Any Tennis nuts out there?

WWPSD

Reaction score
I am getting heavily back into tennis after about 6 years of very little play. I am in a mixed doubles league and playing singles as well to help get into better shape. My question is if anyone out there is a racquet-head. I am looking heavily on tenniswarehouse.com and looking at Volkl, Fischer, Dunlop,and Babolat a lot right now.

What kind of racquet are you playing? Headsize, sting pattern?

I dont play anymore. I played heavily in juniors and highschool and even went the last two years of highschool to a tennis academy. My body just did not hold up. I came from a tennis family. Step Mother played professionally for years and my father was and still is a great player.

I wish I could still play, but my knees just cannot take it. Good for you getting out there though.

I have played heavily for my entire life so far (I'm only 19).
I use a Fischer Pro No. 1 X-Lite, 98 sq in., 16/20.
I think they have them at tenniswarehouse for like 100 bucks.

I guess I should actually answer the question. I have always played Yonex equipment. Mid size.

Yeah...I found a Fischer 98sq Magnetic Tour racquet on there, but a local shop has one as an old demo that he will sell me for $64 strung. I am thinking of getting that as a backup and the Volkl DNX 10 or V-Engine 8 for my starter. I like the midsize heads at 95-100sq with more strings for extra control.

That's a great deal. The Volkl is an excellent racket too, you won't be disappointed.

WWPSD- you need to first decide what kind of swing you have and what type of racquet would be best for you.

If you have a slower/shorter swing you will want a racquet that gives you more power. These racquets typically have larger, thicker heads. (oversized) Andre Agassi used this type of racquet.

If you have a longer, faster swing you will want something that will give you more control. These racquets will have a thinner frame that is smaller. Pete Sampras used this kind.

Most brands have a range for all types of players/swings. If you look online or in a shop most racquets will tell you what kind of racquet it is or for what type of swing/player. If you aren't sure which is best for you, demo two of the different types and you will be able to tell. If you need the control racquet and hit with the power racquet you will be hitting the ball out with every shot or need to change your swing. Vice versa for the opposite situation.

As for the string pattern, a more open pattern will help you get spin on the ball. If you have a swing that puts a lot of topspin and don't need the strings to help you, you can do a denser pattern that will hold up longer.

Hope that helps!:blob:

WWPSD- you need to first decide what kind of swing you have and what type of racquet would be best for you.

If you have a slower/shorter swing you will want a racquet that gives you more power. These racquets typically have larger, thicker heads. (oversized) Andre Agassi used this type of racquet.

If you have a longer, faster swing you will want something that will give you more control. These racquets will have a thinner frame that is smaller. Pete Sampras used this kind.

Most brands have a range for all types of players/swings. If you look online or in a shop most racquets will tell you what kind of racquet it is or for what type of swing/player. If you aren't sure which is best for you, demo two of the different types and you will be able to tell. If you need the control racquet and hit with the power racquet you will be hitting the ball out with every shot or need to change your swing. Vice versa for the opposite situation.

As for the string pattern, a more open pattern will help you get spin on the ball. If you have a swing that puts a lot of topspin and don't need the strings to help you, you can do a denser pattern that will hold up longer.

Hope that helps!:blob:

Do you ski or snowboard too?

Cause Harry Hearts You Now

HEHE

I played organized tennis from middle school through high school and still played pretty heavily with my college roommate who had a similar background. My college roommate had been living in the same city as me for the past few years but moved away, and I haven't played as much since then.

To answer the question, I don't switch racquets often, so the past two that I've played (you often have multiples of the same racquet in case you break a string) were the Wilson Hammer 5.0 Stretch with a 110 sq. in. head and the Wilson nTour Two with a 105 sq. in. head. The Hammer line is 15 years or so old and long gone.

Last, I want to also want to add the following bit of information regarding racquets. The racquet model and string pattern is only part of the equation. The size, tension, and material of the strings used to string the racquet also have an effect on how it'll play. So, if you end up with a racquet you aren't sure you like, you can always try different strings and tensions.

Back