mjNE

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with. It's on the topic of gear effect, and if you've never heard of gear effect, basically a ball hit off the toe will want to hook and a ball off of the heel will want to fade. Now I know this is true with driver, and less so with irons because of where the center of gravity of the club is located. My question is, typically in your play how have hybrid clubs responded? My swing is a bit steep and still cuts slightly across the ball (working on it) so long irons are tough for me to hit (not much height wise, more to do with shots peeling off in a fade). However, the 3 hybrid I own works wonders, almost always with a small draw. My miss is a toe shot, and I'm starting to think that I hit the hybrid better just because of the gear effect , not because I'm putting a better swing on a longer, less lofted club. To make a long story short, what are your experiences with gear effect throughout the bag?

Yes, certain hybrids give me very pretty toe hooks.

I would agree I see it more in the hybrids than any other club.

Yes, certain hybrids give me very pretty toe hooks.

With the profile of how hybrids set up, I'm starting to think that this is the reason why many complain about hooks with hybrids, not because hybrids inherently hook. If a better player with a grooved swing hits a ball of the toe with a long iron, it will go shorter, but should still be fairly straight. Hybrid could hook. With some long irons trying to give as much distance on these mishits, it makes a lot of sense that some people could have this miss and not realize it, and then hit a hybrid and think they simply can not hit hybrids.

With the profile of how hybrids set up, I'm starting to think that this is the reason why many complain about hooks with hybrids, not because hybrids inherently hook. If a better player with a grooved swing hits a ball of the toe with a long iron, it will go shorter, but should still be fairly straight. Hybrid could hook. With some long irons trying to give as much distance on these mishits, it makes a lot of sense that some people could have this miss and not realize it, and then hit a hybrid and think they simply can not hit hybrids.

I think it's more weighting and face closure if look at better players, but that certainly does play a part.

I can hook pretty much any club in the bag except for the putter, and I can get some funny rolls out of it too.

I can hook pretty much any club in the bag except for the putter, and I can get some funny rolls out of it too.

No joke, my golftec coach said I had a 'draw' putting stroke.

I tend to open the face a little with the hybrids to get them to do what I want. Worst case is I hit a ball straight right. Better than the 40 yard hook, IMO.

Most hybrids I've played seem to be a little on the closed side so it's not surprising to see the results you're seeing with your hybrid.

The one I'm gaming currently doesn't feature crazy offset and *according to the company* is one degree open.

Back