Best chance to complete Grand Slam in 2019?

Best chance to complete Grand Slam in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
What say you, THP? Who do you think has the best chance to complete their Grand Slam this season?

Phil Mickelson needs the US Open. It'll be held at Pebble Beach where he's historically played well, at least in the non-major event each year.

Rory needs The Masters. He's had some great rounds there, but hasn't be able to capture the green jacket.

Jordan Spieth needs the PGA. Can he tame Bethpage Black and win another major on another public accessible course?

Brooks Koepka needs both The Masters and the Open. He won two last year. Can he have another showing this year to match it?

Finally, the last feasible possibility for anyone to complete a career Grand Slam would be if Tiger completed his 4th. To do so, he'd need the US Open at Pebble Beach and the Open.

What do you think?

I like Rory's chances, he is starting the year off pretty good.

I think Phil wins at Pebble twice this year.

Do you mean Tiger closing out his 4th set by winning both Opens?

I would say Phil. I don't think the others ever complete it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Of that list I would say rory

I want to say Rory. However, Spieth has done it in the past where he's looked to be in poor form, but show up when it matters.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I don't think any of them get it done, but if I had to pick one, I would say Speith. I am really beginning to wonder if Rory has lost the ability to close the deal. He was close going into the final round of several big tournaments last year and seemed to always flounder on Sunday.

Of that list I would say rory

Did I miss someone with an outside chance? I think the first three are the only ones with one slot to fill, right? The others missing two, I'd say are far from realistic to consider for winning two majors this year (Els, ZJ).

I don't think the others ever complete it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Wow, that's a confident prediction. I'd say Rory and Spieth both have a reasonable chance to complete it at some point. They're both still young and all it'd take is getting down to business and get back in form. They've obviously done it at least 3 times already.

Rory is in fantastic form right now after the last few tournaments he's been in, and not far off from winning. If it wasn't for DJ going crazy last week, he'd be coming off a win this past weekend. Even more so, especially for Augusta, his putting is starting to come around a little. I think Rory has the best chance this year.

Phil isn't accurate enough off the tee to win a US Open. That's been true for years, it didn't suddenly become false this year.

Brooks will, barring injury, win the Grand Slam, but I don't think he wins a green jacket and a claret jug the same year. Though I love the hype machine he'll bring to Portrush if he wins at Augusta.

Rory would need the statistically best performance on the greens at a tournament that not only boasts pane of glass greens, but is also a place where Rory has a pretty considerable amount of scar tissue. He might get a green jacket one day, but it won't be while he's young.

Spieth, on any given weekend, can drop some crazy bombs on the green while also not giving it away with his short irons or putting inside of 15 feet. Until something else happens, he will remain my pick to complete the Grand Slam first.

Wow, that's a confident prediction. I'd say Rory and Spieth both have a reasonable chance to complete it at some point. They're both still young and all it'd take is getting down to business and get back in form. They've obviously done it at least 3 times already.
Don't know how confident I am in it, but the career grand slam is hard. It's not like it happens regularly. How many people have done it? 6?

Remember when Rory was the next Tiger? Then Speith was all the rage. Now Koepka is the hottest big game hunter. Lots of guys win majors, but the grand slam is rare air.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Don't know how confident I am in it, but the career grand slam is hard. It's not like it happens regularly. How many people have done it? 6?

Remember when Rory was the next Tiger? Then Speith was all the rage. Now Koepka is the hottest big game hunter. Lots of guys win majors, but the grand slam is rare air.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Especially at a time when so many golfers are good enough to win tournaments. There are so many great players right now on tour, it's kind of ridiculous to think about.

Rory is the easy pick.

Phil will never win a US Open, and I’m aok with that. Tiger isn’t winning two majors in a season ever again. Jordan has lost it.

Brooks could do it, but Rory is the smart money of those choices.

McIlroy has the best chance in my opinion!!

Rory would be the sensible choice but I still don't have any confidence he can hold it together on the greens at Augusta.

I'd go with Phil at Pebble. It's about the only venue I think he has a chance at to complete the slam.

If it wasn’t a green jacket that Rory needs I would say him but the guy just can’t seem to get the putter working.

If there is going to be a year for Phil it’s now, he has been putting up serious scores so far this year and proved he can perform at Pebble. The USGA said that they were going to have the course set up very similar to how it was at the AT&T. I think it not being cold and wet like it was will help the older guys more so than the young guns. Overall though I’d say if Phil doesn’t get it done this year that Speith will have the next Grand Slam.

If it wasn’t a green jacket that Rory needs I would say him but the guy just can’t seem to get the putter working.

If there is going to be a year for Phil it’s now, he has been putting up serious scores so far this year and proved he can perform at Pebble. The USGA said that they were going to have the course set up very similar to how it was at the AT&T. I think it not being cold and wet like it was will help the older guys more so than the young guns. Overall though I’d say if Phil doesn’t get it done this year that Speith will have the next Grand Slam.

Yeah, I'd say this is Phil's last realistic chance.

I vote Rory for the masters and Phil for the US Open. If Rory doesn’t win, I hope Rickie gets his first major at Augusta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see Rickie having a better chance around those greens than Rory.

Yea for sure. Both have come so close though in years past, I could see either one having a lead on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to say Rory. If he can get Faxon on Augusta with him before the Masters for multiple practice sessions, I believe the added confidence could be the one factor to help Rory close the deal.

I never considered the possibility of Tiger completing a single season slam. I guess that's a possibility now, huh...

I never considered the possibility of Tiger completing a single season slam. I guess that's a possibility now, huh...

Not very likely though. The better chances are for a career grand slam and that will come from players that have 3 of the 4, the one they lack is not the Masters, and they are playing at a high level. Only Jordan Spieth and Phil Mickelson come close to meeting that criterion. Jordan Spieth has been held back by his putting. He says, he thinks he's very close to locking that in. It will have to happen soon as he needs a win at the PGA Championship and that comes up next month. Phil needs to win the U.S. Open. He's been playing well and the Open being at Pebble Beach is a plus for him. But it's not like he's a prohibitive favorite. He's probably one of 20 or so players that could win the U.S. Open this year.

Back