Faldo Preset Drill

dthrog00

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone use the Faldo preset drill?

Any thoughts or comments on it? I'm going to try it tomorrow.

[video=youtube;kKHCGNT-hPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKHCGNT-hPw[/video]

Dave

Great drill. The hardest part though is taking that drill from the preset to the actual swing. The first few feet back make the entire difference.

Great drill. The hardest part though is taking that drill from the preset to the actual swing. The first few feet back make the entire difference.

Dumb question, but apart from looking strange for golfers who struggle what would be the disadvantage of taking this to the course if it works well?

Dave

Dumb question, but apart from looking strange for golfers who struggle what would be the disadvantage of taking this to the course if it works well?

Dave

There is zero momentum in this drill. It's designed to build muscle memory. Great drill but really for range to get a feel for the positions. Faldo was a technical golfer and didn't hit it far but very straight. This drill will help with that.

My first instructor was big on Faldo and had me doing this drill every practice session. It got to the point where I could probably have played decent golf swinging with the drill. Blending it into my actual swing was a struggle (probably due to the lack of momentum mentioned by Tadashi) but once I did I played some consistent albeit unspectacular golf. I still use it from time to time just to see if I still got it. To this day I have an early wrist set thanks to "Old Bob", Faldo and this drill.

Thanks guys, good feedback. I will try it out.

I was looking around last night and found that Ryan Moore used a similar setup a few years ago due a wrist injury he had and Ian Poulter uses it on the range. The idea is attractive because it gets you to a great position at the top of the backswing, which is something I think amateurs struggle with and causes compensations/inconsistency on the downswing.

Dave

Thanks guys, good feedback. I will try it out.

I was looking around last night and found that Ryan Moore used a similar setup a few years ago due a wrist injury he had and Ian Poulter uses it on the range. The idea is attractive because it gets you to a great position at the top of the backswing, which is something I think amateurs struggle with and causes compensations/inconsistency on the downswing.

Dave

Can I ask why you're so focused on the top of the backswing? What is it that makes you think it's important?

Doesn't DJ actually preset like this somewhat with his actual swing?

96e897f13d1406edbeda4864d2c0a19e.jpg

Doesn't DJ actually preset like this somewhat with his actual swing?

96e897f13d1406edbeda4864d2c0a19e.jpg

Yes and no. A preset would be the drill. Butch has DJ swinging into the 'pre-set'. The idea of the drill is that in an actual wing the body will get into proper position. But DJs top position is far from solid. But it is solid for his swing.

Can I ask why you're so focused on the top of the backswing? What is it that makes you think it's important?

I've started keeping a handicap this year starting May 1st and so far through 15 rounds played I'm a 17.8 index. I typically play courses that around 5,800-6,100 yards that are rated about 68/116 so they are pretty easy courses. I have short irons or wedges in on most par 4s and have a GIR % of 30.3.

I think big keys to improvement for me are GIR %, reduced putts, and improved chipping.

I suspect there are 2 reasons why my GIR is lower: #1 I have positive AoA with irons, #2 I have a lot of variation of club head position at the top of my back swing that I end up compensating for causing L/R dispersion. I don't seriously think I'd take the Faldo drill to the course, but it DOES appear to be something that allows more consistency.

I'm working on making sure my left shoulder finishes where I start or ahead to fix the AoA issue.

Most of all I play for fun, but it's nice to play better too...

Dave

I've started keeping a handicap this year starting May 1st and so far through 15 rounds played I'm a 17.8 index. I typically play courses that around 5,800-6,100 yards that are rated about 68/116 so they are pretty easy courses. I have short irons or wedges in on most par 4s and have a GIR % of 30.3.

I think big keys to improvement for me are GIR %, reduced putts, and improved chipping.

I suspect there are 2 reasons why my GIR is lower: #1 I have positive AoA with irons, #2 I have a lot of variation of club head position at the top of my back swing that I end up compensating for causing L/R dispersion. I don't seriously think I'd take the Faldo drill to the course, but it DOES appear to be something that allows more consistency.

I'm working on making sure my left shoulder finishes where I start or ahead to fix the AoA issue.

Most of all I play for fun, but it's nice to play better too...

Dave

How often do you practice and have you had lessons?

How often do you practice and have you had lessons?

I go to the range and practice green periodically. I hit whiffles in the back yard fairly often. I have not taken lessons.

Typically if i'm paying I'd rather play. The courses I play are typically $12-$15 for 9 holes, so pretty cheap.

Recent Trackman showing my flaws:

36418054643_7ab5e88270_c.jpg

37089586371_fe9ac3a606_c.jpg

Thanks
Dave

Back