Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Irons Review

I'm bumping this so I can find and read it later. I found a local shop with some new and a great price and deciding if I should give them a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd expect they're much easier to hit than the Amp Cell Pros. Best of luck!

Dave

I'd expect they're much easier to hit than the Amp Cell Pros. Best of luck!

Dave

Thanks man, I've had the ACPs in the bag for 3+ seasons now, and just haven't found anything that can beat them out of the bag. When my swing gets out of whack there is no amount of forgiveness that's going to help.

So many great choices this year between Wilson, Hogan, Callaway, and Bridgestone I wish I had the time and money to play them all. Great review Jman!

I went ahead and went with these. They felt great, I actually really liked the DG XP shafts in them. I demoed the Ap2s, Apex pro, psi forged, and Wilson F5 forged. These probably had the thickest of topline amongst them, but we're not fat by any means. The Apex pros were probably the only other club I demoed that I liked equally if not a touch more. But I got them for $32 after trade in so it was really a no brainer.

I got to play 72 holes this week with these. I won't comment much on distance because it's only March and these aren't haven't been bent to my specs. They are definitely more forgiving than my Amp Cell Pros, but boy do they hit them HIGH. I pretty sure I'll be bending these 2* strong as well as 2* flat. The only thing negative I have to say, is the finish it's been 4 rounds and the finish already looks rough.
725728fcbc37ee2653d4b5d961e2c222.jpg
3321039331649f717a37b519f3201ece.jpg
f41e613bc0cbbcf2df78220cabe46ca4.jpg

This thread being at the top reminds me I've got a M3 7 iron laying around if somebody wants to give it a try.

I went ahead and went with these. They felt great, I actually really liked the DG XP shafts in them. I demoed the Ap2s, Apex pro, psi forged, and Wilson F5 forged. These probably had the thickest of topline amongst them, but we're not fat by any means. The Apex pros were probably the only other club I demoed that I liked equally if not a touch more. But I got them for $32 after trade in so it was really a no brainer.

This thread being at the top reminds me I've got a M3 7 iron laying around if somebody wants to give it a try.

How did these irons compare to the F5? More curious than anything else.

More demanding. Less forgiving off the toe as well as lower on the face. Also, these have a sharper click to them at impact while the f5 feel much more muted and "soft" there.

The f5 literally improved on every facet. That of course is just based on the data I've got from the reviews. Ymmv, but the F5 are special.

I haven't hit the F5's yet due to their lack of availability in Canada, but all reports say the F5s blow the M3's out of the water.

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 Irons Review

Take this with a grain of salt, as my time with the f5s were limited to about 30 minutes on the range when demoing irons. The f5s look amazing, the m3s look great, but as I said the black finish is not holding up at all. Now feel is all subjective, but to me the M3s are not clicky. I've had j15 DFs last year or like the Titleist 710 cbs to me those are clicky. The m3s feel great off the center of the face, low on the face and the are harsh, even more so than my ACPs. The F5s felt good but I didn't love the feel, they didn't feel any better on centered strikes. As far easier to hit, I don't know how you can make something easier to hit than the M3s. You hit them and the go straight. I mean I shot an 83 in March here in Michigan on punched greens. These did everything I wanted from them. I won't comment on the f5 forgiveness because i don't think you can get a proper feel for it at the range, hitting off mats.

I know feel (SOUND!) is somewhat subjective, but one recurring comment with these has always been the firmness and click that you get at impact. I mentioned it in this review that it's not as sharp as a Titleist "click" but it definitely is there. That was one of the things they sought remedy/improve on the F5's, and they did so massively.

The m3 are great irons, I'm not saying they aren't, but data point to data point the F5 have improved all around. The speed sole on the is the biggest improvement bringing it over from the C and D series and the ball speed jump seen from that on all misses is quite staggering (going through my notes it would be about 20% better ball speed retention for the F5 on lateral misses, the low miss would be more but I'll have to number crunch later).

In the end, they're both great irons, but the F5 are one of the sleeper sets of the year, and if W/S keeps making strides like this between each release its going to be blissful for us consumers.

Ive had my m3s for awhile and besides the normal wear in the hitting area mine look almost brand new.

I will agree these have a very harsh, clicky sound even on center strikes. But all in all they are a great set of irons and look fantastic and are fun to hit.

I have a set of the m3's now. I was wondering how they compare to the bridgestone j40 dpc? I have been interested in trying the bridgstones, but I wanted to get some opinions on how they compare.

I have a set of the m3's now. I was wondering how they compare to the bridgestone j40 dpc? I have been interested in trying the bridgstones, but I wanted to get some opinions on how they compare.

Oh man, having done the homepage review on these and gamed the J40 DPC for a season, that's an interesting one.

Feel/sound IMO the DPC blow these away, but the harsh clicky nature of these are my only knock on them (and they remedied that BEAUTIFULLY with the new F5's). I think the DPC perform better on toe misses, but the low/high miss is about the same and I saw close distances from the two sets overall.

Thanks for the quick response! I like the m3's okay, but I have just been looking around for something with a little better feel/sound that won't kill me on slight misses out of the bottom or toe. I have read a lot of good things about the j40 dpc but they do look pretty slim in pictures.

Thanks for the quick response! I like the m3's okay, but I have just been looking around for something with a little better feel/sound that won't kill me on slight misses out of the bottom or toe. I have read a lot of good things about the j40 dpc but they do look pretty slim in pictures.

Not as slim as you might think they are, pretty comparable to the M3 at address IMO. Definitely a world of difference in the feel/sound though, and, can be found for great deals too. Both are damn solid irons.

Jman, I appreciate the info. I was wondering about one more that I saw you did a review on. How do the ping i20's compare to the m3?

Jman, I appreciate the info. I was wondering about one more that I saw you did a review on. How do the ping i20's compare to the m3?
You'll get a little larger size sensation from the i20, particularly with the progressive nature of the set. But being honest, they feel and sound way better, they launch higher, and they're better on the toe miss by a good margin.

That is actually what I wanted to hear. I think I may look for a set of i20's to replace my m3's, especially since the i20's seem easier to find than the j40. The m3's were nice just not quite what I was looking for in terms of forgiveness and feel.

Back