Playing lesson turned bad

Castpro

Reaction score
Handicap
A few days ago I had a playing lesson with the assistant pro at the club which my wife and I are members. I've been taking lessons from him for well over a year and he's helped me lower my handicap and become a much better ball striker.

We were working on a swing "tweak" to get me to rotate better and use my body more. Things had been going great until the previous hole when I started hitting with an open face and missing right (slice). Second shot from 160 out on the last hole from middle of fairway was not pretty. A low thin shot that tailed right but still in the fairway. The pro threw down another ball which I proceeded to slice to the edge of the fairway near the green. No one was behind us so after a chat on clean contact he threw down another ball. Result was better.

Here is where the trouble began....

The pro dropped me near my ball(s) and headed to the green in the cart. I hit the best of the three balls and picked up the second. I walked over to my third ball near the OB right when I heard a voice booming from the deck of a fairway townhome.....

"You can't hit three GD balls from the fairway! If you are going to practice, go to the GD practice range!! I tried to calmly tell the man (older guy mid-late 70's) that I was having a playing lesson but he would not let me get a word in. He cussed me like an angry sailor. When he slowed down enough to hear what I was saying it just seem to piss him off more. He then accused me of hitting his house with a golf ball (did NOT happen), called me a liar then told me to kiss his a$$. By this time my anger rose and I had some choice words for him. Hearing the exchange, the pro walked up and tried to sooth both parties.

I'm in my early 50's, semi retired and play golf for the fun and challenge that it brings. Being a champion completive distance surfcaster (fishing's version of long drive) I'm in decent shape and a pretty powerful guy. I don't anger easily but this really tee'd me off.

Have you guys had similar experiences? I'm a bit concerned over how I'll respond if this fellow ever says another word to me. I try to show respect, especially to older folks but not sure I'll be able to contain myself if there is another confrontation.

Tommy

Don't sweat the crazy dude. You won't be able to win any argument with a nutjob.

It's none of that guy's business what happens on the golf course, which is not his property and where he is not a registered golfer. Tell him to mind his own damn business.

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

when I heard a voice booming from the deck of a fairway townhome.....
So the guy was hanging out on his deck waiting for a potential rules violation to occur? Some people just need a reason to be angry ass hats..

Wow. What a nut job. I probably would have lost my mind. I would have told that old fart to beat it and stop wasting time or he might miss the early bird at Sizzler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You gave the guy any attention? I would have nodded and walked away without even letting him know I cared.

Actually, I probably would have given him a thumbs up and said something snarky while walking away.

Hey, at least he didn't pull a Clint Eastwood:

get_off_my_lawn.png

:alien:

Seriously though, dude sounds nuts. Best to ignore colossal asshats like that and move on. I would have had a hard time not saying anything though.

You gave the guy any attention? I would have nodded and walked away without even letting him know I cared.

Actually, I probably would have given him a thumbs up and said something snarky while walking away.

I feel exactly the same way. I've dealt with some jerks before. Some smart@$$ comment and walking away usually makes me feel better while hoping the guy eventually learns what a jerk he is.

If the guy lives on the course, I would hope the golf course would let him know not to yell at their customers in the future, but it sounds like the assistant pro already tried that.

~Rock

That does sound quite awful. When I was younger I played a course that had some houses very close to the OB lines. Some people would accuse you of hitting their house and whatnot. However none of my experiences seem to equate to what yours was.

Some people live their whole life just looking for reasons to be offended. As others have said don't enable them by engaging them.

Exactly... give him the ol' Phil.

phil-callaway.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. It's funny how you think of all the quick retorts after the fact. I'm usually pretty quick witted but this fellow caught me completely off guard and his aggressive behavior left me speechless at first. By the time I was able to respond I was angry and the wit went out the window.

you can talk to me, but don't cuss me....that was crossing the line. You aren't responsible for his attitude,yet you had every right to put him in his place,once he cussed you. I'd report the incident to the Course owner(s) & the HOA,which most GC developments have,and let then take it from there.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Wave, smile, and say "Thank you dude!!" And move on about your merry way. He was looking for a fight it sounds like and I you sort of fell right into his trap. I know it's hard to walk away sometimes, but especially the older and someone you will see rarely, just let it slide and move on.

I bet he is the same guy that telephones in rules violations to the tour when watching on TV. Don't let the old crazy man bother you.

Life is way to short for that crap, smile and wave or give the thumbs up or the middle finger, then keep on going, he is just trying to suck you in to his miserable life, the old saying still holds true, Kill Em with Kindness they hate that crap

you can talk to me, but don't cuss me....that was crossing the line. You aren't responsible for his attitude,yet you had every right to put him in his place,once he cussed you. I'd report the incident to the Course owner(s) & the HOA,which most GC developments have,and let then take it from there.

That's pretty good advice about reporting it to the course owner or HOA.

Absolutely no reason for that sort of behavoir, especially from someone who is not even playing.

Castpro--This happen at Olde Point? I remember your other thread about your Callaway demo day there and was wondering if that happened at Olde Point. Probably would have had to be on #18 because those townhomes are right off the fairway.

Castpro--This happen at Olde Point? I remember your other thread about your Callaway demo day there and was wondering if that happened at Olde Point. Probably would have had to be on #18 because those townhomes are right off the fairway.[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes...

Just like road rage people....smile and wave. Just realize that with they way they live their life, always in anger/looking for a fight, their life sucks.....and your does not.

I'd give him a quick wave or tip of the hat and move on. Don't even speak to him. He isn't worth your time or breath, and really isn't worth your fists.

Swearing at me angrily for no good reason makes me laugh in your face. It's a bit childish on my part, but I suppose so is losing your mind over someone playing golf within their rights.

I hope it doesn't continue, and it's a shame it happened. There's no time for the hateful nuts who live on a course and think they run the place.

Where did it happen? Olde Pointe or Castle Bay?

A similar guy taught me in a not so polite way that if I reach under the barbwire fence between the course and his hayfield with a pitching wedge to retrieve a ball that trickled under the fence that I am trespassing.

Back