7 Iron Numbers Help

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
I went to pick up some balls this morning and this place had all 3 sets of irons I have had my eye on and I need you help. I hit the 7 iron out of all 3 sets and need your opinion if these are good, bad or serviceable. Is there anything else I should be looking at and what are "good numbers" for a 7 iron.

Thanks.

In the subjective category.
Looks - All 3 are stunning.
Sole - Adams wins I like the narrow sole the most and the Mizuno in a very close second
Feel - Wilson won this hands down and Mizuno in second
Forgiveness - Mizuno seemed slightly ahead of the Wilson's
At Address - They all looked good and I felt confident with each of them
Shaft - While none felt exceptionally smooth the TT felt the best with the KBS Tour's right behind them.

Adams CMB with KBS C-Tapers stiff
Launch 33.3
Backspin 5300
Lateral 4.6
Carry 154

Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 with KBS Tour stiff
Launch 28.7
Backspin 4700
Lateral 3.3
Carry 149

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro with True Temper Dynalite Golf XP S300
Launch 29.8
Backspin 4900
Lateral 2.2
Carry 168

The launch numbers are all very high for a 7 iron, and that's most likely a function of your swing, a club isn't going to reduce it by a significant amount (aka multiple degrees). The spin numbers are also low, typically you want 1000 times the number on the iron, so for a 7 iron you want 7000 rpm or so. With that said, you'd be silly not to jump on the Mizunos, there is no way I would leave 15-20 yards more carry on the table, which is what you gain with the Mizunos as compared to the other clubs.

I'm no expert in the numbers but the one that really stand out to me is the carry distance. You're talking about a full club difference in distance with the mizzies.

+1, your spin is too low. Those shafts might be too stiff for you or you are adding loft at impact which, under certain circumstances, actually takes spin off the ball.

I have never been a high spin player but a high ball hitter and I know it's my swing. I stop the ball by getting it to drop from the sky after the angels have kissed it for good luck.

The clubs all had a couple of strips of masking tape on them so I don't know if or how much that would effect the spin rate.

I have never been a high spin player but a high ball hitter and I know it's my swing. I stop the ball by getting it to drop from the sky after the angels have kissed it for good luck.

The clubs all had a couple of strips of masking tape on them so I don't know if or how much that would effect the spin rate.
On the Foresight I used to play with adding impact tape decreased the spin quite a bit.

Your LA is too high, as noted. However, your spin is fine if you're going to be launching that high. You dont want high launch and high spin otherwise you're dead meat in a head wind. Are those launch angles accurate tho? It's pretty excessive.

On the Foresight I used to play with adding impact tape decreased the spin quite a bit.

Your LA is too high, as noted. However, your spin is fine if you're going to be launching that high. You dont want high launch and high spin otherwise you're dead meat in a head wind. Are those launch angles accurate tho? It's pretty excessive.

I would hope the store had an accurate machine. I was hitting the top quarter of the screen.

I would hope the store had an accurate machine. I was hitting the top quarter of the screen.

If you were hitting the top quarter of the screen then that launch angle sounds about right.

I recommend the Mizunos :alien:

I agree with going with the longest carry, no way I could pass that much distance difference up (assuming that the lofts are somewhat comparable).

I would recommend that you go somewhere that lets you hit these without tape on the face. It will definitely throw off the spin numbers but I believe it will also affect the launch angle and it turn affect the carry.

mizuno jpx 825 pro all day, wayyy longer, more forgiving, stunning to look at and straightest for you

The launch and spin on the V2 should produce similar numbers to the JPX. Did you feel you were mishitting the ball with that club?

JPX is the clear winner. I would see if they allow to hit without tape, but I wouldn't worry too much about the low spin as some have suggested.

I would recommend that you go somewhere that lets you hit these without tape on the face. It will definitely throw off the spin numbers but I believe it will also affect the launch angle and it turn affect the carry.

I don't know where that would be. Nobody up here lets you do that unless you go to a small specialty place for a full fitting.

The launch and spin on the V2 should produce similar numbers to the JPX. Did you feel you were mishitting the ball with that club?

JPX is the clear winner. I would see if they allow to hit without tape, but I wouldn't worry too much about the low spin as some have suggested.

The Wilsons are 2 or 3 degrees weaker. The end of the season is coming in about a month and a half so I may wait until spring and get a better deal but I think the Mizzy's will be in the bag next year. Maybe set some cash aside and get a different shaft, one that is smoother.

Is there any other numbers I should be looking at or do I pretty much have the important stuff covered?

I don't know where that would be. Nobody up here lets you do that unless you go to a small specialty place for a full fitting.

The Wilsons are 2 or 3 degrees weaker. The end of the season is coming in about a month and a half so I may wait until spring and get a better deal but I think the Mizzy's will be in the bag next year. Maybe set some cash aside and get a different shaft, one that is smoother.

Is there any other numbers I should be looking at or do I pretty much have the important stuff covered?

Offline/sidepsin is important to cover dispersion.

Ball speed and club head speed are also important. Obviously correlates with distance but you can also see which produces better speeds and smash factor. The latter tells you how flush you are striking the ball.

Are you only limited to stock shafts? Mizuno has the shaft optimizer you can use and see if a different shaft improves on the JPX head.

Offline/sidepsin is important to cover dispersion.

Ball speed and club head speed are also important. Obviously correlates with distance but you can also see which produces better speeds and smash factor. The latter tells you how flush you are striking the ball.

Are you only limited to stock shafts? Mizuno has the shaft optimizer you can use and see if a different shaft improves on the JPX head.

Yeah I'm going to try the optimizer but I will probably piece them together and buy some shafts online. I did try a Muria blade that had the Aerotech's in them and my god that is a nice shaft. I'm also going to follow Zenger with his Nippon 1050's.

I'm actually a bit surprised at how short some of your distances are for the Wilsons and Adams

I mean you're usually at least 2 clubs longer than I am but those are more in the range of my 7 iron

I think you need to do some more investigating, you launch the Adams at 33* with C-Tapers in them which is one of the loweat launching shafts on the market, the Mizunos have the Dynalite XPs which is a higher launching shaft at only 29*. I am lead to believe you are leaving alot on the table with the number you provided. I would think your swing speed has to be fairly high to launch the ball that high yet still carry it that far so if you could get the correct fitting shafts or a lesson to fix the launch problem you could probanly gain some serious distance. IMHO

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro with True Temper Dynalite Golf XP S300
Launch 29.8
Backspin 4900
Lateral 2.2
Carry 168

You know which way I would lean bud. I have hit two of the three and the JPX's were absolutely sweet. I would need them fitted as they are a little short and upright for me.

I'm actually a bit surprised at how short some of your distances are for the Wilsons and Adams

I mean you're usually at least 2 clubs longer than I am but those are more in the range of my 7 iron

Most monitors are calibrated to sea level. At Calgary altitude he would likely be about 10-15 yards longer.

Most monitors are calibrated to sea level. At Calgary altitude he would likely be about 10-15 yards longer.

Having played at sea level recently I only saw about a 5 yard difference between Calgary area

Very small tweaks in your swing could change any of those numbers to your advantage.

What I would worry more about is what best suited your eye and what you felt was the easiest to consistently hit well.

I would need them fitted as they are a little short and upright for me.
Mizuno's are 2* flatter than everything else, you're 4* flat? Factor that in as well.

If they have the Optimizer, they very well could have a Mizuno fitting cart. If you don't plan to buy from them, you could at least have them set you up an 825 to hit without impact tape.

Scrap, I'd go again and see if you have the same big difference in results. There has to be a pretty big difference in ball speed between them that may be club related, but it could just be a coincidence too.

I would certainly not pass up on the Mizunos. The distance is solid and the other numbers are fairly comparable. The tape on the club face would certainly bring down the sping numbers a tad if it's the tape I've seen before. My brother just ordered the 825 pros and he was able to hit them outside with no tape or anything beforehand and they were really solid. He is a picker (10 handi) and drops it out of the sky as well. Doesn't do much coming down on the ball which sounds like your shot type. It may benefit you to find a place that gives you the ability to hit them outside with no limitations like a screen gives you.

Back