Tapering before competition

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
When I ran track and cross country, our goal was to be at peak performance at the end of the season when our conference championships and ICAAAA/NCAA qualifiers were held. The last week or so we'd taper our activities, cut down on our mileages, but still keep some high intensity workouts to keep the mind sharp and muscles lubricated. There are studies which show that, at least in running, tapering can have positive effects.

Has anyone tried - or know of - something similar for golf? With the Morgan Cup coming up, it's interesting to see people talk about the accumulated effects of stress and how it has effected them, and I wondered if there is such a thing as too much practice towards the end of this whole process. There comes a point where you have to trust what you're going to bring to the table and the last weeks should just be spent playing and mentally preparing.

To be clear, tapering isn't letting off the gas and cruising in to the finish and/or just sitting on your can waiting for the big day to arrive, it's changing up your routine to re-energizing you mentally and physically (and while it may entail not as many rigorous days of practice and effort, they're still there).

I think having your yourself in good shape mentally and physically before a competative round of anything is a good idea.

As i mentioned in one of the #grandaddy threads, this is something I would do if I could do it differently. I overworked myself physically leading up to the #grandaddy and it reared it's ugly head out in Carlsbad.

I tried to do so much in the final weeks before the trip rather than simplifying and focusing on just a few things.

In the last three weeks I've definitely slowed down. Took a solid week off all together to relax and enjoy some family time. I've cut down workouts quite a bit to make sure I don't get a freak injury or something. Not cramming in a bunch of range sessions or playing too much. I just want to keep my tempo and swing fresh, but no need to get all worn down so close to the event for little to no gain.

I do same thing with my basketball team beginning of the season we are running 2.5-3 hour practices and by the end of the season we are around 1.5 to keep everyone fresh. I don't know if doing the same thing in golf would be helpful but like the other posters said its probably usefully to not overwork yourself before a competition and just follow your regular routines.

I ramp up to our club championship each year by playing a lot of high pressure matches with some members at our club. Tends to get my juices flowing. I then focus only on my 100 yard shots and in. That tends to save me most of my strokes out there.

Back