One Week Juice Cleanse, and overall weightloss journey

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive frequented the Fitness and Nutrition thread as an outsider who wanted to apply some of the things in the thread to my life but I just dont have the energy.

Ive been overweight for probably half of my 26 years of life. Im 6'3" and 305lbs. Everyone is shocked when I tell them how much I weigh. My doctor tells me genetically I am predisposed to being a larger person and "carry my weight well". As an adult at my thinnest after Atkins I was 220 and I was a rail. Literally skin and bones. So I figure somewhere around 230 would be a great weight for me.

I got to the point this week where I was just fed up with never having energy and suffering from headaches. I decided its time to change my eating habits and lifestyle. I found the documentary "Fat, Sick, and nearly Dead" about an Australian guy who lost around 80lbs drinking nothing but juice made from fresh vegetables and fruit for 2 months. I would like to try this for the same amount of time, but im going to be realistic and start with 1 week.

Im going to use this thread as a diary of sorts and document my progression with my journey for my own benefit and maybe of in hopes of motivating others.

Any questions/suggestions please ask/tell!

Good luck! Ive been looking into juice cleanses as well....workign behind a desk and eating late as a result of work doesn't help at at all...

The movie is basically one long infomercial, but anything you can do to intake more fruits and vegetables is a good thing

First day I spent most of my day cleaning my kitchen and trying to find all the parts to my juicer. I ended up making a juice from a juice recipe book that is 4 carrots and 2 apples. It made approximately 20 ounces of juice. Didnt taste half bad. The worst part about this is probably the work involved... the cleaning of the veggies and fruits, then peeling, then juicing, then cleaning the machine that has 10 parts every time u juice. Oh well im sure I will create a system and figure efficient ways to do this.

Either way my pet rabbits are happy here is a pic of them eating the "mush" I call it. Its the fiber and skins that go into the waste bucket of the juicer

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423171181676.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423171181676.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
Good luck! Ive been looking into juice cleanses as well....workign behind a desk and eating late as a result of work doesn't help at at all...
Its tough I work 12 hr shifts and have to figure out how im going to pull this off on work days. I guess we all have obstacles.

I would speak to a medical professional about what the appropriate weight for you would be with your body type. I would also speak to them about the cleansing. I dont think there is any scientific data to backup the claim that cleanses work and some say that cleansing can actually hurt you.

IMHO, the only method that works are portion control programs like Weight Watchers and exercising 3-6 times a week. This is probably not what you want to hear, but there is no diet or quick fix that will help you.

I wish you luck!

The movie is basically one long infomercial, but anything you can do to intake more fruits and vegetables is a good thing
Uhh yes and no. There is a marketing part to it where the guy clearly received money to show a certain juicer. But the guy is a multimillionaire and did this to genuinely get healthy... not for money

I've seen the movie too...it's motivational for sure. I too tried the juicing and lost 15lbs in 7 days. I couldn't continue because I was mentally hungry. Not moving my jaws to chew on anything drove me crazy. The juices were fine and tasted good.

I would agree with Coach's comments...see your doctor first before doing this for a long period of time. I saw my doctor and told him what I was planning on doing and he gave me the thumbs up.

Good luck with your journey.

I would speak to a medical professional about what the appropriate weight for you would be with your body type. I would also speak to them about the cleansing. I dont think there is any scientific data to backup the claim that cleanses work and some say that cleansing can actually hurt you.

IMHO, the only method that works are portion control programs like Weight Watchers and exercising 3-6 times a week. This is probably not what you want to hear, but there is no diet or quick fix that will help you.

I wish you luck!
My doctor is hyped about my juice cleanse choice. And his only concern was that I make sure I not only drink the fruit juice. The recommendation is a 2:1 vegetable to fruit ratio. My Dr wants me to lose as much as possible and figure out from there where he feels my healthy sustainable weight will be.

I am fully aware that this is just a jump start program and not wise to do for too long of a period of time. After im done the cleanse I will hopefully parlay this into a healthy portion controlled diet consisting of 80% fruits and vegetables 20% everything else.

As per exercise I dont do the gym, its way to boring for me. But I do workout 2 times a week and have done so for quite a while. My workouts are playing pickup basketball every Sunday night for 2hrs, and mens league games every Tuesday. Occasionally we play on Saturdays as well. I move extremely well for someone my size and have no issues running. I just get bored out of my mind doing weight training. I also do T25 as much as possible during my 1hr break at work. So I get my exercise in and that is probably kept me at my weight now. I have been up around 350 a few times. And im sure the way I eat I could easily have been 400+ without my love for basketball.

I've seen the movie too...it's motivational for sure. I too tried the juicing and lost 15lbs in 7 days. I couldn't continue because I was mentally hungry. Not moving my jaws to chew on anything drove me crazy. The juices were fine and tasted good.

I would agree with Coach's comments...see your doctor first before doing this for a long period of time. I saw my doctor and told him what I was planning on doing and he gave me the thumbs up.

Good luck with your journey.
Thanks man, I agree that tye mental hunger will be tough. I will surely be chewing on sugarfree gum like an obnoxious cow for this whole week.

Well one day into it... im exhausted... here is where the mental aspect comes in

Stay strong. It gets easier by day 3. Trust me, I've been there. In fact I wasn't even hungry the first couple of days.

How many calories do you think you are consuming?
Really tough to say. Idk if all the scraps that get thrown in the nin have any nutritional value. I get a majority of the calories from the fruits I juice. If I had to guess id say im consuming less than 800 calories

I've been thinking about doing something like this too.
Why not just blend the fruits and veggies and get the fiber intake?
Is it to try for a complete cleanse of the digestive track?

I've been thinking about doing something like this too.
Why not just blend the fruits and veggies and get the fiber intake?
Is it to try for a complete cleanse of the digestive track?
I thought the exact same thing before I did research. Part of the cleanse is to rid your body of toxins and introduce unusually high amounts of nutrients. When you consume lets say a carrot and apple in a smoothie you are only getting the nutrients from one of each in a 20oz smoothie. But when I make a carrot/apple juice it consists of 4 carrots and 2 apples. I just get alot more nutrients that way without all the fiber filling me up.

A update. Im going to be completely transparent and honest. I fell off the wagon, relapsed, chickened out. Whatever u want to call it. I gave into temptation. Time to get back on the horse. Great thing about publicizing this is that I will be more apt to stick to it so that I do not publicly fail twice. Im going to NC on Thursday for a little vacation and golf so ill hold off on full on juicing until I get back Monday night. Then I will recommit Tuesday morning and go for the full week. Until then I will try to work at least one juice a day.

Questions for anyone whose done this. Did anyone notice that u had a diuretic effect on ur stomach while doing this? Not to be to graphic but ive only had liquid coming out of me for the days I completed the juice cleanse?

Last edited:
I've seen the movie, and just watched the 2nd one last week.

Really enjoyed the first.... not so much the 2nd. Best of luck on the cleanse and journey!

A update. Im going to be completely transparent and honest. I fell off the wagon, relapsed, chickened out. Whatever u want to call it. I gave into temptation. Time to get back on the horse. Great thing about publicizing this is that I will be more apt to stick to it so that I do not publicly fail twice. Im going to NC on Thursday for a little vacation and golf so ill hold off on full on juicing until I get back Monday night. Then I will recommit Tuesday morning and go for the full week. Until then I will try to work at least one juice a day.

Questions for anyone whose done this. Did anyone notice that u had a diuretic effect on ur stomach while doing this? Not to be to graphic but ive only had liquid coming out of me for the days I completed the juice cleanse?

Probably a normal bodily reaction considering that there is virtually no protein in what your consuming. And, the fiber count in your meals is probably off the charts.

Probably a normal bodily reaction considering that there is virtually no protein in what your consuming. And, the fiber count in your meals is probably off the charts.
I guess thats y its called a cleanse cause it sure feels like everything bad is coming out of u

good luck, i wish you all the best. definitely do whatever makes you happy so long as your health professional agrees that it is a good idea (which you confirmed in an earlier post).

i'm 34, 5'10" and at my heaviest weighed 185. at that time, my buddy and i were talking about weight and he thought i weighed 205-210, so i'm the opposite of you: i don't carry weight well! but i also know that i'm not meant to carry around more than 170 lbs. i've done the exercise thing, i've half-a$$ed weight watchers once, i've done medifast, and now i'm in my 6th week of "real" weight watchers.

i lost almost 30 lbs on medifast, but it was miserable and i gained it back in a big hurry. those kinds of programs aren't sustainable. weight watchers is good because it's low-calorie, low-fat, low-sugar, but gives you the ability to splurge every now and then. i don't know if this is scientific, but my experience is that if you "shock" your system by eating abnormally to lose a bunch of weight in a short amount of time, re-gaining the weight is very easy and is likely to happen. you have to adopt a lifestyle change that is sustainable.

good luck!

I've seen the movie and quite liked it. Even went out and bought a juicer to have in the house. We use it here and there and try new things out with our girls. I don't think I could do a month or two month program of only juice! But if you can more power to you and your health!

I actually use a local guys detox program here in Dallas by a guy name George DiGianni who's a local trainer, talk show host (health) and fitness guru. He has a program called 21 Day Body Makeover that is high in vegetables, some fruit and lean proteins along with his detoxing shake in the AM and cleanings pills. He had help from doctors in creating it and they give you council throughout the program on any issues or concerns you have. Not going to try and sell you the program just letting you know I've used it many times which has helped me kick start into eating and drinking right.

Good Luck!

good luck, i wish you all the best. definitely do whatever makes you happy so long as your health professional agrees that it is a good idea (which you confirmed in an earlier post).

i'm 34, 5'10" and at my heaviest weighed 185. at that time, my buddy and i were talking about weight and he thought i weighed 205-210, so i'm the opposite of you: i don't carry weight well! but i also know that i'm not meant to carry around more than 170 lbs. i've done the exercise thing, i've half-a$$ed weight watchers once, i've done medifast, and now i'm in my 6th week of "real" weight watchers.

i lost almost 30 lbs on medifast, but it was miserable and i gained it back in a big hurry. those kinds of programs aren't sustainable. weight watchers is good because it's low-calorie, low-fat, low-sugar, but gives you the ability to splurge every now and then. i don't know if this is scientific, but my experience is that if you "shock" your system by eating abnormally to lose a bunch of weight in a short amount of time, re-gaining the weight is very easy and is likely to happen. you have to adopt a lifestyle change that is sustainable.

good luck!
Thanks! I have done weight watchers be4 and just didn't like how slowly the weight came off. It was like 1 or 2lbs a week. How much have u lost in 6 weeks? Dont u find the point counting tedious?

I've seen the movie and quite liked it. Even went out and bought a juicer to have in the house. We use it here and there and try new things out with our girls. I don't think I could do a month or two month program of only juice! But if you can more power to you and your health!

I actually use a local guys detox program here in Dallas by a guy name George DiGianni who's a local trainer, talk show host (health) and fitness guru. He has a program called 21 Day Body Makeover that is high in vegetables, some fruit and lean proteins along with his detoxing shake in the AM and cleanings pills. He had help from doctors in creating it and they give you council throughout the program on any issues or concerns you have. Not going to try and sell you the program just letting you know I've used it many times which has helped me kick start into eating and drinking right.

Good Luck!
That sounds pretty interesting. Ill deff research it? To be blunt did u have bad diarrhea on it? Thats whats really bothering me with the juicing.

Thanks! I have done weight watchers be4 and just didn't like how slowly the weight came off. It was like 1 or 2lbs a week. How much have u lost in 6 weeks? Dont u find the point counting tedious?

That is a healthy weight loss though. It sucks but by making a lifestyle change you will see lasting results.

Back