Anyone Go Through a Ping nFlight Fitting?

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone go through a Ping nFlight fitting? I still haven't ordered a new set of clubs and a nFlight center just opened in my area. I saw all the videos on the Ping website and it looks like a very detailed fitting. I've been fitted before but not to this degree. I've hit both the G20 and i20 irons and like them both, along with the G20 woods (but this was in a net). I wouldn't know which one would be best for me. I've also hit the RBZ Max irons and loved them too. It just seems the Ping nFlight would dot all the "i"'s an cross all the "t"'s.

If you've gone through it what did you think?

Thanks!

Sean

Yes I have and it was mostly awesome.
Unfortunately it wasn't at a full facility so some of the recommendations it spit out for me weren't available to try. That being said there was enough success with what it did spit out that I'm pretty close to ordering the rest based on it.

If I had to chance to go to a nFlight center where they had all the options it could spit out I would be all over it. Even if you don't even up going with Ping the amount of information you can get is really helpful.

Yes I have and it was mostly awesome.
Unfortunately it wasn't at a full facility so some of the recommendations it spit out for me weren't available to try. That being said there was enough success with what it did spit out that I'm pretty close to ordering the rest based on it.

If I had to chance to go to a nFlight center where they had all the options it could spit out I would be all over it. Even if you don't even up going with Ping the amount of information you can get is really helpful.
Thanks Super Tuna. This place is also the regional Ping fitting center of the year and it's owner is involved in the Golf Digest Hot List every year (if that means anything). One of their fitters, the guy I would be seeing, was featured in a Golf Digest article a few months.

As I said, my previous fittings consisted of length and lie angle, along with shaft flex. From the videos I saw this would would take it up a few notches.

I went to it to get fit for a driver. I won't name where, but I was not satisfied. They would hardly let me test the drivers I brought (which were PING). They seemed more interested in trying to sell me ANOTHER PING driver. Not a big deal cause I love PING, but I don't wanna buy a new one if one of the ones I already have is good. Also they would not let me hit any of the I Series or new G20 (maybe they did not have any? I dunno). Testing was with G15 and K15 only. Odd....

The feedback I got was probably worth the $100. But I still have unanswered questions. For all I know the G20 or i15 or i20 would be better. But I did not even get to hit a single one.

I went to it to get fit for a driver. I won't name where, but I was not satisfied. They would hardly let me test the drivers I brought (which were PING). They seemed more interested in trying to sell me ANOTHER PING driver. Not a big deal cause I love PING, but I don't wanna buy a new one if one of the ones I already have is good. Also they would not let me hit any of the I Series or new G20 (maybe they did not have any? I dunno). Testing was with G15 and K15 only. Odd....

The feedback I got was probably worth the $100. But I still have unanswered questions. For all I know the G20 or i15 or i20 would be better. But I did not even get to hit a single one.
That's weird Rockinar. What's the point of the fitting if you can't hit all the clubs? Thanks for the post.

I went for an nflight fitting yesterday so I thought I'd share the experience with forum members. This was done at a Golf Town fitting day. The nflight system wasn't hooked up with the store sim. Instead, he had it set up with a net and laptop. The bad part was I had to look at the laptop for the numbers after the strike, but the good part was that the radar was a Flightscope, so it was more accurate than the in store sim.

I've hit a ton of irons this winter, but after reading up on Ping's commitment to fitting golfers properly I thought a Ping fitting would be my best bet. I wanted more than a store employee measuring my wrist to floor and have me just hit a few clubs on the sim. Plus the i20's which I tried out a couple weeks ago were simply the best combination of feel and forgiveness I've found.

I told the fitter I liked the i20's but if the G20's or K15's gave me better numbers then to go ahead and fit me for those instead - I was completely open minded. First he measured my wrist to floor and hand size. He determined that I was standard length. Then we used a lie board and tried a few different lies. I was hitting the lie board on the toe so we settled on 1.5 degrees upright - which I guess is 'yellow dot'. He put me into a standard size grip - white, even though technically I could have gone with aqua which is a smaller size. He said it's better to try larger first and see how it feels. It felt fine to me and I've heard that smaller grips can make your swing more 'handsy'. Anyone have thoughts on that?

After that it was time to try some heads. I hit G20 and i20 and he said the i20's were great for me. The nflight software determines the best launch angle for the golfer's swing speed and the i20's were sending the ball right in the desired flight path. This was great news as the i20's feel fantastic.

We then tried the CWS regular and stiff shafts. My swing speed with the 7 iron was about 75-80 mph, which he said was right on the edge between regular and stiff. He was considering putting me in a stiff shaft soft stepped twice, but as I got warmed up my club speed was over 80 on some swings and he said it would be safer to stick with a stiff. I was a bit surprised to be fit into a standard stiff, but I've heard that the CWS shafts do play slightly weaker.

We then talked about the set make up. Currently I play a 3 hybrid and 4-PW iron. I told him I was thinking about switching out the 4 iron because although I don't hit it poorly, I do hit my 3 hybrid really well. So we tried a 4 hybrid in an i20 and G20. The G20 was launching WAY too high, which he thought was probably both the head and shaft. The i20 felt great and I was really consistent with it, but the flight was a touch on the low side with the stock regular flex shaft. He said he'd like me to try the Project X shaft (both 5.5 and 6.0) but didn't have any in the store, so he's going to drop them off at the store for me to come hit next week.

I then tried the i20 iron head in a graphite shaft just out of curiosity, and I didn't really see any increase in club speed but the dispersion was slightly greater. So CWS it is.

All in all it was a fantastic experience and the fitter was great. He spent about an hour and a half with me which was amazing and very generous since it was completely free. If I had one complaint (and it's not really a complaint) it's that to try out more shafts, heads and grips would probably take almost 3 hours.

Well, I guess that's it. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Mike

Nice post Perkins Rooster. I have a buddy who has an upcoming Ping fitting at Golf Town as well and it sounds like it is very worthwhile. Hopefully his experience will be similar to yours.

I really want to try this at my local golfgalaxy but I have a feeling they might have the experience to fit me properly. I have done a ping online fitting and taylormade lab fitting and have a good idea what I should swing.

Nice post Perkins Rooster. I have a buddy who has an upcoming Ping fitting at Golf Town as well and it sounds like it is very worthwhile. Hopefully his experience will be similar to yours.

I'm sure it will be, Ping seems to run a really good operation.

I really want to try this at my local golfgalaxy but I have a feeling they might have the experience to fit me properly. I have done a ping online fitting and taylormade lab fitting and have a good idea what I should swing.

That definitely helps. As for myself, this was my first 'real life' fitting so I really had no idea what my specs were or what kind of shaft I fit into.

just went through the Ping online fitting
[h=2]Set Make-up[/h]
[h=3]Driver[/h]i20® [9.5°]

[h=3]Fairways[/h]i20® [3W]

[h=3]Hybrids[/h]i20® [17°,20°]

[h=3]Irons[/h]i20® [4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW,LW]

[h=3]Wedges[/h]

[h=3]Putter[/h]SCOTTSDALE® Wolverine®

I have had a go with the irons and i did enjoy them so might have a look again

I have been through a couple of nflight fittings and quite impressed with the experience. To me, it all comes down to the qualifications of the fitter. Make sure they are PING certified is important. I think they have to be certified to use the nflight system. I went to a stand alone PING nflight center and received unbelievable attention to the details of my swing. Have also been fit by PING HQ employees who were visiting a big box store that had the nflight system and was equally impressed.

Back