Flight Simulation (PC)

This the route it comes up with using upper airspace.

VR G1 YAZ TR15 DOLFF DCT 41N140W 32N150W DCT APACK DCT UPP KAYAK5

We usually have a few more points in there. We do HF reporting over the ocean and the max time between reporting points is 1:20. Let me know and I can easily grab you the routes our planes are taking that day.
I can also let you know our ETP points for the flight. They basically offer a critical fuel scenario over the ocean where we fly unpressurized at 10000' to an alternate. Anything before that ETP and we can make it to whatever the alternate is (usually KSFO). After that point we carry on to the other alternate (always PHOG). This scenario is for YVR to Hawaii. It would be the reverse back to the mainland. You plot these ETP's on the nav data page on the FMC and add them to the fix page so they show up on the ND.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We usually have a few more points in there. We do HF reporting over the ocean and the max time between reporting points is 1:20. Let me know and I can easily grab you the routes our planes are taking that day.
I can also let you know our ETP points for the flight. They basically offer a critical fuel scenario over the ocean where we fly unpressurized at 10000' to an alternate. Anything before that ETP and we can make it to whatever the alternate is (usually KSFO). After that point we carry on to the other alternate (always PHOG). This scenario is for YVR to Hawaii. It would be the reverse back to the mainland. You plot these ETP's on the nav data page on the FMC and add them to the fix page so they show up on the ND.

Big circles on the FMC!!!

Big circles on the FMC!!!

Yup. And if you want to get super techy you can add 2 more fixes on the fix pages. Mark a 394NM ring around KEUG and another 394NM ring around PHOG. Those are ETOPS entry and exit points. 394 is the still air single engine distance that can be traveled in 60 minutes. It's 394NM for the 737-800. Past those rings you are ETOPS.
Congrats you've officially plotted out the longest over water segment in the world.

Yup. And if you want to get super techy you can add 2 more fixes on the fix pages. Mark a 394NM ring around KEUG and another 394NM ring around PHOG. Those are ETOPS entry and exit points. 394 is the still air single engine distance that can be traveled in 60 minutes. It's 394NM for the 737-800. Past those rings you are ETOPS.
Congrats you've officially plotted out the longest over water segment in the world.

Does that really stand for engines turn or passengers swim?

Lol

Edit: ROFL OK I found the real meaning. That's still funny though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ugh this is getting expensive.

Just bought a 747-400.

Ugh this is getting expensive.

Just bought a 747-400.

It's still cheaper than buying and maintaining your own aircraft.

It's still cheaper than buying and maintaining your own aircraft.

True that. I love the Boeing FMS and lets be honest the 747 is the coolest civilian aircraft ever.

It had to happen.

So the rolls Royce rb211 on the 747 sound amazing.

I'm such a nerd.

It's ridiculous how fast a triple 7 can climb compared to a 747.

I'm glad I finally took the plunge and decided to get on vatsim it's a blast.

I bought a Concorde sim ha-ha holy **** this thing is ridiculous complicated.

Rusty or flying wedge I need your help Sirs.

Could you give me a layman's description of the difference between level change and v/s functions and what dictates which you use?

Thanks;

I just picked up the A2A Simulations Comanche a few weeks ago. Wow what an absolute blast. I love their aircraft.

And I want a Comanche in real life...that doesn't help make that thought go away. I just finished my BFR (biennial flight review) yesterday, but it was in an Archer III. Gorgeous aircraft, but doesn't handle as "spritely" as a 172...consider that 172 and "spritely" should never go together in a sentence in the first place and you know what I mean.

Could you give me a layman's description of the difference between level change and v/s functions and what dictates which you use?

Thanks;

Level change computes vertical speed to climb/descend. For example if you are traveling at 35,000 ft at 300 kts and you adjust the altitude to 15,000 feet, and select level change it will maintain 300 and adjust your vertical speed to maintain that. It will adjust your v/s to speed up or slow down. Vertical speed is just a feet/minute if you will. Less complex airplanes just have v/s and not level change.

Level change computes vertical speed to climb/descend. For example if you are traveling at 35,000 ft at 300 kts and you adjust the altitude to 15,000 feet, and select level change it will maintain 300 and adjust your vertical speed to maintain that. It will adjust your v/s to speed up or slow down. Vertical speed is just a feet/minute if you will. Less complex airplanes just have v/s and not level change.
I misspoke but I think this answers my question anyways. I meant vnav and level change but I think the same applies.

Flight Simulation (PC)

I misspoke but I think this answers my question anyways. I meant vnav and level change but I think the same applies.

Level change is "manual". Vnav is preprogrammed in the FMC but the "logic" is the same. Vnav should calculate v/s based on speed, altitude and distance so you hit the points correctly.

Level change by itself doesn't factor distance.

Last edited:
Flight Simulation (PC)

Thanks;

Level change is the simplest mode to climb or descend.
In a climb, it will set climb thrust with the autothrottles and climb out at the speed you have set in your MCP speed window.
In a descent, it will command idle thrust and descend at the speed you set in the MCP speed window.

If you use V/S, the airplane will adjust its thrust and pitch to maintain whatever you have selected in the V/S window. We generally don't use this much as there is no autothrottle airspeed protection and it's a quick way to stall (high speed or low speed) if you're not paying attention. I use it on the climb when we have a low level off. For example, if on departure ATC tells you to level off at 7000' because of arrival traffic descending to 8000', using level change will have you climbing at a high rate. TCAS systems don't like this and could issue a resolution alert (RA). Basically it senses a potential collision. To avoid this through about 5000', I'll switch from level change to v/s and adjust it to a 1000 fpm climb and 250 KIAS. The TCAS won't start screaming at us. On a descent I'll use it on radar vectors to shallow out a descent to avoid levelling off.

VNAV is the mode we use most and that's the FMC's computing and flying the most economical vertical profile based on a cost index we enter into the CDU on our preflight. It works great unless you're on radar vectors and then you have to switch to a different mode.

So, our preference is:
VNAV
Level change
V/S

More on VNAV.
We usually set it on departure through 3000'. It will command a speed of 250 KIAS. At 10000' it will command a speed depending on the cost index and winds. Usually between 270-310 KIAS. On level off it will command a cruise speed based on the cost index. On the 737 usually .78 at a high altitude (38000-41000'). Mid thirties around .74-.75.
VNAV also computes a descent point based on a cost index speed. It will start its own descent (as long as a lower altitude is in the MCP window) and follow the desired VNAV speed.
VNAV also takes SID and STAR altitude and airspeed constraints into play and will base its profile and speeds based on them.
We could do all this in level change but we have to manually adjust airspeed and V/S profiles to achieve this. Easier in VNAV.

What cost index do you guys usually run on the Hawaii runs?

More on VNAV.
We usually set it on departure through 3000'. It will command a speed of 250 KIAS. At 10000' it will command a speed depending on the cost index and winds. Usually between 270-310 KIAS. On level off it will command a cruise speed based on the cost index. On the 737 usually .78 at a high altitude (38000-41000'). Mid thirties around .74-.75.
VNAV also computes a descent point based on a cost index speed. It will start its own descent (as long as a lower altitude is in the MCP window) and follow the desired VNAV speed.
VNAV also takes SID and STAR altitude and airspeed constraints into play and will base its profile and speeds based on them.
We could do all this in level change but we have to manually adjust airspeed and V/S profiles to achieve this. Easier in VNAV.

By the way thanks for the amazing information!!!

What cost index do you guys usually run on the Hawaii runs?

We do fixed Mach to Hawaii (oceanic no radar airspace) so cost index doesn't matter. Enter 0 for the CI and manually enter a 300/.78 on the climb page, .78 on the cruise page and .78/280 on the descent page.

It's on the ETOPS checklist I gave you.

We do fixed Mach to Hawaii (oceanic no radar airspace) so cost index doesn't matter. Enter 0 for the CI and manually enter a 300/.78 on the climb page, .78 on the cruise page and .78/280 on the descent page.

It's on the ETOPS checklist I gave you.
Yep I'm in Texas until Monday so I won't be able to download it.

Thanks so much!

There are at minimum 2 people posting in this thread that need to come and attend Iowa 2016. Can you guess who that is? Oh and I don't count!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I couldn't handle golfing/talking with actual pilots. I'd geek out

I couldn't handle golfing/talking with actual pilots. I'd geek out

Lol I doubt it. Just down to earth golfing discussions. Get to Iowa and play! Besides with my training. I might not be there for all of it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Back