PING G30 SF Tec Driver - THP Review Thread

So this probably explains why the K15 driver is finally going down in price. I never owned one of those, but demo'd it a few times and was very surprised with how straight I was hitting the ball (this was when I was still slicing the vast majority of tee shots with my old Cobra LD). I really like the looks of the new G30 line, the color combo is very striking. If it launches even better than the K15, Ping will have a real winner on their hands for carpenters who need a little extra help from their tools on the teebox.

The K15 definitely has a bit of a cult following out there, I've been wondering when we would see the "next version" (and I used that loosely), but its a pretty savvy move for PING to incorporate it under the G-series name.

Okay just hit a 12* one. Numbers weren't too bad but wow does it sound loud.

Okay just hit a 12* one. Numbers weren't too bad but wow does it sound loud.

I'm curious to get it outside tomorrow, the G-series has always been a bit...boisterous in sound compared to the i-series so it could be interesting for sure.

I'm curious to get it outside tomorrow, the G-series has always been a bit...boisterous in sound compared to the i-series so it could be interesting for sure.

Yeah it was night and day to the i25 in terms of sound. It did feel great though and I have not been a fan of past G-series drivers.

I'm interested in your thoughts Jman. After talking to the guys at my local shop, the G30 is getting a lot of attention and the turbulators seem to work as advertised.

Pretty interesting reading tech. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one.

I hit this last weekend and watched some friends hit it as well. It definitely helps reduce a slice, turns it into more of a fade, but not a magic wand to cure a slice (don't think anything really is). Agree that it definitely sets up pretty neutral which is a nice bonus. But man, this and the regular G30 driver are really loud. Guess I wouldn't care if I was absolutely bombing it, but it makes quite a noise. Although everything is loud to me compared to Bertha.

I hit this last weekend and watched some friends hit it as well. It definitely helps reduce a slice, turns it into more of a fade, but not a magic wand to cure a slice (don't think anything really is). Agree that it definitely sets up pretty neutral which is a nice bonus. But man, this and the regular G30 driver are really loud. Guess I wouldn't care if I was absolutely bombing it, but it makes quite a noise. Although everything is loud to me compared to Bertha.

Yeah, no club will fix a swing error sadly, I've tried, haha

Getting out with this one after work today, straight to the course as I always do my first time out with a review club.

Agree with you JB. I tried both versions of the G30 recently at a driver fitting and just couldn't get along with either of them. I used to game a G5 for a long while because it was pretty forgiving but Ping has never been what I'd call a "long" driver OEM (at least in my opinion).

You should see JRod and his G20 :bulgy-eyes:

Granted, he's long with any driver.

One of the guys who I watched hit this plays a K15. He found the G30 to be a bit longer, but lower launching, and not as forgiving for curing his slice/fade. This definitely sets up way more neutral than the K15 though at address which he liked. After hitting this, I would say this would be a great fit for someone that plays like a 10-15 yard cut. Would turn it into a pretty straight ball or very baby fade. Will be interesting to see what JMAN thinks of it.

One of the guys who I watched hit this plays a K15. He found the G30 to be a bit longer, but lower launching, and not as forgiving for curing his slice/fade. This definitely sets up way more neutral than the K15 though at address which he liked. After hitting this, I would say this would be a great fit for someone that plays like a 10-15 yard cut. Would turn it into a pretty straight ball or very baby fade. Will be interesting to see what JMAN thinks of it.

The cut and I are good friends. Hahahaha

James, is there any chance you're going to get to swing both the SF Tec and the standard driver? It'd be really interesting to see what kind of difference the draw bias setup makes.

Like the concept of this driver. Very outside of the box from a looks perspective.

I really like this. Over the last few years my misses were typically 5-10 yard fades. Calling them misses probably isnt accurate, just my natural shot shape, but when i really started missing it and wanted to straighten things out i'd throw the K15 i had in my bag and just hit bullets. Never hit a club that based solely on it's design would bring the ball back to the fairway from the right. I'm really interested to see what you think about this JMan. I think it has potential be be a really great club. The SF Tek really worked in the K15 and it wasn't bad to look down at.

This thing looks like a straight flight beast to me.

James, is there any chance you're going to get to swing both the SF Tec and the standard driver? It'd be really interesting to see what kind of difference the draw bias setup makes.

Dan and I will both be in Florida next month and I venture that we can make that happen.

Like the fairways, I got this one out and about.

The counterweighted shaft really seemed to LAUNCH for me, curious to see if that carries over or if my swing was just a little off and accentuating it. At 10 I saw a true high ball flight, and as a player who either hits a true fade or a big other thing (hahaha) it definitely cut down the movement on my fade, I think there is definitely something to the weight location and what it does to the gear ratio, but more time will tell.

You can tell where you catch it on the face audibly and in the hands, center contact really gives you that feeling that the ball isn't on the face long (not "heavy" at impact like some clubs can be to me). The sound is G-series, its got some hollow to it, definitely a bit more boisterous compared to the i25, but its nothing I would class as "OH MY GOSH" loud, at all, easily playable there.

Distance was solid, right on with what I expected, no more or no less today. Not sure the turbulators gave me a "boost" today or anything, but they frame the ball well and honestly like I said with the fairways I can't say I don't notice them, but they sure don't phase me at address.

Will be getting more in this week and promise some more detailed info (likely some ball speed comparisons if I get the chance).

As always, please feel free to shoot any questions and I'll get you some answers. I know this one isn't as "sexy" as the standard G30, but I think this is a hell of a move in the right direction aesthetically for a need that a lot of golfers have, whether they admit it or not.

I'll add this as Dan and I were discussing it, honestly, I think the 45.75" stock length of this with the TFC 419 is just a bit counterproductive in a head intended to help those that battle the rights, its the only thing so far that is truly perplexing to me.

This is one I wouldn't mind giving a swing or two. Seems weird for a hook misser to like heel weighted clubs, but I can't deny success with the X-Hot, so I usually hit before I decide on that end. Do loft adjustments make much of a difference visually James?

This is one I wouldn't mind giving a swing or two. Seems weird for a hook misser to like heel weighted clubs, but I can't deny success with the X-Hot, so I usually hit before I decide on that end. Do loft adjustments make much of a difference visually James?

Not really dude, Its something I tinkered with when I had the head off for pictures, at setup you get the same look/stance through the settings, to my eye at least. But 0.6* and 1.0* either way isn't a ton there compared to some of the adjustments we see today. But, before someone jumps on that, I like these options, to me, they are enough and simple, even if 0.6* is a weird number. "Paying my driver at 9.4* today" hahahaha

I'll pass. I prefer 9.2 :D

Right on sir. I agree that's a pretty small amount and probably tough to see.

Should be a fun experiment -- I'm subbing in for men's league with a lot of very opinionated middle aged dudes primed to share their opinion.

I think they look unique -- A bit loud for a driver, but certainly unique. Surprising for a Ping, if I am being totally honest.

I'm curious to see the regular in action Saturday. I may even take a few swings with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll pass. I prefer 9.2 :D

Right on sir. I agree that's a pretty small amount and probably tough to see.

I think you'd get a kick out of the head, the counterweighted shaft is different, and LONG.

I have a friend that just put this in the bag. I hope to play with him this weekend and get some swings in against my XHot.

I guess I'm in that cult following, but I felt like the K15 was Ping's last good driver. It was just automatic for me, though admittedly mine was playing at 44.75, which probably greatly helped.

The ones since haven't really interested me. The SF Tech is the first Ping to come along since then that I definitely think would work with my swing (typically the high fade). I'll be watching and reading.

I'll admit that I've never liked the sound of any of the G/K drivers. Maybe some cotton balls inside the head would help?

I think you'd get a kick out of the head, the counterweighted shaft is different, and LONG.

I've been a fan of the HBP shafts for awhile. Seems to work very well for me.

Back