Why isn't Kaymer Lofting up w/ SLDR

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I've heard about the SLDR is about lofting up and getting longer carry and roll out. Then I see Laymer's WITB and he's playing a 8.5 degree SLDR Driver. Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the club and wouldn't there be better options for him from Taylormade? Just curious as it seems to go completely against everything I've heard about the driver.
When you buy a Ford Fusion, you aren't buying the one used in NASCAR. I'm pretty sure similar principles apply.

When you buy a Ford Fusion, you aren't buying the one used in NASCAR. I'm pretty sure similar principles apply.

How does a tour issue SLDR differ than a retail SLDR?

I was wondering when blu would get here. Have fun with this buddy

I can get that shaft in my SLDR through Taylormade.

On the website it says "Custom Only". Wonder how much more that jacks the price of this club up. Anyone can buy anything, it just doesn't make it widely accessible/reasonable to the masses.

Besides, the "performance" issue still remains. Putting the same club in an amateurs hands isn't going to be comparable to what Kaymer can do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you are misinterpreting the question, and even if you aren't that's unnecessarily rude.

I read OP's question more as "why doesn't Kaymer need to loft up if he's using the SLDR that TM says should be lofted up?" The real answer IMO is that he has the club head speed, smash factor (center of face) and positive angle of attack of an extremely good driver. he's almost certainly launching his 8.5* SLDR higher than the average joe would with a 10.5, and his faster ball speed means he doesn't need quite as much launch angle as the average joe. it's simply a different equation when your driver swing is that good.

I agree with this 100% the only thing I would add is this good for the loft up initiative? Could Kaymer still be "winning" hitting at 10.5*+?

When I bought my first driver I bought a 9.5* because I'm a "man" and that's going to make it go farther.

Basically it was my ego buying the club. I'm sure any others have and will do the same especially if he's driving it 300 yards.

Then again, maybe I digress and the same people that don't know they shouldn't be playing the 8.5* SLDR have no idea Kaymer is. ;). (Also does TM care since their driver is in the bag of the US OPEN winner?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the website it says "Custom Only". Wonder how much more that jacks the price of this club up. Anyone can buy anything, it just doesn't make it widely accessible/reasonable to the masses.

Besides, the "performance" issue still remains. Putting the same club in an amateurs hands isn't going to be comparable to what Kaymer can do with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The ad-di6 is $200 adder. $700 total.

I agree with this 100% the only thing I would add is this good for the loft up initiative? Could Kaymer still be "winning" hitting at 10.5*+?

When I bought my first driver I bought a 9.5* because I'm a "man" and that's going to make it go farther.

Basically it was my ego buying the club. I'm sure any others have and will do the same especially if he's driving it 300 yards.

Then again, maybe I digress and the same people that don't know they shouldn't be playing the 8.5* SLDR have no idea Kaymer is. ;). (Also does TM care since their driver is in the bag of the US OPEN winner?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaymer winning with an SLDR is not a bad thing in anyway for Taylormade. Loft up or not.

How does a tour issue SLDR differ than a retail SLDR?

Weight sorted head, Face angle specific to the player as well we can get our hands on the same just need to be willing to pay $ and hope your exact specs come up. Realistically none of us should be comparing to Kaymer anyway no one is as dialed in spec wise as the pros (some of them) unless they have spent a ton of time and money. Also who says he is not lofting up maybe he hit a 7.5 before? All hypothetical and the results cant be argued.

FWIW guys, this was his WITB when he won The Players (just driver for these purposes):
Martin Kaymer WITB
Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 460 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 X shaft

Some would consider that lofting up over his 8.5* R9 that he played when he won the PGA in 2010. Probably just got something with less loft this week because he can and it worked for him. What more can you ask?

Last edited:
He might have had better launch and spin conditions with a 9.5 than at 10.5 or higher. Doesn't matter, he was solid with it all week.

Lofting up works for me but I'm not a big hitter I use a 13.5HT X Hot with a A flex shaft I took the 13.5 head off and put a 11.5 on and lost on average 10 metres.

FWIW guys, this was his WITB when he won The Players (just driver for these purposes):

Some would consider that lofting up over his 8* RBZ that he played when he won the PGA in 2010. Probably just got something with less loft this week because he can and it worked for him. What more can you ask?

Was it an RBZ at the PGA? That wasn't out in 2010

R9 460cc. 8.5°@ the 2010 PGA.

Right, so maybe with the conditions for this US Open, a lower launch was advantageous for more roll out on these fairways that put less of a premium on carry over what he used at The Players. We may never know, but what we do know is he won his second major before he's 30 this weekend.

Right, so maybe with the conditions for this US Open, a lower launch was advantageous for more roll out on these fairways that put less of a premium on carry over what he used at The Players. We may never know, but what we do know is he won his second major before he's 30 this weekend.

Huh? I thought he used the same SLDR setup at The Players.

Huh? I thought he used the same SLDR setup at The Players.

The THP WITB said 9.5* for The Players and the original post here said 8.5*.

Which apparently is wrong....

TM just posted on twitter that it was a 9.5 460 SLDR in his bag
So he did loft up :)
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TM just posted on twitter that it was a 9.5 460 SLDR in his bag
So he did loft up :)
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Well then boom, this thread is null and void. Moving on.

I absolutely love that he was using the Lethal. Take that, TM... you had a good ball. bring it back! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back