Whistling Straits vs. Bethpage

TheBotto

Reaction score
Handicap
My old man will be coming back over this side of the Atlantic come June and we are talking about going for a weekend roadtrip to add another epic course onto our resumes. So far I'm looking at Whistling Straits and Bethpage. Has anyone played both or have any other recommendations? I want to keep it within a 10 hour drive from Toronto.

If we go to Bethpage I highly doubt we will be playing the Black course, I'm currently playing at a 13 hc he is a 10 hc and two buddies coming with us are around a 16 and 18.

We aren't really worried about a course being "too difficult" we just want to play somewhere great and have a really great weekend as he is currently living in Africa for work and we won't be playing together much this year.

So far we have played Doral and a bunch of other really nice courses in Florida, along with Dubai Creek, The Emirates Golf Club, and some others in the Dubai and Abu Dhabi area this January.

The straits will be easier to get on to.

I have never played either. However, I have a few friends who have played Bethpage Black and really liked it (actually a good friend of mine is playing there today as I type this - 9:06am tee tine). Also, I have a buddy who has played Whistling Straits and he also raved about it.

To be honest, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I can't give you a "pick this one" answer and I don't know anyone who has played both, just people who have played one of the other, but all were satisfied with their experience after the round.

Bethpage is going to be cheaper but I believe you still have to get in line for a spot if you are not a resident. Kholer has 4 courses out where Whislting Straits is, there is Whistling Straits and the Irish Course which are located together and then there is Blackwolf Run and the Meadows Course, honestly if you are going to travel all that way and have the budget I would play the two famous ones while you are there. Straits is going to cost around $450 with caddie, unless you play at the twilight rate which is $250 and no caddie is required although you might not finish your round. Blackwolf Run is $250.

I would even look into Erin Hills. Future US Open site, and I think it is back open.

Bethpage is going to be cheaper but I believe you still have to get in line for a spot if you are not a resident. Kholer has 4 courses out where Whislting Straits is, there is Whistling Straits and the Irish Course which are located together and then there is Blackwolf Run and the Meadows Course, honestly if you are going to travel all that way and have the budget I would play the two famous ones while you are there. Straits is going to cost around $450 with caddie, unless you play at the twilight rate which is $250 and no caddie is required although you might not finish your round. Blackwolf Run is $250.

Also important to note, you have to walk the Straits. No carts of any kind allowed.

I would even look into Erin Hills. Future US Open site, and I think it is back open.

I was invited to play this with a guy that I played with at Blackwolf Run but unfortunately could not make it.

Also important to note, you have to walk the Straits. No carts of any kind allowed.

True, it is an enjoyable walk though.

Bethpage Black is also a walk only course. The next best course at Bethpage is the Red so you know.

I've played both and they are two different experiences. WS is a far better course for the average golfer. It's pricey but well worth the trip. I was lucky enough to play BP twice without waiting and enjoyed it. But the things others go through to play, I wouldn't waste that time.
Might want to give some thought to Bandon if you haven't been.

I've played both and they are two different experiences. WS is a far better course for the average golfer. It's pricey but well worth the trip. I was lucky enough to play BP twice without waiting and enjoyed it. But the things others go through to play, I wouldn't waste that time.

Bandon would have been my suggestion as well for a golf getaway but it is more than a 10hr drive for him.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't go to Bethpage if you aren't gonna play the Black course. It may be extremely difficult, but that's the signature of the place and that's where the history is.

THPing on Tapatalk

Did you play Blackwolf Run when you were out there?

My old man will be coming back over this side of the Atlantic come June and we are talking about going for a weekend roadtrip to add another epic course onto our resumes. So far I'm looking at Whistling Straits and Bethpage. Has anyone played both or have any other recommendations? I want to keep it within a 10 hour drive from Toronto.

If we go to Bethpage I highly doubt we will be playing the Black course, I'm currently playing at a 13 hc he is a 10 hc and two buddies coming with us are around a 16 and 18.

We aren't really worried about a course being "too difficult" we just want to play somewhere great and have a really great weekend as he is currently living in Africa for work and we won't be playing together much this year.

So far we have played Doral and a bunch of other really nice courses in Florida, along with Dubai Creek, The Emirates Golf Club, and some others in the Dubai and Abu Dhabi area this January.
I have played Whistling Straits but not Bethpage, one thing to consider is you must walk Whistling Straits. Having said that my favorite course at the Kohler resort was The Irish course, which also must be walked. The other two courses are good but not different from courses you already play, probably. I would think there would be more to do besides golf around Bethpage but it all depends on what you are wanting out of the trip.

I have played Whistling Straits but not Bethpage, one thing to consider is you must walk Whistling Straits. Having said that my favorite course at the Kohler resort was The Irish course, which also must be walked. The other two courses are good but not different from courses you already play, probably. I would think there would be more to do besides golf around Bethpage but it all depends on what you are wanting out of the trip.

The courses at Kohler are connected to a very nice resort and spa. Might be a good chance to have the significant others involved

Spending 3-4 days at the Kohler resort is on my "to-do" list. It would not suck to be there when it's 98-degrees down here in Tennessee.

Thanks guys! I would love to go out to Bandon but I would need atleast a long weekend for that trip. It sounds like WS it is. I wish I would have more time so I could play all of the courses there, but it will be a pretty quick trip. The plan is to leave Saturday at noon drive straight there and play an early morning round Sunday morning and then drive straight back.

The courses at Kohler are connected to a very nice resort and spa. Might be a good chance to have the significant others involved

This will be a guy's road trip. The "significant other" has less than no interest in golf.

That's awesome stuff. Whistling Straits is most certainly near the very top of my golf bucket list. I've always been amazed by those courses. Should be a great time.

Back