Deep vs Shallow FW Woods

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So I’m having a long conversation via text this morning with a golf industry person about fairway woods. It goes on for pages, so I thought I would ask THPers.

Have you tried both styles and have a preference?

d00cfcb4de1382e1cad4f97820557e9d.jpg

i struggle with fw off the deck. low profile all day long. i will say deeper face is a little easier off the tee though.

I'm going to go the cop out route and say 'neither'. I just prefer something in the middle for a small amount of versatility. My 3 wood is primarily a tee club when I can't miss right or need to stay short of something, but I do hit it off the deck often enough, and in crucial situations, that it needs to work.

I love a deep 3 wood off the tee, but I've never been able to hit one off the deck with any consistency.
I love a shallow 3 wood off the deck (like the Ping G400 for example) but hate the way it looks on the tee box. The shallower profile seems to help me stay steeper and launch it/spin it properly.

I can honestly say I don't mind either, its about the results when it comes to FWs for me. I don't have an issue playing them off the deck or tee. Now... the driver on the other hand...

I think I prefer lower profile 3w's. I can hit them just as good off the deck or off the tee.

Whatever performs best at 5W. I've played both profiles with no issues. 3W needs to be a lowish profile for me though if I'm ever going to attempt to hit it off the deck. I'm mental when it comes to 3W though. I'm also certainly not hitting driver off the deck. Batting 0% in that department so I don't even try.

I have tried both and I prefer the low profile. Mostly because I feel I hit the center of the clubface better on the turf with the low profile.

Maybe I bought into the marketing of the tight lies because I gravitate toward a shallow face though I rarely hit a 3 wood off the fairway in the past.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Definitely low profile. Deep face is a chucky dunk waiting to happen for me

I am fine with either off the deck but do prefer the deeper face off the tee.

Low profile off the deck although I haven't tried the deep face theory so there might be some validity to that. I'll have to try it.

Shallow face for me. You’re looking at the worst fw player from deck. I took a plunge getting G400 5W and I finally able to hit it from fairway. It looked weird looking down at address with that squashed head but can’t argue with result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though I use mine most often from the tee, I still want a shallow face for the occasional off the deck shot.

I'd be open to a different club shape though - deep face with a flat section on the bottom so that it can still sit close to the turf.

Shallow for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to think I needed low profile, have hit both over the years, and I don't think there is much of a difference. If I am swinging well I can hit either, if I am swinging poorly I struggle with both.

Shallow.

Deeper (bigger) fw woods give me issue when trying to hit them off the deck. I have found the last few versions of FW that i have put in my bag from Callaway fit the profile I like and can play. I'm not sure where they fall, but whatever they are, I'm in that camp.

I miss the deeper faces, especially off a tee.
I understand the lower CG and higher launch, but feel more confident over a deeper(taller) faced wood.

Sitting high in the tall grass of the rough, or in an awkward lie... The last thing I want to run through my mind is getting under the ball, or worse sky marks. Just the amount of green and debris on the club face on a good shot makes me cringe. The last thing I want to see is a mark on top. Won't carry a marked wood in my bag.

Irons? doesn't phase me at all. I'd scuff up wedges all day long, and rust them on Sunday.

I'm going to go the cop out route and say 'neither'. I just prefer something in the middle for a small amount of versatility. My 3 wood is primarily a tee club when I can't miss right or need to stay short of something, but I do hit it off the deck often enough, and in crucial situations, that it needs to work.

I love a deep 3 wood off the tee, but I've never been able to hit one off the deck with any consistency.
I love a shallow 3 wood off the deck (like the Ping G400 for example) but hate the way it looks on the tee box. The shallower profile seems to help me stay steeper and launch it/spin it properly.

I'm pretty much the same way. I use the 3 wood primarily off the tee so I like that deep face. On the rare occasion I hit it off the deck I'd prefer to have a shallow face but I don't want to give up the confidence and performance off the tee.

I have no issue elevating a fairway wood and love a deep faced wood because of this. I also like using them from the tee box and the deep face helps here.

IMO - people who have no issue with a FW off the deck will gravitate to the deeper face for versatility.

Are we talking like a normal 3W vs. a 3-deep or mini-driver style? If so, I'm firmly in the lower profile camp because I like to be able to hit 3W from the fairway. I tried hitting my driver off the deck the other day just for fun and it did not go well.

My opinion is deep face for pickers, shallow face for diggers. The flat soled shallow faced fairway works great for keeping the club out of the dirt and slowing it down. The more oval shaped face with a deeper middle works great for pickers because if they don't quite get to the ground they can still catch the ball with that deep part. Some clubs now though have a flat sole and a deeper rectangular face. I think this is trying to do the best of both worlds, but it doesn't work as well as the rounded sole with the deeper middle face for pickers (I am a picker).

Deeper face is great for me off the tee, but I am indifferent in the fairway.

Back