Proper golf attire

+1 for the Halen fans!

But I can't ever remember playing golf without dressing for golf.....collard shirt, nice shorts or pants, and decent shoes. Doesn't matter if I'm playing at a CC, or a muni course, I would feel VERY odd playing golf in jeans and a t shirt. That's just me though, I don't really mind seeing people at the muni's dressed in day clothes, but at a nice country club, they would stick out like a sore thumb...

I played at a local semi-private course over the Summer, and as I was walking toward the 1st tee to begin, one of the employees told me to tuck in my shirt! I explained that after one or two swings, that the shirt was going to be "out" again - I'm 6'4" and no matter if I get "tall" shirts or not, my torso is long. It didn't matter to him though, I had to tee off with my shirt tucked in! Oh well, I played 17 holes with my shirt out.

I played at a local semi-private course over the Summer, and as I was walking toward the 1st tee to begin, one of the employees told me to tuck in my shirt! I explained that after one or two swings, that the shirt was going to be "out" again - I'm 6'4" and no matter if I get "tall" shirts or not, my torso is long. It didn't matter to him though, I had to tee off with my shirt tucked in! Oh well, I played 17 holes with my shirt out.

WOW, that seems extreme to me....

I wear dress shorts and a collared shirt (tucked in) when I golf. If it gets cold I have a pair of UA slacks and a couple of jackets though I rarely need to wear slacks here. With a big El Nino forecast this winter I may need to look into a pair of rain pants.

The course I just resigned from had a dress code that included "no denim" and "shirts to be tucked" rules among the list. I have seen them turn away people showing up wearing jeans but totally ignored several members who never tucked in their shirts. I acknowledge the right of any course to set standards of dress for whatever reason. I just think if a course has a dress code it should be enforced equally; they can't enforce some rules while overlooking others. It just creates more confusion.

Personally, if one's clothes are basically clean, not in need of repair (such as the ripped jean fad) and if a tee shirt is not sporting some message or image that some could find offensive I couldn't care less what one wears. Given that golf is my religion I dress appropriately! :)

I see nothing wrong with dress codes. Whether that's a golf course , a restaurant, a wedding, a school, or any social event or gathering both private or public, or just about anywhere people will be for any given situation where a certain behavioral environment and etiquettes are expected and desired. I do understand to some degree (within reason) some of this depends on where one is from.

Imo dress codes have slowly become more and more lax both publicly and privately. I also think society in general has also become more lax in common courtesies, respect and etiquettes over all. Too many nowadays much too often behave like inconsiderate, selfish, disrespectful, morons towards and among each other in general in our daily lives. I don't think its any coincidence that the lax in general dress is not also tied to this lax in behavioral etiquettes and common courtesies.

I always wear proper golf clothes on the course. On the range I'll just go with what ever, but on the course; always a collared shirt (+ layers of more if the weather demands it) and ALWAYS long pants. I don't mind people in shorts, I just can't stand to play golf with shorts.

It's really about setting a standard. When standards are relaxed, things can go to **** in a hurry. Think of it as a uniform.

Has any one been refused at a course because of dressing improperly?

Not me but my brother in law found out the hard way in Indy at Brickyard Crossing that he was not at home in rural Indiana. He had the choice to either lose most of his already paid greens fee, or buy some s new shorts & a shirt on the spot (which he did). It just comes down to where you are at and what the code is at said course.

I see nothing wrong with dress codes. Whether that's a golf course , a restaurant, a wedding, a school, or any social event or gathering both private or public, or just about anywhere people will be for any given situation where a certain behavioral environment and etiquettes are expected and desired. I do understand to some degree (within reason) some of this depends on where one is from.

Imo dress codes have slowly become more and more lax both publicly and privately. I also think society in general has also become more lax in common courtesies, respect and etiquettes over all. Too many nowadays much too often behave like inconsiderate, selfish, disrespectful, morons towards and among each other in general in our daily lives. I don't think its any coincidence that the lax in general dress is not also tied to this lax in behavioral etiquettes and common courtesies.

Society has dumbed down and it began long ago. Wait another 20 years..............

Has any one been refused at a course because of dressing improperly?
My dad was told he couldn't play at a good (but not great) course in PA because he wore jean shorts. Which was funny because right before we went to play, I told him not to wear them and he got irritated and said "it'll be fine".

I may or may not have said "I told you so" a few times hahaha. We ended up playing a different track down the road.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My dad was told he couldn't play at a good (but not great) course in PA because he wore jean shorts. Which was funny because right before we went to play, I told him not to wear them and he got irritated and said "it'll be fine".

I may or may not have said "I told you so" a few times hahaha. We ended up playing a different track down the road.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yea, its ok once in a while for the famous "I told you so" to come from the son instead of the dad. lol but still better off left unsaid.

Society has dumbed down and it began long ago. Wait another 20 years..............

I don't know if "dumbed" is the word, more like simply less and less respect for others around one but I here ya. I am to be 51 soon and if it were not for the fact that I'd be very old or even 6 feet under I always felt I wished I grew up in my parents era. I feel for my kids in many ways having yet to raise a family in the near future. There is imo just so much against them. And just one of those many things imo is the direction that common behavior patterns of society are heading.

Golf shorts or slacks in the winter, collared polo or pullover in the winter. My course is pretty tough on dress code. I have been known to show up in starched jeans, boots & dress shirt after work for dinner though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've spent enough on golf attire at this point you better believe I wear it.

I play a lot of local munis though that don't really have a dress code, and I'm almost always playing with guys with untucked shirts, jeans, whatever. Doesn't bother me a bit--not everyone is blessed with the spare income to play every weekend with nice clubs and nice clothes. I figure less elitism is better for the sport.

I figure less elitism is better for the sport.

I keep reading that word "elitism". I also gotta tell you that some jeans cost WAAAAAY more than a nice pair of Levi Docker slacks I wear. Same with some T-Shirts I see out there. I'm with you on the expensive clubs thing, but a dress code is a dress code. If there is one, there is one. Is it "elitism" to ask people on your property to dress appropriately if you want them to?

Yes, I get the snootiness inherent in some people about golf, but you find that in every sport, and in every walk of life. Have you ever gone to a bowling league match and worn plain clothes? Yeah, they aren't nice about it, either. "Elitism"? Not sure.

I think people should wear whatever they like, dress rules are very old-fashioned IMO and should be abolished across the board, even the pro men should be allowed to wear shorts, it is after all supposed to be a sport no?

That being said I wear golf clothes, because they breathe and stretch better, cotton clothing in the heat looks and smells pretty bad after about an hour.

Basic rule of thumb when I worked at the golf courses was. When booking a tee time, just remind them of the basic dress code, unless they asked. "Don't forget, polo shirts only for the guys, not cutoff shorts and tennis shoes or soft spikes only."

I always wear a "golf" shirt, golf shorts when it's hot, jeans when it's cold and rain gear when it's raining.
If the course does not allow denim, I will of course abide by their rules.

I think people should wear whatever they like, dress rules are very old-fashioned IMO and should be abolished across the board, even the pro men should be allowed to wear shorts, it is after all supposed to be a sport no?

There is a tradition to uphold, no? History of the sport, etc...

There is a tradition to uphold, no? History of the sport, etc...
Definitely, it's a part of golf, and golf lifestyle. You don't always have to dress like a golfer, but when on the course, why not?

However, I do think it's a little absurd that they don't let golfers wear shorts on tour. Nice shorts are, well, nice...Some of those tournaments would be unbearable in pants.

Anybody know why they still enforce this?

I keep reading that word "elitism". I also gotta tell you that some jeans cost WAAAAAY more than a nice pair of Levi Docker slacks I wear. Same with some T-Shirts I see out there. I'm with you on the expensive clubs thing, but a dress code is a dress code. If there is one, there is one. Is it "elitism" to ask people on your property to dress appropriately if you want them to?

Yes, I get the snootiness inherent in some people about golf, but you find that in every sport, and in every walk of life. Have you ever gone to a bowling league match and worn plain clothes? Yeah, they aren't nice about it, either. "Elitism"? Not sure.

Rules are rules.

Is it "elitism" to ask people on your property to dress appropriately if you want them to?
Pretty much. The elitist part comes in when you talk about what's appropriate. Some folks consider it just dressing appropriately, others call it elitism. It's not like you can't play golf in jeans and a T-shirt.

The elitist part comes in when you talk about what's appropriate.

Then every single sport is "elitist". Try showing up to a league baseball game without cleats on. They'll tell you what's appropriate in a heartbeat.

I guess my point is, and not to belabor the point, but there is "elitism" everywhere, yet it seems to me at least that it comes up in Golf more than anywhere else.

Maybe "elite" should be "appropriate".
Yes, any one can wear any type of clothes for any sport, if you come right down to it. Dress code may be enforcing "appropriate" attire (which in and of itself has different definitions, depending on what you think). Play tennis? Wear non-scuff soles on sneakers. Baseball uniform? Sure. Why not golf attire when golfing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back