Member guest ideas.

Dgalland

Reaction score
Handicap
I was wondering if anyone here has or goes to a member guest event and has any suggestions or things they have done to make it better. I am on our comitee this year and always looking for new fresh ideas. Our member guest is three days and we have 2 nights of outstanding parties. Gift ideas or party ideas welcome also. Thanks in advance.

I was wondering if anyone here has or goes to a member guest touramanet and has any suggestions or things they have done to make it better. I am on our comitee this year and always looking for new fresh ideas. Our member guest is three days and we have 2 nights of outstanding parties. Gift ideas or party ideas welcome also. Thanks in advance.

Do you typically offer gifts in the form of apparel or equipment? My course transitioned to proshop credit last year and I think that was really well received.

I was wondering if anyone here has or goes to a member guest touramanet and has any suggestions or things they have done to make it better. I am on our comitee this year and always looking for new fresh ideas. Our member guest is three days and we have 2 nights of outstanding parties. Gift ideas or party ideas welcome also. Thanks in advance.

Don't know how you're setting it up but in the ones I've been to, other than the tournament itself, the smaller contests are a ton of fun. Last one I was at had a long drive contest, a putt putt style contest on the practice green and a pitching contest from an elevated spot near the closest green to the club house. I think the pitching contest was the highlight as they had it during lunch one day so everyone was there to watch and cheer or heckle everyone else. The other two were fun as well, but not as interactive since folks did them as they had time. Believe the prize was a new wedge from the pro shop.

Do you typically offer gifts in the form of apparel or equipment? My course transitioned to proshop credit last year and I think that was really well received.

Yeah, we won some of this as well. It's awesome as long as the pro shop has a reasonably good stock.

Our member guest last year included a blind draw cash shootout after the saturday round. That was a whole ton of fun

Our Member/Guest was also played over three days, with a practice round optional the day before the actual event. We also had two dinners, one of which included spouses, and was where the formal presentations were made, the other held out of doors on the first night near the range and putting greens. At the latter one, we held skills contests, with prizes. It was a huge hit, because, of course, the drinks are flowing, food available while competing in the contests, etc. The putting contest (over an obstacle course set up on the putting green with hazards, etc.) was hilarious, because, by that time contestants had enjoyed a few cocktails/beer or whatever. Those who over indulged there, of course, had a rough morning on the first tee, but it was all good.

I do like the obstacle course putting idea. And yes I agree with the drinks flowing that would be a good time. And yes I'm that guy that feels it the next morning, gonna try for later tee time this year.

We have done a closest to the pin contest, 150 yards to a pin in the 10th fairway. $5 a ball, 3 for $10. winner splits with the jr staff members. It usually got up to $1000-$1200. Also a 9 hole mini golf course set up on the practice green using string as boundries, putt out of the string, 1 shot penalty. $10 to play, low scores 3 hole playoff, winner also splits with the kids. Lots of fun.

We do a horse race during our stag night. Divide the field up by flights (ie flights 1-3 on hole 1, flights 4-6 on hole 10.) Pure alternate shot with your partner. After each hole, eliminate a certain number of teams (for example everyone who makes par moves on after first hole) or some variation. End up with 1 team winning but can pay out several places. It's a lot of fun and quite a bit of pressure.

We also do a scotch and cigar party at the end of the stag night which gets pretty rowdy.

We've added a 'closest to the keg' which is sitting in 1 of 4 greenside bunkers for a jug of beer

I was wondering if anyone here has or goes to a member guest event and has any suggestions or things they have done to make it better. I am on our comitee this year and always looking for new fresh ideas. Our member guest is three days and we have 2 nights of outstanding parties. Gift ideas or party ideas welcome also. Thanks in advance.

Format depends if everyone has handicaps or not. Scramble is always fun. You can give away or raffle off pro shop gift checks. In a swanky one I attended they got a liquor supplier to give out free glasses of wine and free shots of single malt whisky. Some roasting or barbecue would also be great.

My club's Member Guest is next week. Here is what they are doing (new this year, and this is my first year participating):

6 team flights based upon handicap. Five 9-hole best ball matches against the other teams in your flight. Winner of flights play each other (net) for overall winner.

Putting contest the first night.

That is all I know so far. There are 60 teams playing.

The one I went to last year had perfectly round circles painted in an 18" circumference around each hole to mark mandatory gimme's. It helps with speed of play and fairness.

They also did long drive and putting contests after a round in front of everyone, which I thought was a lot better than just having a long drive hole.

They had a party on the last day where wives showed up in summer cocktail dresses and everyone followed the final groups around the course (the setup was such that the champion was established via match play, much like Spivey describes). It was pretty cool to have everyone on the course like that.

A small club I used to belong to one of the committee members came up with a great idea of putting a tent with beers, food and a flat screen tv (for watching the US Open) on one of the par 3 holes.
People can hang out and eat without going to the club house but also sit outside the tent and watch the players hitting up on the par 3.
You had the Pheonix open type hole where you can get cheered, jeered and harassed. It was a lot of fun!

I've never played in my home course member/guest, honestly never seemed worth the money/time and I haven't really found a partner I know we'd have fun with, then I got to thinking, there are a ton of THPers I'd love to play with, I know it's been done in the past, I'm kicking around the idea of a find your member/guest partner on THP kind of thing.

I used to travel from SC to Waco, Tx to play with my best friend in his member-guest. They have a calculta opening night, practice rounds, cart girls with open bar during each round, breakfast lunch and dinner each of the 3 days. Spouses invited the Sat night dinner. Long drive and closet to pin each day. It was a blast.

Everything based on your handicap, but there were SO many cheaters and sand baggers that we stopped playing. It was amazing how many poeple cheat in these tournament. I should understand because we have a Brain Ijury Tournament every year without great prizes as it is for charity and many people cheat for a damn tropy.

Sorry for the old thread bump, but brainstorming has started for next year. Dan, are they still doing the pro shop credit? As a percentage of the total cost to participate per player, what's the pro shop credit portion?

Anyone else have some fun SWAG ideas? Side games? etc.?

My club does a par 3 contest "under the lights" from the back patio of the clubhouse.

We have a green that is ab 100yds from back patio of the clubhouse. They get some portable lights and light the green. Setup an elevated range mat back on the back patio.
This is held the Thursday night before the tournament kicks off and right after the Calcutta auction so everyone is typically well lubricated.

It's a ton of fun.

Back