2015 Mizuno JPX-EZ and Forged Irons

Lol, I don't know if that's what I wanted to hear or not. :drool: Looks like I might be spending more money soon.

Last edited:
I find it a little strange that the most GI forged product in the lineup got lambasted for launching too high for young, strong low-mid handicap testers.

High launch/low CG is one of, if not THE most pertinent attributes of an iron targeted at higher handicappers and those who struggle with consistent launch.

It's like a 60 year old 25 cap unequivocally stating that a blade has a design/CG defect because they are too hard to launch. Duh.

In 3 or 4 years of reading reviews on this site this might be the only iron set I ever recall where the reviewers concluded there was a design flaw like this. Given that they have reviewed many GI sets and have nothing to gain from such a claim, I trust their judgement in reaching their conclusions.

I find it a little strange that the most GI forged product in the lineup got lambasted for launching too high for young, strong low-mid handicap testers.

High launch/low CG is one of, if not THE most pertinent attributes of an iron targeted at higher handicappers and those who struggle with consistent launch.

It's like a 60 year old 25 cap unequivocally stating that a blade has a design/CG defect because they are too hard to launch. Duh.

I strongly suggest taking in the whole review.
High launch good in a set like this. High launch that can cause ballooning in nearly every iron for dozens of players during a test....Not good. Considering the writer's track record and his enjoyment of irons in general, including Mizunos, it seems unlikely anything is amiss.

However nobody likes to hear something negative about a brand they like, yet demand it in a brand they dont. We have learned long ago that the best way to review clubs, is to actually review clubs, by gathering data and having multiple people test. THP does the most informative and advanced reviews on every brand of golf equipment found anywhere and understand they wont be for everybody.

So the best way to fix that is to CHANGE THE GAME. Since some people will always prefer their own style (and thats cool too), enter Club Clash. Then we can look at THEIR feedback the same way. #OutingApproved

They look 1000x better than the old ones!!

2013 version is an amazing set of irons. Toyed with another set but went back to them. Am I fan of the orange? Not really but my iron play is on point. They flat out perform. Cannot wait to try out the new line.

I finally got the chance to try the EZ forged out today. They feel great and look great too. They seem to have a lower flight than the 850's ( non forged)for me. I only tried them with standard shaft and in a net without a simulator. I plan to go back and try both EZ's for a fitting soon against regular 850's. The forged 850's didn't feel right for me.

I custom ordered a combo set of JPX EZ Forged/Non Forged with Steelfiber I80 shafts. Hope to get them in hand within a week. Will report back after a couple of range sessions and rounds.

I look forward to hearing your review with the Steelfibers. I want to try them in the Recoil 95's. Were you able to order them from Mizuno with the steelfibers? I wish the recoil 95's were offered by Mizuno.

I look forward to hearing your review with the Steelfibers. I want to try them in the Recoil 95's. Were you able to order them from Mizuno with the steelfibers? I wish the recoil 95's were offered by Mizuno.

I got them through "The Golf Mechanic" on EBay . He's a custom builder out of Florida who's an authorized Mizuno and Aerotech dealer.

Great, too bad Mizuno won't offer it or the Recoil shafts. I am curious about the Fujikura Orochi Tour Spec shafts.

Anymore people have tried or bought the EZ Forged.... I'm interested in something along this line. Anything that lets me score better by being easier to hit that I can look at is good to me.....

-David

Anymore people have tried or bought the EZ Forged.... I'm interested in something along this line. Anything that lets me score better by being easier to hit that I can look at is good to me.....

-David
THP should have more on these soon, I believe sets are coming for review.

THP should have more on these soon, I believe sets are coming for review.

VERY NICE to hear and am headed to the golf store to take a look and hope they have a set in LH...

Let US know if you need poor test subjects to hit these... I will have to suck it up and hit them... :bananadance:

-David

The last versions were flawed in a pretty significant way IMO where it pertains to the CG in them, something was seriously amiss with those irons which was a shame.

I'm willing to bet THP will have plenty of info on the new versions soon enough, we typically get them all in hand for a formal review.
Wow really?? I've heard nothing but great reviews for the cast version of the EZ line. Was it a personal thing you have against Mizuno J dawg?? SMH

Wow really?? I've heard nothing but great reviews for the cast version of the EZ line. Was it a personal thing you have against Mizuno J dawg?? SMH
The issues with the last version of the EZ Forged were pretty widely discussed, I even pulled the shafts from the set I reviewed and went with something g lower launching to try and see if it was a fit thing, it wasn't and the same was seen by many. The launch angles were abnormally high throughout the set, something that we have heard has been addressed here in the 2015/2016 model of the EZ's.

I can also guarantee you there is nothing that I "have against" any company and honestly your insinuating such and calling my integrity into question is not something I take lightly. We review EVERYTHING here, there are no biases with our staff when it comes to reviewing fairly, honestly, and more in depth than anyone else out there. We care about the performance, not the name on the club.

Thanks for posting Pure Dawg.

Whoa ease up bud. No need to bite my head off. I love the reviews on THP. I was simply surprised by the negative and "flawed" remark is all. God bless and have a grsat day.

Whoa ease up bud. No need to bite my head off. I love the reviews on THP. I was simply surprised by the negative and "flawed" remark is all. God bless and have a grsat day.

You'll have to understand how it is construed when first it is implied about having a personal issue with a company and then followed up by a "shake my head" comment at the end.

We have no issues calling it like it is, good, bad, or indifferent. With the EZ forged as well as the MP54's our time spent with the heads showed truly abnormal launch characteristics in the range of 3+ degrees, to the point diminishing returns were seen when combined with the spin characteristics of the heads. With the EZ forged this resulted in a pretty significant distance drop off, which was not remedied even by moving to lower launching and spinning setups (DG and C-Taper in my case). When something tests as flawed, we will call it as such, and as mentioned from all indications this has been remedied with the newest iteration of the EZ irons, THP should have those in hand soon I believe to put that notion to the test. The sets have got great potential in filling needs/voids in Mizuno's line, and they always produce solid irons, but the 2013 releases we are discussing were a miss for them in a pretty significant way.

Speak the truth or NOT AT ALL.... JMAN- you have the right avatar!

I agree with you and have no quarrels with the assessment then, AS LONG AS, it's the truth. I have NO reliance on any clubmaker and I play whatever is best for ME.

I hope they learned from the latest version with the new iteration being better. I just like the comparison of some saying an AP 1.5 etc.... my only concern is whether the finish hides the offset a little. By all means offset doesn't bother me as I've played CALLY irons for most of my career.

-David

I have these irons on a short list of ones to try. Jman saved me so much money by doing that review on the previous version. Keep up the good work and cant wait to see these come through for a review by THP.

Wow it seems in the larger cast version of the new 2016 JPX EZ set they are designed very similar to my MD Icons and Pings G Max. They are all 3 soo very similar it's scary. Cool thing is they're crazy long and high without sacrificing feel.

I'm on a business trip in Orange County CA and had a few hours to kill so I visited the PGA Superstore in Irvine.

i went to a stall where they had a Mizuno fitting cart and proceeded to test various shafts with the Forged and MP 25 heads.

The MP 25 and EZ Forged felt great. For my swing, the Nippon 1150 and XP105 shafts worked well with both heads. The Forged had a very high launch but the longest distance.

The average for the Forged 6 iron was 163 yards carry. For the MP 25, the average was 159.

I liked the feel, forgiveness and distance of the Forged. I think these irons deserve a proper fitting next spring.

Looks like both the EZ and EZ Forged will be in hands soon for review. Very curious to see if, I hope, the proper refinements have been made to the line, as I really do believe it has a place within their lineup of offerings in terms of skill-gamuts.

Looks like both the EZ and EZ Forged will be in hands soon for review. Very curious to see if, I hope, the proper refinements have been made to the line, as I really do believe it has a place within their lineup of offerings in terms of skill-gamuts.

Looking forward to it. Just caught up on some tech info on the EX line. Very promising, now let's see if it holds up.

Should be a great review. I think these could be a great set for a lot of people. Even with the extreme launch I had with the previous version they were a fun club to hit. I hope they made some tweets to improve the line.

Back