Full distance wedge shots

golfer_teej

is it spring time yet?
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Im not sure if anyone can offer a suggestion without a video. I game my pitching wedge at 120-125, and my 50 degree around 110-115. For 100 yard shots I would assume that my 54 degree would fill that spot. However it doesnt matter if its a vokey, callaway or my current mizuno full swings with my 54 degree travel about 75 yards and im lucking to hit anything over 56 degrees 50 yards.

My ball mark on my 54 wedge is usually slightly higher than on my 50 wedge. Im assuming this is the issue - is that assumption correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Im not sure if anyone can offer a suggestion without a video. I game my pitching wedge at 120-125, and my 50 degree around 110-115. For 100 yard shots I would assume that my 54 degree would fill that spot. However it doesnt matter if its a vokey, callaway or my current mizuno full swings with my 54 degree travel about 75 yards and im lucking to hit anything over 56 degrees 50 yards.

My ball mark on my 54 wedge is usually slightly higher than on my 50 wedge. Im assuming this is the issue - is that assumption correct?

Maybe coming in too steep or hitting a bit behind the ball? That would cause it to hit a bit higher on the face. I'm curious as to responses as well because I struggle with this sometimes too.

I kinda have the same problem too.
The harder I hit it the higher it goes.
It has more to do with keeping the hands ahead of the ball more.
I hit my PW 125 , GAP 95 , SW 75 and LW 50 so the only real gap is between the PW and GAP.
I usually just either choke down or take a letter swing or a combo thereof.

I came in to say pretty much what smschulz is suggesting. You might be adding more loft to the club if your hands are in a different position than when you us your PW and 50*.

I had this problem with my 50 and 56*. I ended up "fixing" it by presetting forward shaft lean at address. I guess forcing me to keep hands forward at impact. Probably not proper fix but corrected my gap issue.

I used to have this same problem constantly but I'm getting better. You have to forward press a LOT more than sometimes feels right with short wedges to promote the proper hands-ahead contact. Otherwise you essentially flip the hands and the clubhead starts beating your hands to the ball.

What has helped me with distance control on full wedges is 1) further back ball position 2) forward press 3) playing a draw with my wedges. Those three things work together to keep my trajectory from getting too high and my distance predictable.

I appreciate this very much everyone! I would have never thought of the forward hand press, i would have kept assuming ball position on my swing.

This does make a great deal of sense.

Are you using same shafts in all your wedges? That's one place that could be different.

Otherwise, you might look into length of the club and how you setup to the ball might be different, contributing to hitting it high on the face.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Are you using same shafts in all your wedges? That's one place that could be different.

Otherwise, you might look into length of the club and how you setup to the ball might be different, contributing to hitting it high on the face.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I do use the same shaft on all my irons/wedges and my 54 and 58 are actually .25 shorter

If that is the case, then certainly you would lose a little speed from a shorter length, but not so much that you should be coming up 20 yards short of expected.

When it comes to full shot with lofted wedges, the most important part is the dynamic loft, meaning the loft at impact, either you are "scooping" the wedge causing it to roll off the top of the face or you're bouncing it off the turf causing an inconsistent strike. Try to keep your leading hand in front of the ball (towards target) and strike the ball with a little more lag, in effect delofting the wedge and get a cleaner strike.

I had and still have this issue. My 54* doesn't match the rest of the bag. But I figured out that I'm leaving the face slightly open and the ball is rolling up the face. I've made a real conscience effort to keep the face square and swing short with plenty of speed. I don't swing but make sure my speed is good through the ball.

If that is the case, then certainly you would lose a little speed from a shorter length, but not so much that you should be coming up 20 yards short of expected.

When it comes to full shot with lofted wedges, the most important part is the dynamic loft, meaning the loft at impact, either you are "scooping" the wedge causing it to roll off the top of the face or you're bouncing it off the turf causing an inconsistent strike. Try to keep your leading hand in front of the ball (towards target) and strike the ball with a little more lag, in effect delofting the wedge and get a cleaner strike.

I had and still have this issue. My 54* doesn't match the rest of the bag. But I figured out that I'm leaving the face slightly open and the ball is rolling up the face. I've made a real conscience effort to keep the face square and swing short with plenty of speed. I don't swing but make sure my speed is good through the ball.

Thanks guys. Once it stops sleeting in MN I look forward to some range work with this helpful information!

Ive been working on taking more, club, choking down, and hitting it easier and lower. Im still working it out but Ive already been more accurate than in years past. My goal is to never swing a full wedge again

This is what I find as well. Too much effective loft, shots off to the right. loss of expected distance.

Good read, here. I'm going to try the tips on keeping the ball coming off the club properly. I, too, hit PW about 125, GW 115, and my 60 goes 85-90 full swing......but so does my 54 half the time. I'd say it's my 100-110 club only about 1/2 the swings. I didn't even pull it last round because I don't know what it's going to do, so I just choked the GW and compensated. Honestly, after the last couple rounds, I think I could just pull the 54 and go with the above setup.

Back