Trying To Break 90 Club

I'd do better to leave the driver in the bag on anything shorter than 350y... I recently picked up another hybrid (17 degree; basically a 2i) that's good for 210 or so of the tee and is much more reliable than driver for hitting the fairway. I probably gave up at least 4 shots in my last round punching out sideways from the trees after an errant driver.

Feeling really good about things, though - I'm encouraged. I'll probably get out again Friday. I should come up with a game plan first... make decisions about which club to use off the tee before I get to the course and then stick to the plan.

Par 5 third hole where I played yesterday is 505 yards to the front of the green. I went 3H, 3H which left me 96 yards to the pin. So even on holes 350+ I think a hybrid is doable off the tee.

Tapped from my smarter than me phone.

My first 18 holes of the year and I broke 90, 47,41-88. Par 70. It's combined 9 hole scores but it counts so I'll take it. I played my first 9 on the 12th and my second yesterday. I started 2015 with a 47,49 so i'm off to a better start.

I did it today! Shot 88 I am beyond pumped and yup a 12 shot difference from my round on Sunday.

I went 40 48 and on 8 and 9 I had birdies which felt awesome but of course I card a 9 on hole 10 haha It could have been better but I will take it.

I did it today! Shot 88 I am beyond pumped and yup a 12 shot difference from my round on Sunday.

I went 40 48 and on 8 and 9 I had birdies which felt awesome but of course I card a 9 on hole 10 haha It could have been better but I will take it.

Congrats!

Nice job, buddy! Nice that you're getting out on vacation. How was the course?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nice job, buddy! Nice that you're getting out on vacation. How was the course?

Yeah my wife rules. It will be my last round down here but it was a blast.

Course was in good shape. I don't have much to compare it to especially here in Florida. There was so much water haha I took a penalty on almost every hole on the back 9 but made some solid shots to recover from them.

Yeah my wife rules. It will be my last round down here but it was a blast.

Course was in good shape. I don't have much to compare it to especially here in Florida. There was so much water haha I took a penalty on almost every hole on the back 9 but made some solid shots to recover from them.
I hate water! Nice score.

Nicely done!

Had another encouraging round yesterday. Shot 45 on the front; only played a few holes on the back and had to head out for an appointment.

For the first time ever I had a legitimate shot at reaching a par 5 in 2. 455y par 5; had 160 left in from the middle of the fairway. I'll admit the drive was wind-aided but still... felt good to sneak up on 300y off the tee.

Congrats man...nice score

88, way to go.

Well done!

I shot 40/50 today for a 90. Including 2 OB penalties off tee shots, so really 4 strokes lost. I still have a lot of work to do so I am more consistent on every full shot, but I'm pretty happy with the score. Last year I ended with a low score of 90 in October, so to start out with a 90 (& knowing it could've been a lot closer to 80) is great!

The one thing that is starting to help (and will continue to improve with practice) is I'm using a rangefinder for the first time ever, so now I'm getting valid distances. And coupling this with getting a feel for partial swings with each wedge, I'm starting to figure out how much of a swing (say, 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock with my 56* is 45 yards, etc.) is necessary for each club.

I'm excited to play again!

40 on the front is really solid. Pretty soon you'll be in the breaking 80 thread!

40 on the front is really solid. Pretty soon you'll be in the breaking 80 thread!

I'm hoping! I am probably practicing more this winter than I have my entire life (total). It's definitely helping!

Thanks but I still need to get more consistent with my all around game. This is the thread for me now

I hope I'm on the tail end of a slump and back on track to shooting 80's again. Shot a 49/42 today. Had some really good drives and some hooks that ended up in 2 triple bogey's. If I eliminated those, could have easily broken 90 today. Hopefully my next round will be back in the 80's

Went 46/42 for an 88 today. Was working on my iron play and it came through nicely. Putting was tough on sanded greens but I survived. Woods need some work; wasn't getting through the ball well with my longer clubs today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went 46/42 for an 88 today. Was working on my iron play and it came through nicely. Putting was tough on sanded greens but I survived. Woods need some work; wasn't getting through the ball well with my longer clubs today.

Good job rickterp!

Great job Rick!

Nice round, especially this early in the year!

Big fail today, too many 3 putts and 3 penalties but did hit some good shots out there

Big fail today, too many 3 putts and 3 penalties but did hit some good shots out there

3-putts are the killer... I've been 3-putt free for 2 rounds now!

I haven't dropped in here in a while. Not due to good scores or bad scores.
I have just finished a stretch of 9 days of golf in a row.
Scores - 103, 94, 92, 84, 88, 91, 91, 87, 83.
The first round was a bad round - lots of lost balls. I think I lost 5 or 6.
Then things got better, after I had "warmed up". I switched my driver after the first day, FIR went up a little bit, distance was increased.

Trying To Break 90 Club

47/46 - 93 today. 4 pars, 7 bogeys, 6 doubles and one triple. Tied a PB with 5 GIRs.

Putter completely deserted me. 6 three putts on the way to FORTY putts overall.

Ball striking was good again as evidenced by the 5 GIRs.

Scary moment - par four with a valley off the tee, a plateau in the fairway, another valley then the green. Didn't see anyone on the hole when I hit my tee shot.

Landed just short of the plateau. Drove up far enough to see the flag, walked back with my 8i, took aim and fired away - only to see a foursome (two parents and two young kids) walking up from the valley to the green! I completely missed seeing them; they must've been in the valley out of line of sight from the tee box AND my second shot the entire time I was on the hole. They hadn't been in front of me all day so not sure if they popped over from another hole or what. That happens a lot on this hole since it plays back to the clubhouse and is a popular "let's just play one more hole" diversion on the way back to the clubhouse.

I immediately walked up hat-in-hand to apologize. They hadn't seen my ball fly over their heads and land on the green so they were confused.

Very fortunate that I didn't hit one of the kids. I felt terrible about it.

EDIT: two putted for par ;-)

Back