any tips on playing in hot muggy conditions?

Tennis19

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
just a brutal day in dallas today. 94 degrees and super humid. the heat index was 107. 1st couple of holes i was pumped up. by the turn i was spent. I drank a lot of water, pour cold water on top of my head. but nothing helped. around 16th i was ready to get off the course. any secrets on how to remain focus when the weather is like this? i think im just going to have to start booking 6-7AM tee times.

hydrate ahead of time if possible, something to replace electrolytes (gatorade, nuun tablets or some other such) and for goodness sakes don't wear khaki or brown shorts.

I have a boonie type cap to try and keep sun off my head, and I will usually dunk it in ice water every few holes to try and cool the head, as well as getting the cold towel on the neck to try and keep body temp down.

Hydration before and during is key. EnglishTurn's suggestion is not a joke. You want clothing that will wick. You want grips that are made of cord. If your hands are slippery on the grip it forces you to grip much harder, expending more energy and leading to all kinds of crazy (and unwelcome) results. Bring and rotate through extra golf gloves. A dry towel is helpful. Obviously, riding is better than walking. Gives you more shade too. The shade is your friend. Start at a slower than usual pace and keep that slower pace.

Obviously you're going to be hot. Hydration is a lifestyle not something you do on days when you golf. If you drink alcohol often then a day like this will wear you out because you are dehydrated in general. Day of water and salty snacks are good, especially nuts because they contain a lot of the other minerals you also need to keep rolling. Also polyester breathable clothing is a must (cotton is a no go imo).

Tee off as late as you can in the afternoon to still get 18 in, for me it’s around 6:30pm.

Hydrate, wear a shirt with some sort of moisture wicking material. I’m always aware where the shade is. I have a cool towel that I soak in water and add water every two or three holes & keep it around my neck between shots

It may sound crazy, but keep a cold, wet towel with you. Just a small one, like a hand towel. Get it wet with cold water before the round, and keep refreshing it as you from the water cooler or if there is a beverage cart, ask to dip it in the cooler with the ice (the non-sanitary ice of course).

It's good to use to wipe your face and hands to keep cool and helps cool the body down a bit. You can put on your head or around your neck between shots and it will definitely help. It also helps to keep your hands dry. Your hands sweat because they are hot, if you cool them off before the shot, they will be dry.

Give it a try sometime, doesn't cost anything.

Hydrate early and often, change gloves when you feel the other one no longer wicking sweat away, snack as you see fit, and ultimately just accept that you’ve made a terrible life decision that day . Nothing really truly helps!

Don't play! LOL :act-up:

Take it from me. I've learned in the past year that I can't play when it's that hot out. I sweat so much, I can't replenish the fluids fast enough. I have been a victim of heat stroke twice now ... both times sent me to the hospital for fluids. One was at a THP Event, so others can tell you it's not fun.

But if you insist on playing then, you must hydrate days beforehand. And when you think you have drank enough, keep drinking because I assure you, you haven't. Avoid alcohol at all costs. Wear one of those cooling towels around your neck. Wear light clothing. All the obvious things really. But you don't think they are obvious until after you forgotten about them. Know the signs of dehydration ... Very dry skin, Feeling dizzy, Rapid heartbeat, Rapid breathing, Sunken eyes, Sleepiness, lack of energy, confusion or irritability.

One bit of advice. Don't do it two (or more) days in a row.

By hydrating sufficiently, dressing in optimum clothing and pacing yourself to avoid overexerting a healthy person can get through a day of golf in brutally humid conditions. But going back out and doing it again the next day is just asking for trouble. Your body may not full recover to normal in less than 24 hours.

Tee off as late as you can in the afternoon to still get 18 in, for me it’s around 6:30pm.

Hydrate, wear a shirt with some sort of moisture wicking material. I’m always aware where the shade is. I have a cool towel that I soak in water and add water every two or three holes & keep it around my neck between shots

I want in!! Lets try for a late evening round soon.

Being from middle GA I typically put down the clubs from the end of July to mid Sept, accept for a few select days where the temps are tolerable. It’s 95+ every day, with 100% humidity. I guess here we are pretty acclimated to the humidity, but it still sucks to walk out side at 8am and be soaking wet by the time you get in your truck.

With that being said they best way I deal with it is to wear “dry fit” everything from your drawers to your hat. You will be surprised at how much cooler a breeze will feel when your balls are getting air on them. Keep some kind of cooler in your cart or bag of ice, with a towel or two in it. Wrap one around your neck or head when you are feeling really hot. It does wonders. I like it when they are so cold it almost puts you in shock when it hits your skin. You will be surprised at how quick your energy returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FINGER TEN Men Golf Gloves All Weather Left Hand 3 Pack, Rain Hot Wet Grip, Fit Small Medium Large XL (White, Medium) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BY623V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Vw3cDb69NR54B

I gave these gloves a try because my leather gloves were getting waterlogged from all the sweat and humidity. Happy to report that they work great. You won’t need cord grips with these.

As for the body and dehydration and overheating... I struggle with that too. Can’t seem to drink enough fluids. I’m okay walking 9, but 18 is a killer! I’m too stiff in the morning to play real early, which I was in the habit of doing a couple years ago... It’s a conundrum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte gets like this also.

Moisture wicking everything from underwear to socks.
Early or late as possible tee times
Ride, don't walk

Other than that HYDRATE. It is just too brutal sometimes and pointless.

Move to Arizona....hot, but little humidity.

Drink water even if you are not thirsty. Dehydration weakens the body quickly and really messes with your judgement.

2 Gatorades. Cold.
Water.

Ice cold towel to wrap around your neck and occasionally squeeze over your head so it runs down your back as well.

Don't play! LOL :act-up:

Take it from me. I've learned in the past year that I can't play when it's that hot out. I sweat so much, I can't replenish the fluids fast enough. I have been a victim of heat stroke twice now ... both times sent me to the hospital for fluids. One was at a THP Event, so others can tell you it's not fun.

But if you insist on playing then, you must hydrate days beforehand. And when you think you have drank enough, keep drinking because I assure you, you haven't. Avoid alcohol at all costs. Wear one of those cooling towels around your neck. Wear light clothing. All the obvious things really. But you don't think they are obvious until after you forgotten about them. Know the signs of dehydration ... Very dry skin, Feeling dizzy, Rapid heartbeat, Rapid breathing, Sunken eyes, Sleepiness, lack of energy, confusion or irritability.[/QUOTE]

I call that "Thursday".

Big brimmed straw hat helps a lot. Let the heat escape and the air move around your dome. Agree, the no cotton rule is in effect, wear thin, light breathable clothes.

I use wicking solar sleeves. In SC it is 100 with 85% humidity. Drink all day to keep hydrated. Sun screen sun screen sun screen. Moisture wicking shirts, shorts and sleeves make all the difference. I bought my solar sleeves at TGW.com

I don't typically play in seriously hot and humid conditions but the few times I have in Georgia or Florida I drink plenty of water/gatorade and stay in the shade whenever possible. A cooling towel works wonders on the back of the neck as well. I also carry several gloves and will change throughout the round. Once I played with a guy that had this spray that he sprayed on his hands that basically stopped them from sweating. Can't remember what it was called but it actually worked really well!

I don't typically play in seriously hot and humid conditions but the few times I have in Georgia or Florida I drink plenty of water/gatorade and stay in the shade whenever possible. A cooling towel works wonders on the back of the neck as well. I also carry several gloves and will change throughout the round. Once I played with a guy that had this spray that he sprayed on his hands that basically stopped them from sweating. Can't remember what it was called but it actually worked really well!

3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive?

https://www.dryhands.com/

I start breaking it out this time of year and it's like I've sprayed my hands with glue. Unfortunately I still sweat so profusely I have to reapply it every couple of holes.

Back