Need a Drill for my Son

rrpruett

Reaction score
Handicap
My son is having a heck of a time getting his hips through way too fast and is just topping the ball or hitting it right, and i mean right.

He is also coming up way too fast.

Do you have a drill to help him get his hips in sync with his upper body and to stay down?

Put a 2x4 under his front foot. I'm pretty sure that's the drill that's supposed to help this problem. As for coming up, hold an aiming stick over his head. That's what helped me.

Put a 2x4 under his front foot. I'm pretty sure that's the drill that's supposed to help this problem. As for coming up, hold an aiming stick over his head. That's what helped me.

what does putting a 2x4 under the front foot do for you and how are you suppose to use it?

THis is the Ask the Pro section of THP. Please keep this thread clear until our THP Resident Pro has a chance to come in and answer questions as a certified GolfTEC coach.

THis is the Ask the Pro section of THP. Please keep this thread clear until our THP Resident Pro has a chance to come in and answer questions as a certified GolfTEC coach.

Thanks JB.

Fast hips are not a bad thing. Is he getting up on his toes prior to impact? If this is the case roll up a towel and have him stand on it and get balanced at setup. Getting up on the toes is a weight transfer and setup issue. Get him balanced over the towel at setup. Once balanced and athletic have him make some swing. You will be suprised just how big of a difference this makes in the low body movement.

Fast hips are not a bad thing. Is he getting up on his toes prior to impact? If this is the case roll up a towel and have him stand on it and get balanced at setup. Getting up on the toes is a weight transfer and setup issue. Get him balanced over the towel at setup. Once balanced and athletic have him make some swing. You will be suprised just how big of a difference this makes in the low body movement.

Yes he is getting up on his toes prior to impact. So is the towel located under his arches?

Ill give it a try next time out. Thanks.

Sorry for not being more clear. My pro did this for me. He said the 2x4 helps you to keep your hips back more through your swing so you don't swing yourself off balance (makes it a little harder to transfer weight forward I guess)? He put the 2x4 under my leading foot's arch pretty much like the towel drill that was suggested. You take that feeling and try to take it to your normal swing. Sorry JB and Mr. Pruett.

Last edited:
Under the arches. We are trying to get him to feel balanced at setup and from there stay balanced. If we can keep him off of his toes things will be much more solid out there.

I see, so your trying to help him get balanced moreso than slow his hips down?

I am not a fan of trying to slow the hips. If you get him balanced that will keep him off of his toes. Doing this will help him time up the delivery of the club head. Fast hips equals more distance. At this stage let him swing away. Keeping the feet on the ground will make a big change in his ball striking.

I am not a fan of trying to slow the hips. If you get him balanced that will keep him off of his toes. Doing this will help him time up the delivery of the club head. Fast hips equals more distance. At this stage let him swing away. Keeping the feet on the ground will make a big change in his ball striking.

Ya with his fast hips he hits his irons a ton with no problem. He was hitting his pitching wedge 160 yards or so. He can hit that further than his driver. His swing speed is about 120 with a driver. He has started to Tee off with my 2 hybird and he can hit that once in a while but the driver and 3 wood are no go's. We are going out today and he will try the towel drill.

Back