Panda: What are your thoughts/beliefs/focuses on in the transition?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Hey brother Panda, figured I should put this here for everyone rather than in a PM or whatever because who knows who it might end up helping.

So, as you know I'm taking lessons (finally) and I have always had some issues at the transition (you have seen it too) and really I still have that "baseball" tendency to want to "hit" the ball from the top which leads to the vaunted OTT issue for many as the arms and hands take over rather than the turn. I know for me my balance is a major factor with my OTT because I get forward and that gets me stuck to have to go there, but most of that I believe is still me almost throwing from the top.

What are some thing you would reccomend me working on, be it drills, thoughts, whatever.

Thanks brother!

One drill I like is for players to try pull it left. I like to have folks swing at 80% and try to hook it. What this does is get the club into a good position at the top and on down swing and gets the body moving left while the club actually moves down the line. All your stepped, by the way, is generated from the right hip to the left hip. Also trying to hook the ball keep the club low as well as the body down through impact. It's impossible to hit a proper hook from the right side.

Another good drill is to put the feet together swing back and on the down swing step into the swing or down toward the target.

• Staff
One drill I like is for players to try pull it left. I like to have folks swing at 80% and try to hook it. What this does is get the club into a good position at the top and on down swing and gets the body moving left while the club actually moves down the line. All your stepped, by the way, is generated from the right hip to the left hip. Also trying to hook the ball keep the club low as well as the body down through impact. It's impossible to hit a proper hook from the right side.

Another good drill is to put the feet together swing back and on the down swing step into the swing or down toward the target.

My pro has been big on me doing the feet together drill with a variety of clubs and just 1/4 to 1/2 swings to focus on letting the shoulders turn and the lower body free up, its tedious, but it has definitely been helping and is something I can do indoors too.

It never ceases to be amazing how one little thing (straight right leg, weight on toes, etc.) can cause much bigger issues like getting stuck and FORCING the OTT. Its a funny game for sure.

Thanks buddy.

My pro has been big on me doing the feet together drill with a variety of clubs and just 1/4 to 1/2 swings to focus on letting the shoulders turn and the lower body free up, its tedious, but it has definitely been helping and is something I can do indoors too.

It never ceases to be amazing how one little thing (straight right leg, weight on toes, etc.) can cause much bigger issues like getting stuck and FORCING the OTT. Its a funny game for sure.

Thanks buddy.
You can even just put your feet a few inches apart and put a bit more weight on the left heel and make your swings.

• Staff
You can even just put your feet a few inches apart and put a bit more weight on the left heel and make your swings.

Something I'll definitely integrate in Freddie, thank you.

Its a tough road to break bad habits and ingrain the correct feel, but I know it will pay dividends.

I have the same swing flaws Jman. I've been trying to focus on feeling the weight in my heels. Helps me to stay off my toes during the swing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have the same swing flaws Jman. I've been trying to focus on feeling the weight in my heels. Helps me to stay off my toes during the swing.

Do you shoot free throws from your heels? No, you shot free throws from the balls of your feet. If you're on your toes you have too much waist flex.

Do you shoot free throws from your heels? No, you shot free throws from the balls of your feet. If you're on your toes you have too much waist flex.

Waist flex as in bending over to far? I thunk getting the feeling of weight on my heels helps my balance overall. not that I'm sitting back on them during the swing, just that I'm not hanging on with my toes.

Back