The nice thing about this forum is many get to say their opinion without people coming on and saying your nuts....

As the OP... let me put forth my explanation of a draw fade.

DRAW...Is a ball that starts offf "slightly right of your attended target line and does all it`s movement to the left before reaching its apex and at its apex rolls over on to the target..It does not move to the left after it`s apex... it falls down on the target....maximum ball movement from right to left is about 4 yards..

Fades is the exact opposite on the left of the target line.

HOOK..Is a ball that immediately moves right and is curving left both as it`s ascending and descending meaning it`s a big curve...from beginning to end and when landing runs far left...

The differences in ball flight between a Draw and Hook are easily seen a hook is one big curve from where it starts to where it ends and a Draw is a ball flight that tracks slightly right of the target line curving before it reaches its apex and then falls on the target...What do you think of this?...Jim

A draw is usually started down the right side of the fairway and will draw right to left about 5-10 yards. Most hooks are pull hooks and they start out center or right center and go way left. A fade is the same as adraw except it is started down the left side of the fairway and it fades 5-10 yards. A slice is a ball that starts left and goes more than 15 yards to the right. This is of course based on a right handed golfer. Then there is a block fade that starts right and fades 5-10 yards.

while everyone here is right so far about a draw or a fade, I have always thought about it like this. A draw (for you righty's) starts to right of your target line, and draws back to your target line, if it goes to far past your target line then it was a hook. A fade, starts to the left of your target line, and then fades back to your target, again if it goes to far, it was a slice.

This. Usually push-fades or pull-draws are mislabeled as "proper draw/fade". It's all about the targetline.

Difference is more swing path and club face angle and where the ball starts in relation to the target line than how far left or right the ball travels. Assuming a right hand player, a draw is a ball that starts slighlty right of the intended target line due to an inside-out swing path and curves left towards the target because of a square club face (or slightly open depending on how far inside-out you are.) Fade is the same inside-out swing path but with an open club face. Slice and hooks are caused by outside-in swing paths (over the top) and either an open or closed club face.

I had this link save that really breaks it down:
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/ballflight.php?ref=

Difference is more swing path and club face angle and where the ball starts in relation to the target line than how far left or right the ball travels. Assuming a right hand player, a draw is a ball that starts slighlty right of the intended target line due to an inside-out swing path and curves left towards the target because of a square club face (or slightly open depending on how far inside-out you are.) Fade is the same inside-out swing path but with an open club face. Slice and hooks are caused by outside-in swing paths (over the top) and either an open or closed club face.

I had this link save that really breaks it down:
http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/ballflight.php?ref=

The thread was about ball flight...Mr Tutelmans discusses the 9 flights regarding what club path, face angle, etc that creates them....He is no doubt right in so far as the swing is concerned but there wouldn`t be a single professional that would agree with his line representing a draw...He has the path going right down the target line and then curving left of the target....that is not a draw at all....Anyone that knows anything about a draw will tell you that his representation of a draw is similar to a hook in the last 1/3 of the line ...because the shot hever hits the target his representation of a draw looks like the ball misses the green completely..Jim

Last edited:
As others said about the target line I will agree. I think too much draw/fade just doesn't look as pretty ad a baby draw/baby fade especially when it's for a GIR

Okay I will say like my old grandfather told me years ago "if it goes too far right it's a slice, if it goes too far left it's a hook, and if it goes straight it's a f**king miracle!"

I was 12 when he told me that, word for word...LOL

A draw is a right to left shot for a righty which is my standard shot. A fade is what Team Paradise will be doing during the Sunday singles matches at the MC

Hahahhaa I knew I liked you!!

The thread was about ball flight...Mr Tutelmans discusses the 9 flights regarding what club path, face angle, etc that creates them....He is no doubt right in so far as the swing is concerned but there wouldn`t be a single professional that would agree with his line representing a draw...He has the path going right down the target line and then curving left of the target....that is not a draw at all....Anyone that knows anything about a draw will tell you that his representation of a draw is similar to a hook in the last 1/3 of the line ...because the shot hever hits the target his representation of a draw looks like the ball misses the green completely..Jim

That's why I stated how it starts right of target intended line. I was trying to
Post better pics but it wasn't cooperating last night

That's why I stated how it starts right of target intended line. I was trying to
Post better pics but it wasn't cooperating last night

Oh I`m not disagreeing with you ...I think the Tutelman link graph examples of a draw and fade is just wrong...It will give people the impression that draws end up on the edge of the green...Jim

Back