Practice vs Playing

Callaway Girl

Living the Dream
Reaction score
Handicap
I am curious to know if individuals spend more time practicing or playing golf. Personally, I spend more time practicing versus playing. I enjoy both equally. How about you?

Reminds me of JB's question about lessons...

I spend more time on the range than the course, though I've usually chalked that up to time and money concerns rather than preferences. I'd say for every three times I'm at the range, I fit in one outing of actual golfing. Especially since we can go hit a bucket in the cool evening under the lights.

Its more practice for me, but not by choice. That is because of equipment reviews. I would rather be on the course. I practice seriously once or twice a week though.

Reminds me of JB's question about lessons...

I spend more time on the range than the course, though I've usually chalked that up to time and money concerns rather than preferences. I'd say for every three times I'm at the range, I fit in one outing of actual golfing. Especially since we can go hit a bucket in the cool evening under the lights.

Julie, You are right. JB's Lesson's Topic triggered this one.

Its more practice for me, but not by choice. That is because of equipment reviews. I would rather be on the course. I practice seriously once or twice a week though.

JB. Send me all of the equipment and I will be glad to demo it for you. That way you can play more. :banana: :clapp: :blob:

We play more than we practice. We'll take six lessons over the summer and hit the driving range once a month on average. My back is dead after I play and I'd rather it be from playing than hitting the range.

My back is dead after I play and I'd rather it be from playing than hitting the range.

Are you sure that's not a bad sign, symptomatic of something? I used to have a bad sore back until I made some swing adjustments for that. Not to be nosy or a doctor or a pro, but just a thought.

Julie me too. Andy fixed me so that I do not have the back pain anymore with my swing.

JB. Send me all of the equipment and I will be glad to demo it for you. That way you can play more. :banana: :clapp: :blob:

If I was allowed to keep it, I might take you up on that offer...hehe

Are you sure that's not a bad sign, symptomatic of something? I used to have a bad sore back until I made some swing adjustments for that. Not to be nosy or a doctor or a pro, but just a thought.
It's not as bad as it used to be after going to the (gasp) chiropractor. Last year was terrible, this year (the few times I have played) it hasn't hurt so much. Hoping this is going to make me swing more correctly than in the past.

unfortunately i dont seem to EVER practice. although im seriously considering hitting the range in an hour or so (putting green mostly)... i know i should be practicing when im not playing, ESPECIALLY since ive been in such a terrible slump lately, but for some reason i just dont

I play more than practice and that is mainly due to our lack of grass driving ranges... mats suck and they ultimately just injure my already weak wrist

I'll chip and putt a fair amount but full swings happen on the course only...

I think of playing the par 3 muni as practicing--does that count? The nearest commercial driving range is a hike and not very nice. The one at the club (to which we are fairly new) can be intimidating, but I go anyway.

I'd say the Par 3 or Executive courses are a combination of playing and practicing. But yeah, they count. Most of our play last year was at a Par 60 3,400 yard course until she got the confidence to play a longer course.

It's not as bad as it used to be after going to the (gasp) chiropractor. Last year was terrible, this year (the few times I have played) it hasn't hurt so much. Hoping this is going to make me swing more correctly than in the past.

I have had a lot of back trouble over the years, in different sports. I have kept my back in good shape in recent years by doing light workouts at the gym with machines that work my "golfing" muscles. I also get about 20 adjustments a year from a chiro.

To the OP: I spend about 10-12 hours a week on the range and 10-12 hours playing.

Ironinsand

I think I practice more than I play. I get out to practice hoping to play later in the week and then something comes up or it rains or like now drops 40 degrees and starts snowing. :angry:

We play more than we practice. We'll take six lessons over the summer and hit the driving range once a month on average. My back is dead after I play and I'd rather it be from playing than hitting the range.

I thought she was going to zing ya and ask if maybe age had something to do with it.

I wonder if that's my problem too. After a little while on the range my bad will start to get sore. :sad: I think I just came up with my new excuse after I can't blame my poor play on new clubs. "I would have cut atleast 10 strokes off my score but my back is killing me." :smile-big:

I play more than i practice.

The practice chipping green is too small at my course, so i can only do half swings with a 60 degree, it i blade one - its lost. Which sucks. The range balls are used off mats too, so not that great there either.

So i prefer playing. I would rather hit 80-90 considered shots over 3 hours, than 150 in 2 hours that are restricted or not concentrated on (i cant concentrate or reinact the pressure of "real play" when practicing).

Having said that, i started a placement with uni recently so have had next to no time, so have been up the range moree just to keep some sort of swing. I also go up there to sort out problems when i realise i have them.

Definitely more practice than playing for me so far this year. I much prefer to play a round vs. going to the range, but I need the work on the range and chipping/putting greens more.

Right now it's all practise, but usually when I have a membership it is an equal balance of both. I enjoy both as well, but love the determination I have when it comes to practising.

I actually just got back from the range and am severely dissapointed in myself.

I practice much more than I play. I am at my home course practicing 2 or 3 days a week. Probably 70/30 in favor of my short game. I have a synthetic green that I can putt, and chip on in my back yard. I do play 18 holes at least once a week. Sometimes I might walk the back 9 in the early mornings twice a week to get my weekly 18 holes in. Funny thing is, I can just about tell you what my 18 hole score would have been just by how my range practice goes. When we are on the road traveling is when I play more than practice. We will be cruising along on some highway some where, and see a "GOLF" sign, and just pull in play 9 or 18. Side note: My wife does not play, but she likes to putt. We have a little competitive game we play sometimes. If it is a par 5, she has five putts from the farthest point on the green to the pin to make her par. Mean while I am playing the same par 5 from the tips. Same with par 4s, and 3s. It is always match play, and I lose most of the time. Pehaps it is time to put a chipping wedge in her bag. :bicker:

Right now it's all practise, but usually when I have a membership it is an equal balance of both. I enjoy both as well, but love the determination I have when it comes to practising.

I actually just got back from the range and am severely dissapointed in myself.

Good point about membership...where i am, a round of golf is free (with my membership level)...but range balls are £2.70 for 80. So going for a round and playing 2-3 balls is better and cheaper too!!!!

dont worry, i never play more than two balls. And NEVER slow people up behind me.

I split my time pretty evenly, usually 2x's a week at the range and play 9 once a week and 18 once a week. If I play 9 and play poorly (which is most the time) I'll usually get a bucket of balls and head to the range immediately afterwards. I don't know that it does much good but it usually makes me feel better.

I use the course and range to practice. I usually work on my short game (pitching, chipping, and putting) during my 2 hour lunch every day at a local course. After work weather permitting, I will go to the range 3 days a week and work on my full swings. If the weather is nasty, I will work on the swing indoors 3 days a week.

Two days a week, I will go to my course and practice a portion of my game (approach iron (short, medium, & long) shots, tee shots, wood shots, etc).

Example: Mid-iron approach shots - I drive to a certain yardage and hit 3-4 shots into the green. I hole these out and then move onto the next hole, skipping the tee box and go directly to my yardage. I try and complete all 18 holes.

Usually on Saturdays and Sunday afternoon, I will try and play 18-36 holes.

Back