Odyssey Putters Thread

Wow! Love seeing the Works Tank Cruiser!

My Tank Cruiser is such a great putter and I would love to add a Works version. Of the four options the V Line sure looks nice! Can't wait to try that out at the end of the month.

Do you know which model is coming? Can't wait to see how you like the works insert with tank cruiser weighting.

No clue at all, which is kind of exciting haha

Just picked up a Metal X Milled #7 and after a few rolls at home am very excited to get out on the course to give it a try.

One question for the group, any suggestions on how to figure out what weighting works best for me among the 10/15/20s that it comes with? Of course it is about feel and comfort but at some point I need to cut to the chase and be able to figure out whether this is the right putter for me without driving myself crazy switching out the weights. Has anyone gone through it in a "process" they would suggest?

Other variable is that I don't really like the stock thinner Odyssey grip that it came with and so I will need to find the right size superstroke for it.

Just picked up a Metal X Milled #7 and after a few rolls at home am very excited to get out on the course to give it a try.

One question for the group, any suggestions on how to figure out what weighting works best for me among the 10/15/20s that it comes with? Of course it is about feel and comfort but at some point I need to cut to the chase and be able to figure out whether this is the right putter for me without driving myself crazy switching out the weights. Has anyone gone through it in a "process" they would suggest?

Other variable is that I don't really like the stock thinner Odyssey grip that it came with and so I will need to find the right size superstroke for it.

Only realy sure fire way is trial and error, try 10 putts or so for each weight and see how it feels, its what I have always done with any of their weighted models (Tank Cruiser, MXM, Milled Collection).

I agree on the stock grips, just not my cup of tea, its why I've been so happy to see them putting SS as an option on the new models.

Only realy sure fire way is trial and error, try 10 putts or so for each weight and see how it feels, its what I have always done with any of their weighted models (Tank Cruiser, MXM, Milled Collection).

I agree on the stock grips, just not my cup of tea, its why I've been so happy to see them putting SS as an option on the new models.

Is the difference pretty obvious in your opinion? I've never tried different weighting in putters and so don't know whether this is a small tweak that will be tough to dial in or a more obvious tweak.

I suspect also that before I spend much time on testing the putter, I should replace the grip.

Is the difference pretty obvious in your opinion? I've never tried different weighting in putters and so don't know whether this is a small tweak that will be tough to dial in or a more obvious tweak.

I suspect also that before I spend much time on testing the putter, I should replace the grip.

IMO, most won't notice the weight change all that much, some do though (I'm in that camp as I like a heavier putter). I say just tinker with it as time goes on, when you find something comfy, set it and forget it.

To me it is fairly obvious. You can feel the weight when you switch out the weights.

To me it is fairly obvious. You can feel the weight when you switch out the weights.

I bet if we did a totally blind test of someone just handing someone the putter without knowing the setups or order, easily over half wouldn't be able to tell.

Some definitely do (raises hand), but in my experience most THINK it more than they FEEL it.

I bet if we did a totally blind test of someone just handing someone the putter without knowing the setups or order, easily over half wouldn't be able to tell.

Some definitely do (raises hand), but in my experience most THINK it more than they FEEL it.

I think if you handed me a putter and told me to guess the weights I might be off. But if you then switched to lighter or heavier weights in that same putter I'd be fairly confident I could tell quickly. At least I could in my protype iX.

I think if you handed me a putter and told me to guess the weights I might be off. But if you then switched to lighter or heavier weights in that same putter I'd be fairly confident I could tell quickly. At least I could in my protype iX.

I think this is something I'll test out at my club when I get the new cruiser in for review.

Like I said, some will, but more won't than we generalize/think. 10/20g isn't as noticeable as we make it out to be sometimes, at 20g we are talking about around 3.5ish quarters.

Thanks for the comments. Now my curiosity is peaked. I will report back once I play around for a while. Might have to do it in two ways - first, I will play with it and then second, I will have my son change the weights so it is blind to see if I come to different conclusions.

I will also be testing out the Metal X Milled 9ht at the same time and will go through the same process with the weights on that one.

I think this is something I'll test out at my club when I get the new cruiser in for review.

Like I said, some will, but more won't than we generalize/think. 10/20g isn't as noticeable as we make it out to be sometimes, at 20g we are talking about around 3.5ish quarters.

I agree with you. I don't think most people would be able to tell that much. Like I said I probably wouldn't be able to pick up a putter and go "this head is 350g". but if you gave me time to get the feel of it down, and then add or take away 10g of weight, I think I would be able to feel it pretty easily. Much easier to tell weight difference in a putter head than say an iron shaft.

I agree that in reality it isn't that much weight - will be fun to see.

Isn't there also a difference in the perception of the weight depending on the length of the putter? Is that why different length Scotty's come with different weights standard?

10-20g isn't much, but when you put it on the end of a 35" shaft, it feels heavier. How much weight does it take to change a swing weight in an iron?

I'm with the others, if you give me a putter I'll have no idea how heavy it is, but in my experience with my TC I can feel a difference when changing weights.

10-20g isn't much, but when you put it on the end of a 35" shaft, it feels heavier. How much weight does it take to change a swing weight in an iron?

I'm with the others, if you give me a putter I'll have no idea how heavy it is, but in my experience with my TC I can feel a difference when changing weights.

SW is another thing that the VAST majority don't truly notice the difference in, we are talking about the weight of dimes there. Some do, yes (again, I'm one who does) but the vast majority would not be able to differentiate.

I wonder if how good someone is at distance control with putting has a correlation with being able to tell change in weighting better.

But to keep this about odyssey, I really want to get my hands on a white demascus #5

I wonder if how good someone is at distance control with putting has a correlation with being able to tell change in weighting better.

But to keep this about odyssey, I really want to get my hands on a white demascus #5

To give you my perspective, the stock BigT #5 was too light for me. I was all over the place with my distance control.

Some tungsten & lead tape later, I was spot on. I never look at swing weight, but I know I like my putter playing between 370-380 weight wise.

Not sure if this right place for this- but I'm new here.:party:

I have an extra red Odyssey chip up for a good home. Figure someone might need one for a collection or new ball marker, etc.
First person to reply gets it- I'll drop it in the mail today.

odyssey-golf-poker-chip-ball-marker-set-of-3_1275435.JPG

Not sure if this right place for this- but I'm new here.:party:

I have an extra red Odyssey chip up for a good home. Figure someone might need one for a collection or new ball marker, etc.
First person to reply gets it- I'll drop it in the mail today.

odyssey-golf-poker-chip-ball-marker-set-of-3_1275435.JPG

I would love to add to my collection if still available. :bashful:

Personal opinion, if you go from no weights (which I messed around with on an MXM) to the heaviest weights, you'll notice. You won't notice if you go from the 10's to the 15's to the 20's. Ten grams at a time just isn't going to affect you in a way you can really feel while you hold the club, IMO.

The best way is to measure out 20' of green, as level as you can find, and take about 5 putts with the putter at a given weight. Then change the weights, then go do something else for awhile. Then take about 5 putts with it at the second weight. Repeat again. Whichever weight gets you the most consistent distance on long putts, that what you should go with. Worked out the best for me when I had my MXM...and I went with the 20g weights on a #6 model.

Back