Adams Speedline Super S Driver - THP Preview

I think it looks pretty nice. The loft through the hossel is a pretty cool little nuance.

Sort of transitioning to this driver as the next step in the dual Adams review. Took some time to get aquainted with it after a couple weeks with the LS as my primary long stick. First two things I notice is 1) a shallower head and 2) it's longer. Not incredibly shallow or anything, but it does necessitate a slight adjustment in tee height. The length does bother me visually and I am choking down on the driver about an inch.

Monitor numbers show me that my swing speed appears to be a little faster with this one and I'm not having trouble hitting the center of the face. Spin and launch also are a little higher, though launch is not as affected as spin is. The higher spin actually appears to be a good thing for carry (for me).

Need to get it in a more open area to guage sound. Part of me is a little hesitant to do that because I am expecting not to like it based on the Fast 12. Have to wait and see though.

Interesting Hawkster. I'm looking forward to some more thoughts going forward, especially since in the Hybo's I know the S is the easier one for me to hit, curious if that carries over in the line at all.

Interesting Hawkster. I'm looking forward to some more thoughts going forward, especially since in the Hybo's I know the S is the easier one for me to hit, curious if that carries over in the line at all.

I'm not sure if it is or not. I don't know how the forgiveness could be much different because that weird wing shape sort of takes some surface area away from this one. Or maybe it just appears that way. I haven't noticed any marked difference between the two in that regard so far at least.

The one thing that really does stick out is the length though. I've playd a sub 45 inch driver long enough that it really does give me fits visually. Same thing with the Fit Xtreme at first.

You can tell TM bought Adams after that release, hate the headcover but the rest looks nice apart from the indication of the loft.

Not sure I can tell a big difference between the S and LS when it comes to sound. Here's the S. A little tin canny and maybe a hair lower pitched than the LS.

I mentioned this in another thread, but hitting something outdoors and leaving behind the whole data/analytical side of things can really change the way you feel about a golf club.

Admittedly, I wasn't a huge fan of this driver. I won't say I didn't like it, but I think some preconceived bias crept into my head and it was probably my least favorite out of the four 2013 sticks I've hit recently. That's an easy thing to do. Not always hard to admit though :D

With that said, I thought it was pretty nice after some time outdoors with it. The head shape is a little shallower than the LS, but it's not a drastic amount. I still don't like the wing on the underside that much, but it really does set up nicely at address. Seems a little light in hand maybe. Nothing extreme though.

Forgiveness was quite good and it was the driver that gave me the highest ball flight out of the three I was testing on Saturday. One of my better shots was a miss a little toward the toe side and I got a mid-high ball with a tailing draw back to the right side of the fairway. Disntance on this shot was still quite good in terms of what I'd expect.

With that said, I think the sound is pretty bad. Getting outdoors really allowed the echo to take effect. This is a driver that would likely turn some heads at the driving range for sure. I will admit that the Classic has sort of scrambled my brain when it comes to driver sound. Almost everything seems loud. Still, I think most would agree with me if they heard it in person.

My guess is that this one might appeal a little more to those looking to pick up a little swing speed. Maybe those a little on the less aggressive side.

Final review will commence shortly. Going to take some final numbers in comparison to the LS and that's about it.

Probably the driver I had least control of today. Goes to show that you can't just judge something by one outing. This was the only driver that wanted to go right today, which makes absolutely no sense to me on a scientific level. Loft has been raised to 11.5, so ball height is pretty good, but for whatever reason I hit it right almost every time. Whatever the reason, I didn't have the same positive feeling after I left the course that I did last week.

I've been looking for something a bit deeper, and got a very good offer on one of these. Will this be a step up from the 910D2 I'm currently bagging?

Also, I have an old Adams Redline driver ... will that wrench work with the newer Speedline line?

I've been looking for something a bit deeper, and got a very good offer on one of these. Will this be a step up from the 910D2 I'm currently bagging?

Also, I have an old Adams Redline driver ... will that wrench work with the newer Speedline line?

I am an Adams guy in many cases... but I would stick with the 910D2.

Adapter is the triangle design if that helps - can't say definitively whether they are compatible, but if it's a triangle there is a good chance.

Would I make that switch? No way. But, if you can hit it give it a chance.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just stick the 910D2 in the corner during the week, and when I take it out to play maybe it'll have learned its lesson and perform for me on the weekends.

Or take another lesson. Hopefully one of those two would prove fruitful.

And yes, the wrench is a triangle, so it'd probably work, though I'll probably save the ducats and won't have a definitive answer.

Back