Go4it

No layin' up!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been working on a POP stroke with my putting...similar to Sneds.

Short putts seem to be a piece of cake when you are firing the ball at the hole with some pace.
If I miss I have the same or a little less on the way back..but it seems I am missing less..there is just much less break to worry about.

It was much more popular back in the day when the greens were much slower...but I am really excited about how easy it has made the short ones.

Has anyone gone to the POP stroke, have any experience with it or an opinion?

Any thoughts on what putter style would work best?

I am using a Mallet and I think the stable face is making it easier...I know Sneds uses a Mallet.

It's not for me, I'm not a fan of getting the small muscles and parts involved in the putting stroke. In my experience it requires a ton more practice because there are more moving parts and beyond that repeating those things identically so as not to create more variables is too much for me.

I hope it works for you though. That's all that matters in the end.

Check out Billy Casper putting stroke. I used to do that for a while. I followed Harvey Pennick's advice on putting strokes back stroke and forward at the same distance. In the case of short strokes it's just the same.

I have used it.

It was awful. Distance control and adapting to different greens was difficult. Gave up on it after a few months.

My buddy noted that I seem to adjust to more of a pop stroke on slower greens. I didn't notice. He said that I don't use more hands, just a shorter and quicker backswing, shorter and quicker through the ball.

I putt much better on slow greens, zero fear, although I prefer the true roll of fast. I may have to consciously incorporate more pop when playing fast greens, see how it goes. Theory being, maybe the stroke on slow greens is actually my natural stroke and the one on faster greens, the adjustment.

As long as the stroke you use is matched up to your putter to get the ball rolling smoothly as quickly as possible then go with it. I have been struggling a tiny bit hitting down a degree or 2 too much and the ball bounces at first losing the end over end roll and not tracking over the line on the ball.

Oh then after all that you just need to figure out the perfect speed for the line on an imperfect surface added to foot draggers leaving marks you can't fix till after you miss

My buddy noted that I seem to adjust to more of a pop stroke on slower greens. I didn't notice. He said that I don't use more hands, just a shorter and quicker backswing, shorter and quicker through the ball.

I putt much better on slow greens, zero fear, although I prefer the true roll of fast. I may have to consciously incorporate more pop when playing fast greens, see how it goes. Theory being, maybe the stroke on slow greens is actually my natural stroke and the one on faster greens, the adjustment.

I think I am going to settle in on the POP stroke for puts 6 ft and in...I find that my brain looks at the hole and does a good job at popping it right in the hole. My problem on shorter puts in the past has been leaving it short or having the pace so slow it takes a ton of break and misses on the low side.

With the POP stroke I play less break and send it to the back of the cup. When I do miss, the miss is a little longer, but I am very confident coming back.

Longer lag putts seem to be more challenging.

As long as the stroke you use is matched up to your putter to get the ball rolling smoothly as quickly as possible then go with it. I have been struggling a tiny bit hitting down a degree or 2 too much and the ball bounces at first losing the end over end roll and not tracking over the line on the ball.

Oh then after all that you just need to figure out the perfect speed for the line on an imperfect surface added to foot draggers leaving marks you can't fix till after you miss

I can't wait until we can fix spike marks...had one in a tournament last weekend, it was like a wall of sod in front of the hole...

I never had any luck with it. Short putts on slow greens were pretty good, when I got a longer putt it was anybody's guess how long or short it would end up. Putting on different speed greens was a big adjustment also and it usually took the better part of 9 holes to adjust. Sneds is probably the best in the world at it right now with this putting style and he makes it look easy, for me it was not easy.

Back