NBC & Golf Digest To Air Equipment Special

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE

NBC Sports and Golf Digest have teamed up to present the Golf Digest Equipment Special, an insider's look at the latest and greatest in golf technology and equipment. The show, hosted by NBC's Brian Crowell and Dottie Pepper, joined by Golf Digest's Senior Equipment Editors Mike Johnson and Mike Stachura, airs Sunday at 1 p.m. ET, prior to NBC's final round coverage of the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship.

The special aims to demystify golf equipment for the average golfer by visiting many of the leading manufacturers and offers an exploration and celebration of the power of technology to help golfers play better and enjoy the game more. From covering launch monitors that allow players to maximize driver distance to hybrid clubs that lift shots from deep rough as never before, the show's content will educate viewers to the potential of new gear and gadgets. Among the manufacturers featured include TaylorMade, Adams Golf, Callaway, Cobra, Cleveland, Titleist, Ping, Nike and Bridgestone.

Golf Digest editors and equipment-company representatives will explain why staying current with equipment affords not only bragging rights, but also lower scores. Relying on the product testing and research conducted at their annual "Hot List" meetings, Golf Digest and Golf World editors will cover every club category as well as set make-up, custom fitting and practice devices that groove good swings. The show will also display some of the sport's quirkier new products.

In addition to Sunday's broadcast on NBC, the show will re-air on CNBC, Hulu and UniversalHD. NBCSports.com and GolfDigest.com will provide additional material not included in the TV broadcast.

"This is an opportunity for us to celebrate and showcase the golf equipment industry and extend our relationship with our partners at Golf Digest," said Jon Miller, Executive Vice President, NBC Sports.

"Technology in golf clubs and balls has improved dramatically over the past few years, so much so that it's hard for the average golfer to keep up," said Bob Carney, Golf Digest Creative Director. "Along with our partners at NBC, we've created a show that 'sorts it out' for weekend players so they can take advantage of technology the way tour pros do—and have a lot more fun playing golf in the process."

Golf Digest and NBC Sports also partner together on the Golf Digest U.S. Open Challenge, in which a recreation golfer wins the chance to play the U.S. Open course, along with three celebrities, under U.S. Open conditions. The inaugural event held last year at Torrey Pines was among the highest rated golf programming of 2008.

Sounds interesting. I think I'll record it to see what they have to say.

I thought I saw one of these before last year. Nonetheless i'll be watching it.

Is it really going to be instructional, or a long commercial/infomercial?

Either way, I'll likely watch. :D

• Admin
From what i have heard, its going to be their Hot List televised.

Ya my Bad, some reason i thought it was today, I'll be watching it Sunday.

Okay, stupid question: Do you get NBC through cable or something?

Okay, stupid question: Do you get NBC through cable or something?

Our tv Provider let's us pick certain packages that have a set selection of channels in them, in one of the packages we choose it had NBC included in it.

Hope that answers your question.

Our tv Provider let's us pick certain packages that have a set selection of channels in them, in one of the packages we choose it had NBC included in it.

Hope that answers your question.

Yep.

I used to have CBC with my old carrier. I miss it.

I hate our Carrier, in order to get the golf channel, the package it comes in includes Telelatino, outdoor fishing network, and Extreme hunting or some stupid thing like that..

Why would I want any of those?

I thought this special was worthless.

Ya it was really bad, only funny thing is when the guy gets hit in the nuts with the ball. Like I said it's nothing new, THP has provided us with all this stuff long ago.

Well I guess I'm glad I completely blanked on this, and didn't even record it.

I found it mildy interesting at best.

The funniest thing was the guy from Titelist talking about how they "completely redesigned" the new Pro-V1... like it was for the golfers benifit.....

I found it mildy interesting at best.

The funniest thing was the guy from Titelist talking about how they "completely redesigned" the new Pro-V1... like it was for the golfers benifit.....

I laughed at that one too, I was thinking maybe the lawsuit had something more to do with the "redesigned" Pro-V.:D

It wouldn't sound as good though..... "We redesigned the #1 ball on tour because we got sued for violating a couple of other companies patents, it really is a much improved ball over the previous version. Really we promise."

It wouldn't sound as good though..... "We redesigned the #1 ball on tour because we got sued for violating a couple of other companies patents, it really is a much improved ball over the previous version. Really we promise."

I would assume that most of the people that watched that show and actually buy Pro-V1's would probably know that. But yeah, saying "we lost a lawsuit and had to change everything and may be offering an inferior product now" doesn't move units, hehehehe

I would assume that most of the people that watched that show and actually buy Pro-V1's would probably know that. But yeah, saying "we lost a lawsuit and had to change everything and may be offering an inferior product now" doesn't move units, hehehehe

Those whiners at Callaway....doggone them.

Anyone else find themselves watching the crowd to see if they could spot the elusive JB and his lovely GG walking around at the Show with their camera (recognizeable for its lack of a tripod)?

I will probably watch it, if I remember to. Besides, I like "infomercials" the first time around. My question might be is how many average players are going to understand what these manufacturing gurus are actually talking about. :confused2:

Anyone else find themselves watching the crowd to see if they could spot the elusive JB and his lovely GG walking around at the Show with their camera (recognizeable for its lack of a tripod)?

That is funny WSE.

Back