leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
What was your last aha moment in golf? What happened? What did you learn?

Every time I pull up to the first part of a THP Event, I have one. It seems cliche, but it's true. Creating positivity and fun is infectious and seeing it all come together brings the "aha" every time.

My aha moments in golf usually happen as a result of a negative outcome/what caused a bad shot.

One that has now fully ingrained is grip pressure. Too tight = poor result. Loosen up = it at least has a chance to be good.

Last round just trusting the outdoor swing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last moment came when looking at a @golfergal photo from the Ultimate Weekend in 2018. I learned my grip had gotten sloppy and was causing some real problems at the top

Bringing my elbows back to my side when putting. I’d let them move out and forward over the last few years.

Had several recently. Mostly from my first tournament of the year. One of my teammates is really good and watching him I learned a few things about my short game. I played a quick 9 yesterday and for the first time I feel like I am right on the verge of turning the corner and putting it all together for a really good round.

When I stopped trying to swing hard with driver, then I was making better drives.

I had an aha moment yesterday on the launch monitor when I was messing with a grip change. I was hitting 8 irons and switched from my Vardon grip to an interlocking grip that I haven’t played with used since I was 14. I immediately picked up 4-5 yards likely because it seemed to reduce tension. It also worked for my other clubs but I’ve been at this game long enough to know that today when I hit balls, the change will not show any such increase in speed or distance.

Swing ah ha moment last week.

Finally learned how to keep my head still on my back swing.

My greenside wedge play was atrocious until one shot (last summer at Dove Mountain GC) when I just let the clubhead basically drop on its own toward the ball. *ding*

From that point on, my wedges have become pretty dependable.

In a tournament this past weekend, I hit a shot that rolls into the bunker. No problem I think as I drive up, I'm a good sand player. Someone left the rake in the bunker, right up to the lip. You guessed it, my ball rolls to rest on the !@#$% rake, flush with the fairway. I move the rake and ball does not move, but I have an impossible shot. Takes me three shots to get out of the bunker. I end the tournament tied for second by one shot.

Tough break. What I learned: 1. in a casual round, I would have foot wedged that to the middle of the bunker, where it should of been sans rake. Consequence is that I have never practiced that shot in my life and when I needed it I had no idea how to hit it. I learned to play 'em as they lie and learn. 2. move the !@#$% rake so it doesn't happen to someone else.

Standing slightly to close to the ball. Although it looked fine at address, it led to draws and hitting off the heel. Had the pro during a recent iron fitting notice it. Taught me one small thing to do to see where I really need to be at address regarding distance from ball. First round out afterwards (a 4 man scramble), I hit many more straight shots. Not saying I didn't hit any draws or anything, but had a much more consistent flight, especially with my irons and wedges.

oh i've had plenty of aha moments, whether on the range, during a round, or making practice swings in the mirror. the problem is, NONE of them has ever stuck.

right now i'm having a wtf moment with pretty much every part of my game. i kinda wanted to punch something walking away from the short game practice area last night. i guess that means i need to take a break for a little while to remind myself that this is supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

I don't really believe in them, because today's aha is often tomorrows wtf?

But I've been working on a full shoulder turn and a pause at the top, obviously good results.

About two weeks ago, I played a round with a good golfer who was struggling. On most of the holes everyone in our group was beating him tee to green. He really wasn't playing well and it was unusual, but at the end of the round he still had the lowest score. That reinforced all the old sayings about where to spend time practicing. Even a hack like me can get around the green in regulation.

Last one came towards the end of my last round. Letting my arms start the downswing and then pulling my hips through almost eliminates my out to in swing path, which has drastically cut down my slice.

Should be common sense, just took me a long time to find the common ground I guess

I find aha moments are only temporary for me. Usually when I think I have a breakthrough moment, the issue or fix was only temporary and its back to basics, practice and hard work.
So my aha moment is when I realized that aha moments aren’t permanent.

A good buddy had been experiencing putting woes for a couple seasons. He made the discovery this winter that he was, oddly enough, watching the putter head on the backswing. Says he's been carpet putting lights out now that he just looks at the ball.

I find aha moments are only temporary for me. Usually when I think I have a breakthrough moment, the issue or fix was only temporary and its back to basics, practice and hard work.
So my aha moment is when I realized that aha moments aren’t permanent.

Should be etched in marble.

my latest aha moment is my realization that living in a northern climate is really cutting into being able to play more and actually get better :(

My aha moment happened last year. I was always a picker with my irons, trying to barely touch the turf at all. It led to a lot of bladed shots. A lot! I worked on starting my hands in front of the ball, getting good shaft lean. I think, strike down on the ball, take a chunk of turf. Holy crap, what a difference this has made! The feeling when you strike a good iron shot is amazing, and does wonders for my confidence. It has greatly improved my iron play, and my love for irons haha.

When I stopped trying to swing hard with driver, then I was making better drives.

Same here. I seen a tip on making sure your shoulders are relaxed, not tucked up against my ears. I gave it a try and aha, the over the top swing out of my butt move is not my predominate move any more.

I learned that the only difference between a blocked shot and a good shot is that on the blocked shot you were late on your hand rotation through impact. That's it. You were slow on rotating the club face through impact. My miss is a blocked shot. My overcompensation is a pulled shot. I learned this by being in the stall next to a young person getting a lesson. His coach, my coach, was asking questions and when he didn't know the answer was grilling me for them.

Back