Best location you ever lived in

Grew up in the suburbs of Buffalo, lived in Chicago suburbs for a few years and currently live in Jamestown, NY. I like certain things about everyplace but none of them ever wowed me and made me think I want to live here forever. They all had their pros and cons but I would rank them Buffalo suburbs, Chicago suburbs and last Jamestown,NY.

I've only lived in the Kansas City metro since I was six, save for a few years when I was in Pittsburg, KS for college. So I guess the best location was Pittsburg. A city full of college girls living away from mom and dad for the first time? It was a fun place.

Lived in England for the first 39 years of my life. I now live close to Monterey on the Californian coast. It's a pretty tough place to beat!

I've liven in Bristol, RI, Taunton, MA (don't tell too many people that), Boca Raton, FL for college, and Tiverton, RI. My favorite was Boca for the weather and beach, although Bristol is a close second for small town feel with ocean streets away and some nightlife.

I've lived in the Mainz/Wiesbaden area of Germany twice, Arizona, Maryland between Baltimore and DC, Virginia, Northwest Washington, and short stints elsewhere...

I think I liked Germany the best, but I'm aware that I lived there in a situation where I could enjoy a lot of the amenities of America by living in military housing that I'm not sure would be replicated if I were there as a civilian. Being surrounded by American neighbors, English speakers, and being able to live tax-free made it different. Still, the climate, the people, the culture, architecture, style of Germany and Europe is really awesome to be around.

In the States, I'd say I still miss Northern Virginia. In less than a couple hours drive, I can be on the beach or in the mountains.

Come on down tons of us from buffalo :) I think we have five families just in our housing development. Have a few buffalo inspired restaurants as well:)

I have a family in my hood from buffalo and have some friends former co-workers from upstate Ny live around here. I have friends who live in Wake Forest just off route 1. I love that area. Need to convince the wife, been trying for 2 years

Toronto,I really miss the friendly atmosphere ad culture of the city. That being said it is on my list to places to relocate.

I have lived in Lewiston ME, Phila, DC, Miami, New Orleans, Pensacola, Jackson MS, Newport Beach CA and Phoenix.
I like Phoenix the best, New Orleans a very close #2. Incredibly different cities but both are terrific!

I only had the chance to spend 1/2 day on Phoenix and loved the scenery. I am a huge fan of the Southwest

I have only lived in California but i did enjoy the time i lived in Santa Rosa in Sonoma Co.

I only had the chance to spend 1/2 day on Phoenix and loved the scenery. I am a huge fan of the Southwest
Man, when I got orders down here this time, I thought I'd hate it. I spent my first trip down here treating it like a deployment...work for a year, and move on to your next station.

Now that I've been down here in Arizona for a couple years, I love it. I love the weather, I love the altitude, I love golfing 10 months out of the year without so much as a frost delay. Similar to Washington in the summer, I meet a lot of different people from different parts of the country. I can't beat the mixed 4-some of golfers who live in Arizona, are TDY at Fort Huachuca, and Winter but consider themselves from anywhere from Winnipeg to Yellowknife.

Easily the Outer Banks of NC. The courses are great, food is great, everyone is nice, and winter isn't too harsh

Without a doubt Pennington on the South Coast of my home province Natal, South Africa. So many great championship quality courses within a couple hours drive at most. Great weather and awesome courses! Great beaches, surfing and bodyboarding and an awesome community of maybe 2000 full time residents?

I have lived and worked all over the world, England, Scotland, Kuwait, Belize, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. Home in the UK will always be home, but my current and hopefully last permanent home will be Thailand. Reasonable weather, plenty to do, great people, great food, relaxing and as a expat extremely low cost of living. In my first career I saw pretty much everywhere with the Royal Navy, only places left to go are Oz, NZ and India (not sure that one is likely).

Kalamata Greece my home.

KalamataNight.jpg

Pensacola, FL. We lived just north of I-10 and it was rather rural. Enjoyed all four seasons, even got some snow flurries from time to time. Beach was close too.

JM

Sorry, man! You don't get to claim winter is a season in Pensacola! Y'all need INCHES or FEET of snow to claim that you have winter lol!

Well I grew up in Vancouver but then off to the military so I lived all over the country, everywhere I lived had its good points like the food in Ottawa ON. but also the bad points like the winter's in Moose Jaw, SK. Now at this ripe old age of 55 I don't like the traffic congestion of cities. So I now live in the Okanagan where I get a minimum of an 8 month golf season and lots of golf courses & wineries and rush hour consists of 3 cars arriving at a 4-way stop at the same time.

Sorry, man! You don't get to claim winter is a season in Pensacola! Y'all need INCHES or FEET of snow to claim that you have winter lol!

Haha, when your blood gets thin from living there and it gets in the thirties, it feels like winter, so we call it a season....:act-up:

JM

Haha, when your blood gets thin from living there and it gets in the thirties, it feels like winter, so we call it a season....:act-up:

JM
Pensacola is downright cold, I don't know how those northerners handle it.

Vancouver. The place is just fantastic. Food, culture, water, snow in the mountains, forests, fishing, etc. I still go there several times per year. The downside is the rain sometimes.

Southern California has great weather but it is highly overrated otherwise.
I'd have to agree with you.
I'm really happy (and grateful) to be living down here, but Vancouver is a true world class city.
However, the downside is that real estate has gotten absolutely absurd.

You can't beat the weather here is SoCal (esp if you love to golf), but I always find it odd when people tell me they couldn't be happy somewhere b/c of the weather. Really? Your happiness is dependent upon the weather????

Well I grew up in Vancouver but then off to the military so I lived all over the country, everywhere I lived had its good points like the food in Ottawa ON. but also the bad points like the winter's in Moose Jaw, SK. Now at this ripe old age of 55 I don't like the traffic congestion of cities. So I now live in the Okanagan where I get a minimum of an 8 month golf season and lots of golf courses & wineries and rush hour consists of 3 cars arriving at a 4-way stop at the same time.
I lived in Salmon Arm, Sicamous and Kelowna over a 3 yr period; absolutely incredible area (although I hear Kelowna has grown too fast, too quickly).

I lived in Salmon Arm, Sicamous and Kelowna over a 3 yr period; absolutely incredible area (although I hear Kelowna has grown too fast, too quickly).

Yeah I hate going to Kelowna now, traffic is pouch'd going in from the south. It has grown way too fast for the infrastructure, Westbank in now part of it. I try to avoid it as much as possible, but Golf Town & Airport is there.

Having only lived in Kelowna and Vancouver I've been truly blessed.

Two wonderful places for two different reasons.

I grew up in Orange County, CA (beaches, Disneyland), lived in the SF Bay area and am now in Portland. I prefer Portland by a wide margin. Really nice people. A solid beer, food and wine community. Surprisingly good golf. Great outdoors activities. A bit of an eclectic artsy vibe. And a very livable downtown which some people compare to NYC in the 40s.

Last edited:
Back