Hit Into the Group In Front???

Done it a couple times, not on purpose one was over a huge crest which was not viewable from the tee box. Came close to a fellow THPer I felt so sad, still do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When 2 2some or 3 some is holding up a 5some and 5 some behind them. Your getting hit into everytime

635535880936820585.jpg

I accidentally did this the last time I played. I didn't think I had any chance of reaching the green with my 3 wood and the ball landed what looked to me to be 40 yards short but it just rolled and rolled onto the green. At least nobody was in danger had it hit any of them it would have been like putting into someone's foot.

we will hit up behind them not into them. clarify sorry. Every course has marshalls that NEVER say anything to anybody about anything, we usually have 20-25 guys in our group, we can play in 4 hours or less. If your a 2 some and holding up the train, you need to step aside about every hole or so and let the groups behind you play thru. Yes we have some bombers that can drive some par 4's and most par 5's in 2, the guy in front of us that taking his time over his quadrouple bogey 5th putt will steam even the most patient golfer.Not trying to be a a-hole, but some golfers are oblivious to their surroundings, and or just don't know proper golf etiquette. Don't mean to start a sh!3t storm here. I love golf and play about 120 times a year, some guys in my group play 300 times a year, want to get out get it in and get home. Don't want a marathon because of Hack Whiffer can't take a second to look behind him to see 2 groups waiting on his group.

When 2 2some or 3 some is holding up a 5some and 5 some behind them. Your getting hit into everytime

...I don't even know what to say to this. But for the sake of everyone, please absolutely do not do this. You could injure someone. Not really sure that's an appropriate reaction for playing slow golf.

I really only remember one time, shorter par 4, I topped a 3W going about 60 yards. Still had 260 left and hit the 3W again, and it must have rolled at least 30 yds because it got on the green.

None of my 4some noticed that it made it that far, but when we did I apologized profusely. The group I hit into laughed, and said that is a great drive!

I did not correct them that it was my 2nd shot....

Several times in my younger days usually on a dogleg or a hilly hole where the group in front is hidden in a dip in the fairway. It's never happened since I got my first laser rangefinder in about 1995.

I have done this a few times. It is typically on a dog leg where I go over the trees or around the corner. It usually happens when the group goes around the corner, but only just. I usually like to keep someone in sight of the tee box to let the guys behind me know we are still there, but not everyone does this.

we will hit up behind them not into them. clarify sorry. Every course has marshalls that NEVER say anything to anybody about anything, we usually have 20-25 guys in our group, we can play in 4 hours or less. If your a 2 some and holding up the train, you need to step aside about every hole or so and let the groups behind you play thru. Yes we have some bombers that can drive some par 4's and most par 5's in 2, the guy in front of us that taking his time over his quadrouple bogey 5th putt will steam even the most patient golfer.Not trying to be a a-hole, but some golfers are oblivious to their surroundings, and or just don't know proper golf etiquette. Don't mean to start a sh!3t storm here. I love golf and play about 120 times a year, some guys in my group play 300 times a year, want to get out get it in and get home. Don't want a marathon because of Hack Whiffer can't take a second to look behind him to see 2 groups waiting on his group.

Um.....wow. I'll just say this, you might try simply calling the pro shop and asking them to send someone out to check on why there seems to be a slow down.

I have done this a few times. It is typically on a dog leg where I go over the trees or around the corner. It usually happens when the group goes around the corner, but only just. I usually like to keep someone in sight of the tee box to let the guys behind me know we are still there, but not everyone does this.

I haven't done it, but this is more down to a bit of good luck with blind tee shots like those - again, we like to make sure someone in the group can see the tee, or leave a trolley in the fairway to let those on the tee know, until everyone is out of any trouble they might be in

have done it but not on purpose. One time we didn't see anyone on the hole and i hit my drive to about 10 yds short of where the group in front of us were.

the second time i got lucky with a shot and it went further than expected plus got some extra roll of hard ground and the ball rolled up to the green where the group in front was.

If I ever have it was on a blind shot, but I really don't think it's ever happened. especially if I'm in a cart, I move up to where I can see and wait to make sure the group ahead is far enough ahead before I take my cart back to hit. I usually allow a decent amount of room past where my absolute max would be just to make sure as well. If there are shorter hitters in my group then we just let them go first which usually spaces it out fine for the ones who then can potentially hit that far.

I've been hit into a couple times if the group ahead is slowing us down. I feel like I can gauge decently well if it was intentional or not, and I really don't think many were. If someone has a great drive they have a great drive, no need to get mad if a ball lands 15 yards behind me if I'm 300+ out from them. Good on ya. Just say something, even if it's not an apology a simple "oh wow, I caught that one" and I'll probably join in and say good shot.

have several times, like I said the marshalls and the pro shop dont want to "step on any toes" never say anything

I've done it twice, and by accident both times. One was when I was new to the game and had no idea how to hit a ball. Took a 5W to cover some distance in which I felt I was safe distance wise, wound up crushing it and hit into the group ahead of me.
The second time I was at a par 3 course and all I was doing it pitch shots instead of actually playing. Bladed one pitch shot and it rocketed towards the green and rolled off the other end as a couple was putting out. I apologized and the couple that I hit into complimented my hit even though it was the opposite of what I intended.

have several times, like I said the marshalls and the pro shop dont want to "step on any toes" never say anything

So this somehow qualifies you to take matters into your own hands? Nice attitude. It's silliness like this that leads to needless confrontations on the course. Yeah it sucks to be stuck behind a slow group. But if you truly have done the right thing in calling the course and they don't address it, then you need to put on your big boy pants and suck it up for the day and deal with it. Inflaming the situation like you claim to do servers nobody well at all.

I understand the Marshalls don't want to do anything, but why risk a personal injury suit when you could just as easily ride up to the guys ahead and ask them to speed it up.

Personally, I think people who deliberately hit into the group in front should be made to stand on a driving range and let everyone hit balls at them so they know what it feels like

I have been hit into a couple of times, mostly accidental for one reason or another, but the worst one was when I was playing a par 4 of around 350yds with water short of the green so you hit your tee shot around 230yds then play your second to the green. The complete hole was visible from the tee as it was straight so there is no excuse that you couldn't see anyone and some idiots on the tee behind could see our group on the fairway waiting to play our approach shots and the group in front on the green finishing putting (the group in front of them were just leaving the next tee) but still decided to hit their tee shots into our group. No shouts so the first we heard was when a ball landed about 5 yards behind one of the other guys bag so he turned round and lifted his arms in the air as if to say 'what do you think you are doing', the guy on the tee gave one of his group a high-five and pointed so our guy picked up the ball, asked if any of us wanted the ball and when we said no, he chucked it in the water as we walked to the green. Coincidently, we were never hit into again for the rest of the round - and it wasn't a slow round as we walked the 18 (we were a 4-ball) in just over 3 hours

Have only hit into a group in front of me once. Thought I gave them plenty of time to clear (somewhat blind shot around a corner), but it wasn't enough. Didn't hit anyone, but I apologized profusely. They didn't appear angry about it, but that might have been because of my initial apologies.

Now? I might be a little more conservative than most when a group is in front.

I've done it more than I care to admit, never on purpose. It's an awful feeling. I've been hit into about as many times.

I have to admit that i did this last year by mistake. I was in a fairway bunker 210 out picked it clean with a 5 iron and hit on to the green 12 ft to the cup while the group in front of me was putting i felt horrible yet amazed that i had picked it clean like that it was a one in a million shot. As i was walking up the fairway the marshal came up and told me "not to shoot in to the group ahead and to leave my A game at home if i was going to be making shots like that with a group in front of me" after that i was a bit rattled so at the turn i went up and apologized to them about that shot and they all said to me that it was alright that they thought it was an amazing shot from. where i was

I have to assume, and hope very much that I'm right, that this is a bit of trolling and in no way serious! Regardles of slow play, regardless of being held up, you absolutely and catagorically never ever hit a golf ball towards someone when there is any chance at all it could hit them. Is utter madness, dangerous, and about as inconsiderate as it's possible to be on a golf course. I just hope that you never actually hit anyone, or failing that, just hope that someone larger than you and with a hair trigger doesn't take offence at getting hit at.....

Over the last 30 years of golf, I have hit into a group a few times.
But, it was always because I couldn't see them due to trees, elevation changes or....
I also made it a point to apologize in person if at all possible before the end of the round.

I like to think of myself as being very courteous, but as I mentioned in an earlier thread, I made the mistake of hitting into the group in front of me (new clubs, and my new 5 iron carried almost 50 yards further than my total distance with my old 5-iron).

It was a stupid, and potentially dangerous mistake.

I think if you golf long enough, you are bound to have someone hit into you...but how many of you have hit into the group in front of you by accident?

WOW! 50 yard gain. I'll take a set..........

I've played since 1973 and have never been close to anyone else. You wait.

I have to assume, and hope very much that I'm right, that this is a bit of trolling and in no way serious! Regardles of slow play, regardless of being held up, you absolutely and catagorically never ever hit a golf ball towards someone when there is any chance at all it could hit them. Is utter madness, dangerous, and about as inconsiderate as it's possible to be on a golf course. I just hope that you never actually hit anyone, or failing that, just hope that someone larger than you and with a hair trigger doesn't take offence at getting hit at.....
If not, those things have a way of correcting themselves. Eventually that big guy with the hair trigger shows up.

I've done it by accident a couple of times; when it has happened, I have dropped everything and rushed to apologize.

My "accidents" were much as you've described (i.e. hitting your 5-iron 50-yards longer than normal). One time I took my driver out onto the fairway for a 2nd shot into a par-5, only to realize my ball had missed the fairway and was lying in very heavy rough. I only had the driver, so I gripped down to the shaft and took a little punch swing, hoping to move the ball ahead about 150 yards. It shot out of there like it was on a tee, and landed right on the green 245 yards away! It was crazy.

Another time, I was in Abilene playing a course for the first time. I had 240 to the green from the middle of the fairway, with a lot of wind in my face. I took a 2-iron and tried to 3/4-swing one about 190. Somehow the shot took off and went over the heads of the guys on the green! I was dumbstruck...

On both occasions I ran ahead immediately to apologize. They were rightfully angry, but I was very sincere in my apology. I would never hit a shot that I thought had any chance of getting close to the group ahead of me. These were just 2 fluke shots that baffle me to this day...

Back