bavs

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster long time follower. I have a driver dilemma. Short background. I'm a scratch golfer that competes in local tournaments but have always struggled to commit to clubs when I perceive them as game improvement clubs. So this year I have a Wilson Staff D200 with a extra stiff phenom nl. I also have a Wilson Staff M3 with the same shaft. My third driver option is a Cleveland Classic XL Custom with a miyazaki 6s stiff flex. I love the look of the Cleveland but don't think the shaft is stiff enough. I also hit the D200 a mile. This brings me back to my mental hurdle of playing something that I perceive to be a game improvement club. What should I do?

What Miyazaki shaft is it?
What makes a driver game improvement?

It's the 6s shaft code 5543. I was watching golf channel and they said that the D200 was crafted to have a draw bias and meant for slower swingers and was listed under max game improvement according to golf digest

If you play it well does it honestly really matter. To me if it works it works. when you are beating guys in a tournament I doubt they care if it was a callaway off the tour truck or a wilson bought on clearance at sport authority. I say game what you play best.

I agree to that. But I'm thinking that I'm more apt to hit the d200 off line on my misses but the whole bag is Wilson and I want to have it in the bag. Anyone have any experience as a better player with 115 mph club head speed playing the D200?

I agree to that. But I'm thinking that I'm more apt to hit the d200 off line on my misses but the whole bag is Wilson and I want to have it in the bag. Anyone have any experience as a better player with 115 mph club head speed playing the D200?

I was anywhere from 112-117mph with the D200 in my fitting. The NL was one of the shafts I had tried but to me it felt a little boardy. I went with the Tour Green and absolutely love it. I will post the link to the #PersonalDistace thread from last October when myself and 8 other THPers went to Wilson HQ in Chicago and each got fitted to the D200 by the W/S tour fitter. We had a wide variety of swing speeds

It's the 6s shaft code 5543. I was watching golf channel and they said that the D200 was crafted to have a draw bias and meant for slower swingers and was listed under max game improvement according to golf digest

They are incorrect for the most part. The reason it was listed that way was because of the total weight, the target market for the total weight and that all comes back to the standard shaft they use. You are not playing it anywhere near that total weight.

I was referring to what model Miyazaki, rather than the flex code. That flex code says that it is stronger in the butt section and softer in the tip. The Kusala Blue was set at 5544 and was very much a mid-launch.

Yes the D200 comes to about 15 grams lighter than the Cleveland after I added the Phenom NL. I am going to take them all to the range when this snow goes away and compare and go from there! Thanks everyone

Hi, first time poster long time follower. I have a driver dilemma. Short background. I'm a scratch golfer that competes in local tournaments but have always struggled to commit to clubs when I perceive them as game improvement clubs. So this year I have a Wilson Staff D200 with a extra stiff phenom nl. I also have a Wilson Staff M3 with the same shaft. My third driver option is a Cleveland Classic XL Custom with a miyazaki 6s stiff flex. I love the look of the Cleveland but don't think the shaft is stiff enough. I also hit the D200 a mile. This brings me back to my mental hurdle of playing something that I perceive to be a game improvement club. What should I do?

The D200 is a game improvement driver only if it improves your game. Sounds like you hit it a mile, so there you go.

If you play it well does it honestly really matter. To me if it works it works. when you are beating guys in a tournament I doubt they care if it was a callaway off the tour truck or a wilson bought on clearance at sport authority. I say game what you play best.

Well said!

GI doesn't mean lower quality...I went to an SGI all hybrid iron setup last year from a GI set. I'm much more consistent. Who cares what you play if the score is good?
I game the XL Custom and I love it. I am a high spin driver hitter and that deep face really helps. I gave up a 2014 driver that was in the bag for a 2013 one that I hit better. I hit it much better than what I had in there before. Spin dropped almost 700 RPM on average. I use both the Miyazaki JDL6 and a Matrix Black Tie depending on conditions. The JDL is a bit higher launch but it is an excellent shaft. The Stiff may not be best for your swing speed.

If it works for you, game it.

Get over the ego and play what works best. You have a forgiving driver that you hit a mile, I don't see what the problem is.

The Cleveland classic XL is a solid driver, one of my all time favorites. Very consistent , low the lower spin I am seeing from using this set up. The Wilson D200 is no push over though, both are very solid drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get over the ego and play what works best. You have a forgiving driver that you hit a mile, I don't see what the problem is.

Exactly, especially when it comes to a driver. I can see in the irons, where some better players can't hit GI irons because of their chunkiness and prefer the slim top line and smaller heads of a blade but when it comes to drivers is it really that easy to tell if something is more forgiving or not? Bubba Watson is one of the best drivers in the world and as far as I know he always played the G series of Ping Drives, which are more friendly than the I's. So if Bubba can play drivers like that, why couldn't anybody else?

Exactly, especially when it comes to a driver. I can see in the irons, where some better players can't hit GI irons because of their chunkiness and prefer the slim top line and smaller heads of a blade but when it comes to drivers is it really that easy to tell if something is more forgiving or not? Bubba Watson is one of the best drivers in the world and as far as I know he always played the G series of Ping Drives, which are more friendly than the I's. So if Bubba can play drivers like that, why couldn't anybody else?

and tiger is gaming a smaller glued in version of the speed.

Why would it matter if you are hitting it great. I'm not even close to your numbers but if you hit it well why would it matter what category the driver shows up in print. Good is good to me. Good luck with your comparison!

So I went to the range today and the xl custom seems to have the lead in making it into my bag. I have an extra stiff shaft on the way for it but I'm thinking it will be the gamer at least to begin the year. The d200 is solid but I feel more comfortable working the ball both ways with the custom

Back