Regripping during the swing...

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
So over the past few years I seemed to have developed an ugly regripping issue in my swing. At the top I would/will regrip, especially with my right hand. I never really noticed it until mid last week. But I always knew there was some issue up there but I had no real idea of what it was.

Only thing I did know is that I would get bad blisters/calluses in two certain areas on my left and right hands. Because of this I would always wear athletic tape to try and help. I also often times had a feeling that the club was dropping out of my hands.

Last week I hit the range after work and it hit me that the regripping was happening. I started to really focus on keeping my right hand on the grip through the whole swing and I immediately started hitting the ball more solid, consistent and seemingly further. It seems that the regripping was making a LOT of things not work correctly in my swing. I have been miffed that my practice swing always seemed great and then the real one was a true struggle no matter what I tried

I practiced it more at the range Saturday and then brought it to the course Sunday morning. First tee, boom, hybrid right down the middle. 2nd shot 138 yd pw to 8 ft. Drilled it for birdie. Shot 37 on the front with a few birdies.

Kept with it the whole day, although reverting back to my old habits a few times... Most specifically two par 5's on the back 9 when I tried to be much too aggressive with the swing and lost my focus on keeping my hands on the grip. Hands came off and got funky and I ended up with a 9 and a 7....on par 5's. Doh!! Shot 40 on the back which I was okay with since I was 6 over on 2 holes. But I hit 2 of the 3 par 3's to less than 10 ft and my distances were pretty good.

What even made things better is my short game felt more confident because I was striking my tee to green shots better.

ObvIously i've still got a lot of work to do still but man am I hyped!

Anyone else ever deal with re-gripping issues? How did you handle them?

Like you, I would regrip mostly on swings where I was really trying to get after it, although mine would come during the takeaeay, and I would strengthen my grip considerably. I really try to focus on a lighter grip pressure and a smooth takeaway... it seems to help, but I'll admit that it is still a constant struggle.

Yeah I used to have that habit too in the past, doing all sorts of hand and wrist movement at the top in the desire to kill the ball. Did more damage than good. These days I focus on a smooth tempo to keep all the body parts in sync. The fidgeting is gone.

Something I am currently struggling with as well. Top of the swing and I increase grip pressure and end up swinging it like a stiff lumberjack. Amazing what tension does to the golf swing.

One trick I learn just yesterday by my golf instructor has transformed my swing and excessive gripping. He had my place my left hand on the club normal, and then wrap my right hand around my left hand and had me swing. It essentially made it a one hand swing. Yet my plane improved, my downswing was more inside out and I felt like I was swinging my club faster. He told me the try to get that feeling with my normal grip. It is a work in progress but everything is improving.

I am/was the king of regripping but seem to have a grip on it now lol

I have battled this issue all the time. I have made some changes to many grip and I feel it's become better. I still have some issues with it on my left thumb.

Can someone describe this reg ripping process? Is the hand moving into a new position? Are you losing your grip at the top of the swing? What exactly is happening?

Can someone describe this reg ripping process? Is the hand moving into a new position? Are you losing your grip at the top of the swing? What exactly is happening?
It's a momentary opening and closing of one or both hands. It mostly happens on the downswing.

I think that excessive grip pressure is part of the problem. Too much tension in the forearms. To complete the swing, the tension will relieve itself by involuntarily opening the hands.

I was told that the only two figures of the right hand that really hold the club are the pointer and thumb. The other three are just along for the ride.

so the hands are actually moving on the club during the swing, not just manipulating the face? I don't see how this is even possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One trick I learn just yesterday by my golf instructor has transformed my swing and excessive gripping. He had my place my left hand on the club normal, and then wrap my right hand around my left hand and had me swing. It essentially made it a one hand swing. Yet my plane improved, my downswing was more inside out and I felt like I was swinging my club faster. He told me the try to get that feeling with my normal grip. It is a work in progress but everything is improving.

I like that. I think I'll give it a try at the range. Thanks!

It's a momentary opening and closing of one or both hands. It mostly happens on the downswing.

I think that excessive grip pressure is part of the problem. Too much tension in the forearms. To complete the swing, the tension will relieve itself by involuntarily opening the hands.

I was told that the only two figures of the right hand that really hold the club are the pointer and thumb. The other three are just along for the ride.

Yes, grip pressure comes from the index finger and thumb of the right hand (RH golfer). I've always found that if you hold the club lightly at address, the hands naturally tighten on the back swing. This keeps you nice and relaxed through most of the swing.

so the hands are actually moving on the club during the swing, not just manipulating the face? I don't see how this is even possible.

Take the club back and as fast as you can, open and close your right hand. It isn't a good thing

So over the past few years I seemed to have developed an ugly regripping issue in my swing.

Kept with it the whole day, although reverting back to my old habits a few times...

ObvIously i've still got a lot of work to do still but man am I hyped!

Anyone else ever deal with re-gripping issues? How did you handle them?

Don't do this but I can see (from your post) sounds like a habit you developed. I'd assume it will take some time and repetitions to break free of it. The good part is that you don't need to hit a ball to train yourself to automatically stop doing it because you can simply swing a club at home as many times as you want. At some point it should become automatic that you no longer do it and wont have to think about it at all. Good Luck.

Both. Half my right hand, if not more would/will come off and reposition on the club near the top of my swing.

Oh it's possible.... Unfortunately.

Both. Half my right hand, if not more would/will come off and reposition on the club near the top of my swing.

That is crazy! I'm not doubting you just marveling that this happens. Glad you figured it out.

Oh it's possible.... Unfortunately.

do you have a video of this? I'd love to see it happen because I just can't wrap my brain around it.

That is crazy! I'm not doubting you just marveling that this happens. Glad you figured it out.
Yeah @rambler put the idea of it happening in my head a while back, but I never really thought about/understood it. Just never clicked.

As much as I know I shouldn't, I sometimes re-grip just before takeaway. A lot of people do this, even a lot of pro's, however, when I do it I tend to close the face before I begin the takeaway = not good.

I couldn't imagine re-gripping at the top of my swing; wow!

Yeah @rambler put the idea of it happening in my head a while back, but I never really thought about/understood it. Just never clicked.
Yeah, it's been there for as long as we have been playing rounds together. You've been able to work with it for solid scoring, though.

Sorry, I should also add, that it's something which I fought up until a couple of years ago. Only the really detailed look at my overall swing at GolfTEC, was able to illustrate it to me.

I recently caught myself doing the same thing at the top. In my case it was down to my grips being too small for my right hand, causing the re-gripping due to not having a secure feeling during transition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

As far as I know, I do not regrip while in my swing.

That said, I hope you are on my team in Iowa if you are going to shoot that well.

~Rock

I have a buddy who absolutely chokes the life out of a grip. Especially his driver. Very athletic, flexible guy who swings harder than anyone I've every seen on a course. Nearly like the long drive contest guys, its really insane.

A couple of summers ago, he developed a habit of re-gripping just before starting his swing. I think he was trying unconscientiously to lighten his grip but was probably tightening as he swung. He had to be because he would have lost the club he swings so hard (and not ridiculously fast, I think he told me he was in the low 110's at one point).

So he proceeds to hit 5 or 6 straight worm-burning hosel rockets in a row over 3 or 4 holes and has no clue what he's doing wrong. He's not a guy I offer advice to but when he looked up and said "What in the world am I doing?" I told him about the re-grip just as he started the back swing. He tee'd up another ball and kept his hands fixed and blasted one down the middle. He had absolutely no clue what he had been doing...

Yeah, it's been there for as long as we have been playing rounds together. You've been able to work with it for solid scoring, though.

Sorry, I should also add, that it's something which I fought up until a couple of years ago. Only the really detailed look at my overall swing at GolfTEC, was able to illustrate it to me.

So how did you pick this out during his golf swing. Everything happens in a fraction of a second. Very hard to pick up.

Back