BRtn

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all

New to the forum so thought i'd use this thread to introduce myself.

I'm Ben and I'm losing my mind :banghead:

Golf had been going great for me over winter - I had grooved myself an effortless draw (fighting a push/hook) and was playing the best golf of my life - I had broken 80 twice over winter and pre season. I was a 17hc at the time and after a good start to the season I am now playing off 13.

Last weekend i was 6th place after the first round after one of the clubs biggest competitions of the year and felt that I didn't particularly play very well. Anyway, I head to the range the next day to make sure everything was in order and boom... the good ol' J Arthurs out of no where.

I've had a lesson from my pro and ironed a couple of things out and have found the face of the club 70% of the time, although I have lost all control of the ball - I NR'd my card after 9 holes of the second round after losing 6 balls. My draw is now a massive slice and dead pull; I'm losing my mind.

To make all of this worse, I had ordered myself some new Taylormade RSI's due to be ready this week... talk about bad timing!

I'd love hear your views/advice - all is appreciated!

https://youtu.be/7pu1o2RENgo

https://youtu.be/M0gGO72Mccc

Welcome to THP!

The panda will help you out once he finishes oiling his new hip.

Welcome to THP!

First, recognize that breaking 80 as a 17 handicap twice over the off season is a pretty special accomplishment. According to one source, the odds of a 16 handicap doing this even once are 1,138 to 1. The odds of doing it twice are 14,912 to 1. Congrats!

Good on you for posting the videos. Freddie (aka Panda) will take care of you.

Last edited:
Th beauty of this game is that sometimes we have it but most of the time we don't. We just happen to manage when we don't have it.

it sounds to me like your game just left. And there are a few reasons why. The biggest reason is your down swing is all right hand and there is not wrist set to soak of at the top of your swing. This motion produces a slap shot of sort but in golf. This also means if your swing is off, you will lead with the hosel and that is never good for business.

I would love to see you pull the butt of the club down toward the ball on the down swing. I want the back of the right hand to get the club to the top and the the left to pull it down and through the ball. Try this and let me know how it works out.

Th beauty of this game is that sometimes we have it but most of the time we don't. We just happen to manage when we don't have it.

it sounds to me like your game just left. And there are a few reasons why. The biggest reason is your down swing is all right hand and there is not wrist set to soak of at the top of your swing. This motion produces a slap shot of sort but in golf. This also means if your swing is off, you will lead with the hosel and that is never good for business.

I would love to see you pull the butt of the club down toward the ball on the down swing. I want the back of the right hand to get the club to the top and the the left to pull it down and through the ball. Try this and let me know how it works out.

Hi Freddie, thanks so much for the advice - I feel pretty stupid for completely missing it! Just been to the range to give this a go and here's the first draft if you like.

Feel like I'm spinning left a little bit, I hit quite a few pulls with this thought. Light is always awful when trying to film at this part of the range so sorry for the quality!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LKWMb9lbbU

You are very handsy in your take away and this is placing the club in a very laid off position at the top of your swing. You're throwing the club at the ball on the down swing instead of pulling teh grip down toward the ball. The club is lagging behind you so you are getting hooks or blocks. The should, arms and hips need to be in sync in order to hit solid shots.

Welcome to THP!

:welcome: this post slipped me by with it being in the Freddie thread. Glad you joined in.

You are very handsy in your take away and this is placing the club in a very laid off position at the top of your swing. You're throwing the club at the ball on the down swing instead of pulling teh grip down toward the ball. The club is lagging behind you so you are getting hooks or blocks. The should, arms and hips need to be in sync in order to hit solid shots.

Ok, cool, thanks. This is just what i needed, I appreciate your help.

Welcome to THP!
:welcome: this post slipped me by with it being in the Freddie thread. Glad you joined in.

Thanks guys!

Freddie, when you say I am too handsy in my takeaway do you mean I roll the wrists away? Any tips you have on taking the hands out of the equation? Thanks

Welcome to the board. You'll get your game back so don't go crazy worrying about it.

DTL: http://youtu.be/FJNzNtWOoeA

Face on: http://youtu.be/NLFt4qK1DcM

Taken myself away from competitive golf for a few weeks to work on this. Last competition I played I actually shot a level-gross front 9 and +12 back 9 off the back tees... Lol. Short game saved me.

had a bit of a break over the past week or so too which has helped I think.

anyway, how do you think this is looking? First swing you see from DTL was quite a big pull and second was one of the nicest I've hit in ages... Good strike, baby draw. The former rearing its head most frequently!!

as always, I appreciate your time, thanks!

Really struggling to get my swing back into shape. Don't have a face on swing due to limited practice time. Wild is an understatement. Id be interested to see if I'm still making same faults as before. I've worked a lot on improving backswing but still in a mess! Thanks.

https://youtu.be/K_pVG0g36QE

Really struggling to get my swing back into shape. Don't have a face on swing due to limited practice time. Wild is an understatement. Id be interested to see if I'm still making same faults as before. I've worked a lot on improving backswing but still in a mess! Thanks.

wild? it looks pretty good to me. i'd check grip, and maybe stand just a fraction farther away. it looks pretty on plane to me.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP! Looks like Freddie got the fix for ya! Keep up the good work, glad you're here!

You've stabilized the club going up to the top, but you are still coming across the ball through the strike. On top of that you are stalling in the hitting zone so your club head is getting ahead of your hands, thus the wildness you are seeing. Key would be to learn how to get the club coming from the inside on a shallower path and to hold off on applying the speed to the club until you are at impact.

I see nothing majorly wrong with this new video. The swing is quite good actually except for the arms not being in front of your chest. They are lagging and so your forward momentum with upper body makes you swing OTT. If the club were to stay in front of the chest at the start of the down swing, you would be able to fire down the line.

I'm pleased with the over all swing outside of what I mentioned. A good drill is to take your address position, then place the butt of the club in your sternum and extend the hands down the shaft until they form a triangle. Rotating the shoulders away while keeping the butt in your sternum and then swing the arms to the top. In the down swing the arms return back to the sternum and then the shoulder pull them through. When this becomes second nature you will react in aoa lit second and the club will be in the slot. Make sense?

You've stabilized the club going up to the top, but you are still coming across the ball through the strike. On top of that you are stalling in the hitting zone so your club head is getting ahead of your hands, thus the wildness you are seeing. Key would be to learn how to get the club coming from the inside on a shallower path and to hold off on applying the speed to the club until you are at impact.
Hitting late or adding power late is a real disaster for some of us.For me speed is the same back and thru.Varying speeds is just asking for consistency problems.Under pressue I would forget what speed to use and when.

I see nothing majorly wrong with this new video. The swing is quite good actually except for the arms not being in front of your chest. They are lagging and so your forward momentum with upper body makes you swing OTT. If the club were to stay in front of the chest at the start of the down swing, you would be able to fire down the line.

I'm pleased with the over all swing outside of what I mentioned. A good drill is to take your address position, then place the butt of the club in your sternum and extend the hands down the shaft until they form a triangle. Rotating the shoulders away while keeping the butt in your sternum and then swing the arms to the top. In the down swing the arms return back to the sternum and then the shoulder pull them through. When this becomes second nature you will react in aoa lit second and the club will be in the slot. Make sense?

Thanks for reply Freddie. Yeah I think I get what you mean, I can definitely picture this in my head anyway! i will give this a go and post another vid when I can.

Also, thanks to the rest of you for your replies- all very much appreciated!

Quick update. I managed to get some practice in today and played a few holes. Getting quite lots of fat shots, although I have had a one or two sweet strikes. Managed to get a swing filmed. Is this looking along the right lines? with that drill it feels like I'm keeping my back to target for longer and pulling through.

http://youtu.be/jmt1n1U-3g0

edit: just realise ldn how disconnected my takeaway is... Can't win with this game!

Last edited:
I've got news for you. That swing is pretty darn solid. Club is a bit shut on the back swing but you get back to square nicely. Just be aware of it if you start hitting pulls or hooks.
Quick update. I managed to get some practice in today and played a few holes. Getting quite lots of fat shots, although I have had a one or two sweet strikes. Managed to get a swing filmed. Is this looking along the right lines? with that drill it feels like I'm keeping my back to target for longer and pulling through.

http://youtu.be/jmt1n1U-3g0

edit: just realise ldn how disconnected my takeaway is... Can't win with this game!

I've got news for you. That swing is pretty darn solid. Club is a bit shut on the back swing but you get back to square nicely. Just be aware of it if you start hitting pulls or hooks.

Thanks man! Very pleased with progress, I feel like I'm close to getting some good golf in again!

I've just been to the range tonight and striking the ball pretty poorly. I like to play a draw as it suits my eye much better, although getting lots of cuts. Vid below (sorry for all the vids!), I'd love your insight on this. thanks again for your help- you've been more help than a few lessons I've had on trackman over the past couple of months!!

https://youtu.be/LIZEa4jMbQE

Thanks man! Very pleased with progress, I feel like I'm close to getting some good golf in again!

I've just been to the range tonight and striking the ball pretty poorly. I like to play a draw as it suits my eye much better, although getting lots of cuts. Vid below (sorry for all the vids!), I'd love your insight on this. thanks again for your help- you've been more help than a few lessons I've had on trackman over the past couple of months!!

https://youtu.be/LIZEa4jMbQE

Let me guess, you're hitting a little block shot? You're very upright so I'd give step away from the ball just a tad. This should allow for a better inside to out swing. Just don't forget to release the hands. This should produce a slight draw.

Let me guess, you're hitting a little block shot? You're very upright so I'd give step away from the ball just a tad. This should allow for a better inside to out swing. Just don't forget to release the hands. This should produce a slight draw.

Yeah, block/fade. Often hitting out of the heel too. I do feel like I'm holding off the release quite a bit now you mention it so will bear that in mind as well as stepping back a tad, thanks. Hopefully get to the range tomorrow for a hit!

Back