Hitting vs Swinging

amukwenha

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been trying to understand the distinction between hitting and swinging. I feel that when I actively apply force using my right arm, its a hitting motion. However, I have to strengthen my grip for it to work. It works very well with my driver but not so much with my irons and hybrids.

I think swinging is when I actively release the club head using my hands. I do hit reasonably well with the technique but I feel I can only sweep over the ball and cannot hit down on it.

I would be grateful for clarification on the correct hand movement and how I can determine the right swing that suits me.

I know it's easy to miss, but this one is in the Ask the Pro section.

Thanks for the response. I will try to implement your suggestions and will see how it goes

Thanks for the response. I will try to implement your suggestions and will see how it goes
The Pro will be along to provide an answer soon and it will be well worth it.

Thanks for your question, sorry for the delayed response.

I tend to see that the difference to be swinging is making a motion, and hitting as trying to contact something. I encourage my students to work on their golf swing and let the golf ball get in the way. To me this is a big difference from a sport where the ball moves and you are trying HIT it (baseball, tennis) and golf where the ball is in the same spot.

A change I tend to see in someone swinging the club is they are more around their body then a swing that is up and down for a hitting motion. This may lead to what you felt was happening with your hands. Without seeing your swing I would encourage more of the swinging motion, but I would love to see any video for more specific help for you.

The biggest thing I try to teach my students is to have their hands move with their body in the golf swing. This creates more consistency and eliminates compensations with the hands.

If you have any down the line video, feel free to post it and I will take a look. Hope this helped.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

I did not think of it at the time but I think my 4 and 6 year old grandkids demonstrated the "hit"" approach when I should have encouraged a "swing" process.

They would grip the club with a hockey type grip and sneak up on the ball and try to hit it like trying to mash a bug. I think if I could have encouraged a swing with no ball and introduced the ball later they would have been more successful.

Back