The Car Shopping Thread

Drove by a 2015 Chevrolet Colorado on the way home tonight. SO...MUCH...WANT.

I've started doing research in earnest now on a potential new car for later this year. It's been 9 years since I bought my current car (2004 Saturn Ion 1 with power nothing) and this is potentially my first ever brand new car if I go in that direction. The good news for me is that there's so much info online (including this thread) but the bad news is trying to figure out what I want. I'd like to go small SUV like an Escape or CX-5 as I mentioned earlier, but I do a lot of highway driving and the aspect of better gas mileage on a hatchback or wagon-type is appealing. A big concern for me is rear legroom with 2 kids, as it is my 14 yr old barely has any room in the backseat when we're all in the car.

And we all know, sometimes the best part of car buying is all the research we do beforehand :D

I have a 2015 CX-5 if you have any specific questions.

I do mostly city driving and still get about 27mpg.

Is your CX-5 front wheel drive or all wheel drive?

FWD. AWD is pretty useless to me where I am.
I figured as much. Having AWD each of the last two winters here in upstate NY, I feel like it's a bit overrated. Nice to have, but worth the extra $$$ and at the expense of MPGs? I'm not so sure. When I drive like a moron in my AWD Explorer (all the time), I'm all over the road regardless of it being in "snow mode" or not.

That being said, not having AWD in an SUV is normally a deal-breaker for anyone in the snowbelt.

Many thanks. That's some good mileage right there, I'm actually doing a 3 way comparison right now on the Escape, RAV4, and CX-5. The MPG and seating space are huge upsells on the CX-5. The downside (it's not much of one) is that if I want one I'll have to hike a ways to get it. I refuse to give business to the local Mazda dealer, that's where I have to go for recalls on my Saturn and I've had some bad experiences with the service dept.

I do really like the overall looks of the CX-5, that's for sure. How do you find the engine performance & acceleration?

Or trying to outrun a herd of buffalo.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
That happened only a few miles south of where I am. I think it's wild they swam across the Hudson River.

Many thanks. That's some good mileage right there, I'm actually doing a 3 way comparison right now on the Escape, RAV4, and CX-5. The MPG and seating space are huge upsells on the CX-5. The downside (it's not much of one) is that if I want one I'll have to hike a ways to get it. I refuse to give business to the local Mazda dealer, that's where I have to go for recalls on my Saturn and I've had some bad experiences with the service dept.

I do really like the overall looks of the CX-5, that's for sure. How do you find the engine performance & acceleration?

I purchased the Grand Touring model with the 2.5 liter. It certainly doesn't have the acceleration my VW with a turbo had, but acceleration is good and I can pass with ease in most instances. The engine never seems overworked and the ride is phenomenal.

I looked at the RAV4, CRV and Escape and the Mazda to me had the best ride and feel. Only knock is the infotainment system is a bit underwhelming, but I know the 2016 models got a nice upgrade in that area as well.

Plus to be honest, it's the best looking vehicle in my opinion. The lines are good and it's sportier in appearance then the box designs of the others. Rear seat space is good, I've had a 6' coworker in the back and no legroom or headroom issues.

Crazy world we live in.....shopping has gone from a used 4Runner (early 2000's) to a new Ram or F150 quad cab.
It you're leaning towards the new F-150 shoot me a text with the VIN and I'll send you all in info on the rebates/options for financing, invoice price and anything else you'd want to know.

It you're leaning towards the new F-150 shoot me a text with the VIN and I'll send you all in info on the rebates/options for financing, invoice price and anything else you'd want to know.
Speaking of the new f150, do you know if they'll have a small diesel option any time soon?

Speaking of the new f150, do you know if they'll have a small diesel option any time soon?
They seem to be sticking with their ecoboost option. Last I saw they said they were looking into it, but they stood behind the current product.

I'm sure that will change if the Toyota or Nissan sell in bunches.

Haven't read anything about Ford's having "small diesel" option anytime soon. Especially since they're still in "launch mode" with their new truck. The latest I have read on small diesels is for GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado. The link below has some details.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/canyon/2016-canyon/

With Ecoboost gaining so much ground, do they really need a small diesel? What would be the benefits of a small diesel vs Ecoboost? I was hoping they would put the V6 Ecoboost in a Mustang, I would be all over it after driving the SHO a few times. But I guess that would compete with the GT, so they did the 4 cylinder Ecoboost instead.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

With Ecoboost gaining so much ground, do they really need a small diesel? What would be the benefits of a small diesel vs Ecoboost? I was hoping they would put the V6 Ecoboost in a Mustang, I would be all over it after driving the SHO a few times. But I guess that would compete with the GT, so they did the 4 cylinder Ecoboost instead.

Fuel mileage is still much better on the diesels in the real world, even over the 2.7 ecoboost. Of course the price of diesel offsets that.

Fuel mileage is still much better on the diesels in the real world, even over the 2.7 ecoboost. Of course the price of diesel offsets that.

Longevity of a diesel motor is much higher than a gas motor, maintenance used to be less as well but since they are now full of sensors and running DEF which has its own problems especially in the cold climates I'm not sold on the new ones.

I think that the twin scroll turbo, smaller engines are the future of gasoline engines. Ford, Kia and Hyundai along with others have embraced the technology and it works well.
VW and BMW have shown that turbo diesels can be efficient as well.

We are in an exciting time for gearheads as long as this current push to apply DRMC to automobiles doesn't get rolling. That could be disastrous for modifying newer cars and would set the hot rodding world back 30 years.

Longevity of a diesel motor is much higher than a gas motor, maintenance used to be less as well but since they are now full of sensors and running DEF which has its own problems especially in the cold climates I'm not sold on the new ones.
Preaching to the choir, big fan of diesels. I just wish they weren't a premium when you buy them and at the pump.

I think that the twin scroll turbo, smaller engines are the future of gasoline engines. Ford, Kia and Hyundai along with others have embraced the technology and it works well.
VW and BMW have shown that turbo diesels can be efficient as well.

We are in an exciting time for gearheads as long as this current push to apply DRMC to automobiles doesn't get rolling. That could be disastrous for modifying newer cars and would set the hot rodding world back 30 years.

I couldn't be more impressed with my turbo 4. Torque everywhere, pretty quick and still get 35 on the highway. And day to day around town I get 27-28.

I couldn't be more impressed with my turbo 4. Torque everywhere, pretty quick and still get 35 on the highway. And day to day around town I get 27-28.

My last daily driver was the Kia Optima with the turbo 4. Great car, good power for a driver and got around 30mpg as long as you stayed out of the boost. I ended up having to get rid of it because it had some strange electrical problems with the gauges and the power windows and two dealers couldnt fix it. They sent an upper level engineer down to look at it who couldn't figure it out, so Kia bought the car back along with some other incentives, so I got a Forte instead. The Forte is a good car for my long drives, gets better gas mileage and has more options but I should have gotten another Optima.

Preaching to the choir, big fan of diesels. I just wish they weren't a premium when you buy them and at the pump.

Oh so true you definitely pay but if you haul/tow are worth it. I'm not sure how long the new emissions stuff will be around as I'm seeing lots of issues out of them especially in big trucks and believe as noncommercial vehicles with the same systems hit similar miles the same issues will start popping up

Oh so true you definitely pay but if you haul/tow are worth it. I'm not sure how long the new emissions stuff will be around as I'm seeing lots of issues out of them especially in big trucks and believe as noncommercial vehicles with the same systems hit similar miles the same issues will start popping up
It's not too bad in the smaller engines. My VW has the particulate filter, and besides it restricting the amount of engine tuning I can do, it hasn't been an issue.

Back