putter regripping

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've regripped my irons, which was a piece of cake.

I was wanting to try a new grip on my putter, but was a little more concerned about making sure the grip is lined up properly with a putter grip.

Any tips? Was thinking of trying a pistol style grip, like a GP Tour Tradition (or similar).

If you have done irons putter is just as easy IMO.

I got a Winn mid size pistol off the Bay and it was so easy to get on and aligned properly.

Good luck

Putter grips aren't too tough. You've still got to eyeball it but you can use some visual cues to help. I use the seams on my hardwood floor. Line the putter face up with one (usually the short side) and line up the top of the grip with one of the cross-seams. I've also eyeballed it using the alignment line on the putter before. Good luck!

Cool, yeah, I was mainly just worried about getting the top of the grip aligned right so when I grip it, the face is square.

I used to be intimidated to try to install my own putter grips because of the fears you stated. I watched guys that I paid to put them on line them up in about 30 seconds. After overcoming my fear, started doing my own about 3 years about. I probably spent about 5 minutes looking at it from every conceivable angle to make sure it is on straight.

I just regripped my putter last night with a SS 2.0 & it was easy. Like others have said pick out a place to help align it & go. A couple of twists & you have it square without any issues.

just as easy as an iron but the sightly thicker material some times makes them a touch less strechy

I hated putting the larger SS grips on but after a few it's really easy. Just be generous with the solvent and slide it on straight. No biggie

Thanks guys. Community at its finest. Just did this with 2 wraps underneath. Wanna see how it feels, cheapest way to tinker with the putter.
y9a8uqy6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Most important thing is getting it lined up right. Looks good brother, glad it worked out.

Most important thing is getting it lined up right. Looks good brother, glad it worked out.

Wasn't bad at all. Just made sure to put plenty of solvent on so I could twist it and make adjustments if I needed to. Toughest part was getting that Winn 1.32 off.

Any suggestions for a clean pull of a SS Fatso? I want to put a regular grip on but I don't want to ruin the SS.

Using Tapatalk

Wasn't bad at all. Just made sure to put plenty of solvent on so I could twist it and make adjustments if I needed to. Toughest part was getting that Winn 1.32 off.

I use an air compressor to remove grips. It works great on everything except for SS grips.

Any suggestions for a clean pull of a SS Fatso? I want to put a regular grip on but I don't want to ruin the SS.

Using Tapatalk
I think air is probably the only way. I tried without and the thing wasn't going anywhere haha I just cut it off.

Looks good man and glad it wasn't too much trouble.

I always just cut them off with a knife never tried to save an old grip.

Using Tapatalk

Air compressor maybe. I had to cut mine off because I don't have one. Oh well. I wasn't super fond of the feel anyways.

Using Tapatalk

You have to use a small diameter stiff rod to push up from the bottom of the grip. It is a pain in the butt but it can be done.

Using Tapatalk

I just twisted back and forth until I had it off. Takes a while and have to be patient, but you can get it off. I started at the bottom of the grip and worked my way up as it loosened.

I did take a putter to Golfsmith with a SS grip on it and they were able to do the twist/air compressor method and that worked.

Thanks, I'll try the twisting and rod and then go with the air compressor as a last resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll try the twisting and rod and then go with the air compressor as a last resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you do air, remember to go in bursts instead of full throttle. A regular grip popping is pretty nerve wracking, a SS is a step or two above that.

Back