Regular grip --> Midsize grip

chirpy

Reaction score
Handicap
By all the normal measurements, I need a midsize grip, and I really like the feel of a midsize grip as well. However, sometimes it's hard to find the style I want in a midsize (for example, those limited edition Golf Pride ones are cool - but only come in standard).

I've heard you can add more tape to a standard grip to make it feel like a mid-size, however, I'm curious if this is actually true (and does more tape just make it more firm?). Does anyone have any experience beefing up standard grips to make them feel like midsize? And what would you recommend - just sticking with midsize or actually beefing up a standard?

3 extra wraps will do the trick and I know people who go that route. I'll say that if you're doing them yourself it's a big pain in the butt with all that tape under there. Lots and lots of solvent.

I know with additional tape wrap, it's in increase of 1/64". From what I understand, one would slap on an additional wrap or two to get to an "in-between" size (standard Vs. midsize). I usually put two wraps on my standard grips and I don't notice anything different to the grip itself.

I would think that if you beef up your standard grip with additional tape (4 wraps maybe?), it might be a bit difficult to slide the new grip onto the shaft with that much tape on. Also, you might see the grip ripping from the side as the core size of the grip is only meant to be "stretched" to a certain amount.

Try a standard grip if you have the time and patience. If not, I'd stick with midsized grips.

By all the normal measurements, I need a midsize grip, and I really like the feel of a midsize grip as well. However, sometimes it's hard to find the style I want in a midsize (for example, those limited edition Golf Pride ones are cool - but only come in standard).

I've heard you can add more tape to a standard grip to make it feel like a mid-size, however, I'm curious if this is actually true (and does more tape just make it more firm?). Does anyone have any experience beefing up standard grips to make them feel like midsize? And what would you recommend - just sticking with midsize or actually beefing up a standard?

I have done it both ways & as Hawk said sliding a regular size grip over 2-3 wraps of tape is a giant pain

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I'll stick with midsize grips without the cool limited edition colors :(

Now if only they would make those special New Decade grips in midsize...

Thanks guys I was just looking up how many wraps are needed to make a standard grip into a midsize!

Regular grip --> Midsize grip

At one point I used 6 wraps under my grips. It was mostly a bandaid for hooking at the time but since I reused the grips I had a pretty easy time getting them on. Now I use 2 wraps just for a slightly larger feel than stndard, but I would recommend 3-4 for making it more of a true mid size grip size.

I've had the same issues as I was fit to an in between. In the long run I decided to just go mid size.

I add 1 wrap on mine works great i to should use mid size but they always feel to big in my hands

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I'll stick with midsize grips without the cool limited edition colors :(

i just stumbled onto the golf pride ndmc platinum grips on golftown in mid size. Only one color option by the looks, but atleast there is an option.

Lamkin REL 3Gens come in some decent colors and you can get mid-size. I've been using mid-size orange for a couple seasons now. It's a good, durable grip pretty middle of the road between soft and firm.

I've gone as high as three wraps with the Lamkins, and they presented zero problems going on. Seems like 4 would not be too much trouble. Good colors with the Lamkins as has already been stated too!

JM

Lamkin REL 3Gens come in some decent colors and you can get mid-size. I've been using mid-size orange for a couple seasons now. It's a good, durable grip pretty middle of the road between soft and firm.

How hard are they to keep clean?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Some gripes go a long way with the RELs!!

To the OP:: I play standard grips with three total wraps and I really like them. Have never had issues with grip hardness or anything.

I have Lamkin ace 3 gens midsized on one set and standard size with 4 total wraps on another. Feels just about smae. With ace 3 gens the built up standard does not feel any firmer. No issues getting them on with good amount of solvent

I've never had trouble keeping them clean and I'm not religious about washing them either. I usually give them a wipe with the towel and they're good. They are good in the summer here when it's over 100 all the time and my hands sweat like crazy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've never had trouble keeping them clean and I'm not religious about washing them either. I usually give them a wipe with the towel and they're good. They are good in the summer here when it's over 100 all the time and my hands sweat like crazy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That's good to know, it'll be warming up soon here.

When I regripped my grips I had 4 wraps put on, these are very similar in size to midsize grips

I first put on 4 wraps of tape, but different lengths to build up the lower end of the grip so I don't feel the taper of the shaft. Then I add the one piece of double-sided tape, then the grip. I have no problem sliding the regular size grip over all of this tape. I've tried midsize grips but like my "anti-taper" system with a regular grip much better.

I have REL 3 GENS with 3 wraps on my irons. I have the same grips in mid-size on a couple of shaft pulls. If my eyes were closed I probably couldn't tell the difference at all. FWIW I did the work myself and didn't have any issues getting the grip on over the extra wraps.

I play with 4 wraps, which from what I've seen should be just short of a midsize grip, but I might be off. I'm thinking I'm going to go w/ midsize PURE grips next. One point to highlight is there is a weight difference between midsize and standard that some people can feel, particularly in the balance of the club, so if you are very sensitive to that I'd think hard about building up standard grips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I experimented with adding wraps or moving up in grip size. In my situation, I found it best to just get the larger grip.

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I'll stick with midsi grips without the cool limited edition colors :
The New Decades do come in midsize.

extra tape

extra tape

I first put on 4 wraps of tape, but different lengths to build up the lower end of the grip so I don't feel the taper of the shaft. Then I add the one piece of double-sided tape, then the grip. I have no problem sliding the regular size grip over all of this tape. I've tried midsize grips but like my "anti-taper" system with a regular grip much better.

^^ What he said!! I just re-griped ( Black Widows) and put 2 shorter pieces of tape (stepped to reduce taper) with 4 layers of tape over that. The new grips slid on with no problem at all and fit my hands great. So I say go for it, use plenty of mineral spirits and install the grips that you like!

Back