The Quintessential American Foods

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
GolferGal and I are having a conversation about this very topic.

Lots come to mind like burgers, apple pie, PB&J, wings, biscuits and gravy, BBQ, clam chowder and a few others.

What is it to you and why?

Burgers, Hot Dogs, and Potato Salad, which are the key components to all my Fourth of July celebrations.

Brats and beans. Just a great combo that can be eaten any time of the year.

Fried chicken

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

• Admin
Apple Pie...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

My wife's late father called them "Family Favorites"... the stuff you see at picnics, family reunions, weddings & funerals... ie "Funeral Potatoes".

Some of his greatest wisdom passed on was which family member was more likely to use expired meat and/or smoked PallMalls in the kitchen while cooking...

Hamburgers, BBQ, PB&J sandwich come to mind

Hot dogs. On the grill at a picnic or off the Sabrett cart in the city, they remind me of all the summertime American holidays. Dont think there is anything more American than a hot dog and beer at a ball game.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I just don’t think you can get more American than BBQ.

Banana Pudding!

Patiently waiting for someone to say Pizza so that great debate can be had lol.

For me, its burgers and fries, BBQ (I'm not picky which kind, because they are all good) and wings. PB&J is my personal favorite snackish food too.

I think you mean beanies and weinies, in which case I agree. That was a staple in my house growing up. Kosher hotdogs chopped up in some sweet Bush's baked beans, yum!

I see the point. Not everyone would be fond of bratwurst. Could definitely throw down some beanies and weinies.

Last edited by a moderator:
New England Clam Chowdah

Chicken Nuggets

Breakfast Burritos

Cheesesteak

BBQ

Fried Chicken Collared Greens Okra and Grits

Chicken and Waffles

Lobster Rolls

Twinkies

I think you mean beanies and weinies, in which case I agree. That was a staple in my house growing up. Kosher hotdogs chopped up in some sweet Bush's baked beans, yum!

I see the point. Not everyone would be fond of bratwurst. Could definitely throw down some beanies and weinies.

Germany would like a word with you regarding brats

As an outsider, you guys get votes for hot dogs (never seen so many places serving so many options) and BBQ from me. Havent made my way into the middle of the country.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bbq, burgers, hot dogs, cheesesteak, apple pie, fried chicken, mac n cheese, coleslaw, pb&j, coca cola, i’m sure there’s more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bacon

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Belly bacon, mac & cheese, hamburgers, frankfurters, chili...I think in terms of generically American foods, those spring to mind as far as meals.

Hamburgers, wings and BBQ. Could easily live off those 3 for life.

Burgers, wings, and BBQ. Add some apple pie, and you have true 'Murica!!

Germany would like a word with you regarding brats

As an outsider, you guys get votes for hot dogs (never seen so many places serving so many options) and BBQ from me. Havent made my way into the middle of the country.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think most would say that burgers and dogs are quintessential American foods, at least in their current interpretation...in which case, quintessential American foods are German foods.

Then again, right now the quintessential and ubiquitous German food is doner kebap, which is Turkish. When I think of the food I'm looking forward to eating when I get to Germany (I get to travel there for work periodically) I think of getting a doner. When I think of coming back to the States, I'm thinking about getting a hamburger.

Fried chicken for sure.

Mac and cheese stands out because every time I would visit my now wife when she was in Boston she would always order it.

Back