TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

If you decide to change the weights later on, this info may be of some help: The heaviest of my (2) Retail 430 heads, with the stock 16-gram silver weight beneath the blue slider, a loose shaft adapter attached, and (2) of the 2-gram rubber tungsten weights installed was weighed on a calibrated gram scale and the weight was a very hefty 212 grams. (According to the online calculator that's a E-3 swingweight with the stock 430 TP shaft and grip). That is the reason why I chose to go with the lighter 8-gram silver replacement weight rather than either the 10-gram or 12-gram replacement weights. Bringing the clubhead weight down to 204 grams made it a D-8 swingweight which is more manageable for my swing.

If you don't have a gram scale handy to weigh your own 430 clubhead, just use 212 grams in the swingweight calculator since yours must be very close to that.

As mentioned earlier, swingweight is often a matter of personal preference, so whatever "feels" best to you, will likely perform best too. You'll know soon enough if its too heavy.
It's amazing how significant a difference 8 grams came make in golf and our swings.

As you have proved to me anyway. 2 grams strategically placed can be night and day. I'm I'm awe.

Thanks

Curious as to why you say the 430 head is lighter in weight than the 460 head...have you weighed both on a gram scale to determine the difference in weight? I know the stock TP shaft in the 460 is 67-grams, vs 77-grams for the 430 TP shaft. I believe the stock length of both TP shafts is 45.25". I would expect the 460 to feel heavy with a heavier shaft installed than the 67 gram TP stock shaft.

A 12-gram replacement weight being 4-grams less than the 16-gram stock weight would simply offset the 4-grams of tungsten weight you just added. To get the swingweight where I wanted it, I chose an 8-gram silver weight. I felt my SLDR 430's swingweight was on the heavy side even before I added the (2) tungsten weights to get rid of the low hook problem.

Again, it is best to let the swingweight calculator guide you once you know the clubhead weight. Remember...the shaft adapter weight must be part of the clubhead weight.
I have the 77 grams shaft and a 45.5 inch length.

Not sure how much the grips and adapter weight.

My best guess came out to an E-5. But I'm sure that's incorrect.

I was fitted for the 460 with the 77 versus the 67 gram shaft. It narrowed down my dispersion and improved my smash factor.

I then picked up a 430 head from a THP'ER. I was curious to see if there was anything to gain between the 460 and the 430 sldr. Since I really loved the feel of the shaft I didn't bother going for another fitting.

It immediately felt better for me. I was hitting longer. My swing speed increased about 3 mph and I could work the ball in both better than the 460.

I later took a trackman lesson and confirmed that I was indeed hitting the 430 with a faster swing speed and longer. The dispersion was equivalent between the two heads so I became a 430 believer.

But like others when you got into a funk with that sldr driver you would develope the hooks which would punish even a scratch golfer.

So for what it worth. When ever I practice switching head back to back. With the Same shaft and grips, the 460 just feels heavier. But I honestly never weighted them to compare. I assumed the 430 must have been lighter since I could swing it fast.

But maybe the increased club head speed unconsciously gave me the impression of a lighter club.

But maybe the difference has nothing to do with swing weight and more to do with club design and aerodynamics.

D-7 to E-0

Club head without or with 4 grams of tungsten.

Club head 212g
Grips 78g
Shaft 77g
Length 45.5
Raw 46

I go plus one inch on my clubs because of my height. 6'2"

D-7 to E-0

Club head without or with 4 grams of tungsten.

Club head 212g
Grips 78g
Shaft 77g
Length 45.5
Raw 46

I go plus one inch on my clubs because of my height. 6'2"

Johan...

What kind of grip are you using that weighs 78 grams? The only grips I know of that are that heavy are those designed for counterbalance like the Secret Grip . The stock TM 360 grip for the SLDR weighs 54 grams and most grips are lighter than that one. If you actually do have a grip that heavy (78 grams) it would LOWER your swingwight significantly compared to the stock grip. The extra 1/4" of shaft length over the stock length is adding 1.5 swingweights.

However, Are you absolutely certain that you are using a grip that weighs 78-grams? If so, the swingweight calculation is an E-0 based on the numbers you provided above. With the SLDR 54-gram stock grip, it would have been an E-5 swingweight

Last edited:
Lamkin wrap tech oversized. Per web site specs ???

Lamkin wrap tech oversized. Per web site specs ???

You were very wise to use the heavy 78-gram Wrap Tech Oversized Grip...It brings the swingweight down by 5-points.

Johan...

What kind of grip are you using that weighs 78 grams? The only grips I know of that are that heavy are those designed for counterbalance like the Secret Grip . The stock TM 360 grip for the SLDR weighs 54 grams and most grips are lighter than that one. If you actually do have a grip that heavy (78 grams) it would LOWER your swingwight significantly compared to the stock grip. The extra 1/4" of shaft length over the stock length is adding 1.5 swingweights.

However, Are you absolutely certain that you are using a grip that weighs 78-grams? If so, the swingweight calculation is an E-0 based on the numbers you provided above. With the SLDR 54-gram stock grip, it would have been an E-5 swingweight
Yes per the lamkin specs for my oversized wrap tech grips weight is 78g.

I play with bear claws. Lol

But the E-0 is with the 4G tungsten and the D-7 is without. If I'm not mistaken. But either way if it feels right and suites me. So be it.

If not. Back to the tinker Dome and decreasing the sliver plate we go.

But thanks. THP'ERS rule. Best golf information without marketing bias.

Your recommendation feels great on the range and was definitely a major improvement over the baseline SLDR setup.

Only need to actually try it during a round to be completely convinced.

BTW. How on earth did you come up with that amazing solution. Most mods are way too complicated or expensive to be worth the bother. But for $1.00 per club of tungsten and a clean sophisticated placement, we have a brand new club in the bag.

So D-5,6,8, or 9. E-1,4,6 or whatever if it gets the ball rolling towards the bottom of the hole.

I'm all in.

Thanks again. Only wish ups had deliveries prior to my 6 am tee times this morning. Lol

For those having problems with their SLDR drivers. Go take a few test rips on a X2 hot pro. I have gotten the same results with this head and the same shaft as my SLDR but no duck hooks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Well after a daybreak 18 holes this morning. I can happily report the Bobcat SLDR Mod works. No hooks. In fact it may actually give the club a slight Fade Bias.

Tomorrow will go and play with the 460 head and compare the 430 460 and the R15 back to back.

In fairness with the increased weight I did see a slight decrease in driving distance. But as we are all aware 250 in the middle of the fairway is better than 300 out of bounds.

The pic below shows an example of a SLDR weight kit on ebay. Kit includes 7-8-grams of silver weight, new blue slider and screw, plus a new weight cover plate complete with the 3M 2-sided tape needed to re-install the cover plate.(This kit is available from multiple ebay sellers).

This is everything you need to change out the silver weight. Replacing the 16-gram silver weight using this kit will make your SLDR Driver 4-swingweights lighter for increased swing speed.

Note: You can obtain detailed and illustrated instructions for changing SLDR silver weights at www.billybobsgolf.com. (That site also sells SLDR replacement weights ranging from 2 - 12-grams). Just search the site for SLDR weights and then click on "instructions" at the bottom of the page. (It is a printable .pdf file).

Attachments

• $_26.jpg
    $_26.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't like to tinker too much with an adjustable driver. Having said that I recently, and for the first time, moved my SLDRs weight two clicks towards fade.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The pic below shows an example of a SLDR weight kit on ebay. Kit includes 7-8-grams of silver weight, new blue slider and screw, plus a new weight cover plate complete with the 3M 2-sided tape needed to re-install the cover plate.(This kit is available from multiple ebay sellers).

This is everything you need to change out the silver weight. Replacing the 16-gram silver weight using this kit will make your SLDR Driver 4-swingweights lighter for increased swing speed.

Note: You can obtain detailed and illustrated instructions for changing SLDR silver weights at www.billybobsgolf.com. (That site also sells SLDR replacement weights ranging from 2 - 12-grams). Just search the site for SLDR weights and then click on "instructions" at the bottom of the page. (It is a printable .pdf file).
So my driver is at E-0 now. Which would lower my swing weight back to D-7. Which is where it was prior to the Mod.

But either way. Thanks for your help. The Mod really fixed this SLDR defect.

I do happen to have a couple lower weight SLDR weights from when I was planning to tinker with it. I have no use for them now as I no longer have the SLDR head. I just moved recently but if I can find them you can have them.

So my driver is at E-0 now. Which would lower my swing weight back to D-7. Which is where it was prior to the Mod.

But either way. Thanks for your help. The Mod really fixed this SLDR defect.

The mod raised your swingweight by 2-points. (Each rubber tungsten weight = 1-swingweight point). Replacing the 16-gram weight with an 7-8 gram weight would lower swingweight by 4-points. (You would be reducing head weight by 8-grams and each 2-grams of clubhead weight = 1-swingweight point). So yes, an E-0 would become a D-7 and that should make for a very noticeable difference when swinging your SLDR.

Last edited:
I do happen to have a couple lower weight SLDR weights from when I was planning to tinker with it. I have no use for them now as I no longer have the SLDR head. I just moved recently but if I can find them you can have them.
Okay thanks

SLDR 460. Vs. SLDR 430. Vs. R15 430.

Wondering which will be the winner in the morning shot out.

My money is on the 460.

I'm not having any trouble with my SLDR 460 at the moment, I've been hitting it on target, high and deep. I ordered an additional 4 and 10 gram weights to give them a try and see if I can make it better.

Well the results are in. Of course these are my results with my swing.

Swing speed via SC-100.

SLDR 460 100 - 105

SLDR 430 108 - 113

R15 430 110-117

DISTANCE

Loft set for best results

SLDR 460 MOD 9.5* 250-270

SLDR 430 MOD 10.5* 260 275

R15 430 10.5 260 - 290

SLDR set two clicks towards fade on SLDR with Bobcat Mod

R15 one weight full draw, one weight two clicks towards fade from neutral. Over the red marker

All settings for best swing speed, ball flight, trajectory, and dispersion.

Really felt the swingweight was a handicap on the 460. Not on the 430.

R15 needed no further adjustment. The split weight system resolves the SLDR issues.

The Bobcat SLDR Mod makes the SLDR a point and shot driver with the best of the 2015 driver offerings. Didn't hit a single hook even when I tried.

Also took the slice and made it a gentle fade.

The 430 is a more workable head. No surprise.

Lowering the 16 gram weight seems to be a no brainer. But have tried it out yet.

Anyone with a SLDR or thinking about a cheap club to add to your set. Get the Bobcat SLDR Mod.

You'll be very pleased.

Does your monitor measure club head speed or does it guess based on ball speed? 100-117 is a pretty big variation. Though I could see one club being a standard weight and another being really heavy making some difference.

Looks like if you could loft up the 460 you would get more distance.

17 mph swing speed differences? Whoa...Something is off I have a feeling with the unit measuring. I believe that unit calculates based on ball speed, so what you might be seeing is some of those are showing some pretty big drops in ball speed based off contact.

Does your monitor measure club head speed or does it guess based on ball speed? 100-117 is a pretty big variation. Though I could see one club being a standard weight and another being really heavy making some difference.
It felt like with the E-0 swing weight the club was being pulled through molasses.

By changing it to D-6 with a switch of the slider plate it should be the same.

Looks like if you could loft up the 460 you would get more distance.

I thought so but I tried lofts from 9* -11*

But the 9.5 produced the longest carry and roll out.

After 10* my ball flight seemed to balloon with the 460. But the ball flight was the same for 430 10.5* and 460 9.5 *

I reported the best results for each head. The setup changes were to maximize my results with my swing on the range.

Everyone swings different. I'm not a scratch player. But maybe other 10+ handicappers can benefit from my experience.

Back