It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

ClairefromClare

Give 'em Helen!
Reaction score
Handicap
Brazilian
Okay, now that Thanksgiving is over, it's officially Christmas. Everything went up today but the tree (and the outdoor lights--that's Hubby's job).

Everything means everything. Not just all the decorations. I switch all the table linens, the dish towels, even the towels and soap in the powder room (someone once gave me elf soap). We have Christmas dishes, Christmas candles for the candle sticks, you name it, we have it. There's an entire closet in my house just for Christmas.

I keep thinking that I would have made such a great ultra Orthodox Jew. I could totally get into kosher for Passover. But this will do.

Sounds like fun... My house is the bizarro Claire home.

Sounds like fun... My house is the bizarro Claire home.

I haven't a clue what that means.

Oh--and for the next month or so, it's wall-to-wall Christmas music. I'm going to strangle Der Bingle before it's over. But I still love it.

We are setting up our tree right now...And by that I mean Golfer Gal is putting the balls on the tree and I am watching her. We put the moving ornaments outside and the stocking stuff, but we dont go to the extreme like you do. But then again we are both Jewish so having a tree is pretty extreme.

I haven't a clue what that means.

Oh--and for the next month or so, it's wall-to-wall Christmas music. I'm going to strangle Der Bingle before it's over. But I still love it.

Superman reference via Seinfeld meaning opposite world.

We are setting up our tree right now...And by that I mean Golfer Gal is putting the balls on the tree and I am watching her. We put the moving ornaments outside and the stocking stuff, but we dont go to the extreme like you do. But then again we are both Jewish so having a tree is pretty extreme.

Wouldn't that be the Hanukkah bush?

Superman reference via Seinfeld meaning opposite world.

Someday, someone is going to have to get me a Seinfeld reference guide, just so all this doesn't go right past me.

No, its a Christmas Tree. We celebrate Christmas since it is more festive. We know our roots but like the festivities of your holiday.

No, its a Christmas Tree. We celebrate Christmas since it is more festive. We know our roots but like the festivities of your holiday.

Well, one of my favorite holiday memories (however hazy) is still the VERY alcoholic Hanukkah party that devolved into a game of strip dreidel...

Too much info. hehe

A powder room is a bath room. Sounds like another question for the what do you call it thread!

What the hell is a powder room?

LOL - a bathroom. Specifically, the part without the toilet/shower/bathtub. Where ladies powder their nose.

What the hell is a powder room?

It's what women used to call the ladies toilet.

Instead of saying
"I have to pee. Jane, Emily, Sue, Beth, Christy, Robin, Cathy, and Nicole, do you want to come with me?"
they would say
"I'm going to powder my nose. Jane, Emily, Sue, Beth, Christy, Robin, Cathy, and Nicole, do you want to come with me?"
Apparently, females in the 50's didn't urinate. They just fixed their make-up.

Oh my gawsh, no. We use the facilities, wash our hands, then stop to check our powder. And we go with our girlfriends so we can all talk about you.

Taking this thread back over

Taking this thread back over

And then there's the cooking.

We host a neighborhood eggnog and cookie party the Sunday before Christmas. Hubby takes his bar very, very seriously. Back in September, he blended the brandies and other liqueurs, cracked the whole spices, and has had them blending away in a cool dark closet. He does the whole thing from scratch--separates the eggs, whips the cream, grates the nutmeg, you name it. People who hate eggnog (that would include me) live for this stuff. All fall, our neighbors ask him how it's coming along.

The cookie baking started last weekend. I make a batch a week and freeze them. With a house full of company this week, we'll be doing the roll out-ice-sprinkle cookies, so it will be a floury mess.

I do feel sorry for those of you without little kids this time of year. Mine are always available for rent. Heck, if you promise to keep them, I may send them out for free!

Another big push weekend--outdoor lights and tree are up. Lights are on the tree, but the big ornamenting will be tomorrow. Followed by tinsel, one strand at a time. Ugh, but it looks magical when it's done. Poinsettias flanking living room and dining room fireplaces. Third batch of Christmas cookies (white chocolate and cranberry) baked and in the freezer. Tony Bennett crooning carols throughout the first floor, scented candle going. I love this time of year!

(Just so I don't think about the Christmas cards that aren't even started yet--usually they'd be out the door by now.)

And tonight in Texas...it's snowing! Well, kind of. Icy pelting drops. Not the luxurious blanket Minnesnowta would get but still, I'm tickled...Just in time for Christmas. Jay says it'll be 80 again by the end of the week...oh well.

I withdraw my icy pelts statement - it has turned fluffy, big and beautiful! (Largely because it won't stick around to drive in!)

IMG_2925.jpg

I withdraw my icy pelts statement - it has turned fluffy, big and beautiful! (Largely because it won't stick around to drive in!)

IMG_2925.jpg

Weird. Texas snow looks like small pugs wearing harnesses.

Both the girls are sooooo into Christmas. As far as I'm concerned, it's a 2 day thing. They put up the tree and decorated it the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I put up lights on the house outside (the cool LED ones), if this weather will pass, I'll get the front yard mowed to get the last of the grass and leaves, then put lights in the shrubs and such.

The Christmas music, I can really do without. It's fine for the 2 days of celebration, but a whole month of it just makes me go bananas.

I put up my outdoor lights on Sun eve, when the temp was in the teens with the wind. Now, 3 days later it's near 60 degrees.
Timing is everything.:angry:

I put up my outdoor lights on Sun eve, when the temp was in the teens with the wind. Now, 3 days later it's near 60 degrees.
Timing is everything.:angry:

You're not alone!

Boo Girl helped me tinsel the tree last night. The house is dry, so the tinsel kept grabbing her legs. She told me she was imagining she was a rock star, and the tinsel was her fans, reaching for her and wanting autographs.

This child is going to be serious trouble!

Well cant get kids into christmas sprit around here, we are going to California for christmas and kids have said that their is no point to even put up a tree if were are not going to be here. Very sad, but kids don't know that we are going to disneyland on christmas day, they just think that we are going to visit grandma and grandpa for christmas. hehehehe

Well cant get kids into christmas sprit around here, we are going to California for christmas and kids have said that their is no point to even put up a tree if were are not going to be here. Very sad, but kids don't know that we are going to disneyland on christmas day, they just think that we are going to visit grandma and grandpa for christmas. hehehehe

How old are the kids? (If you're comfortable saying.) They'll have a great surprise, but the anticipation is so much fun--it's sad to miss out on that.

Back