Beginner with a New Addiction - Need Some Club Guidance?

pipeline

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey Everyone,

First off, thanks for having me! I look forward to contributing when I have some ka-nowledge to drop. Although, that will be in many years when I have some experience to speak of. ;-)

I have been reading and reading threads here, thp and wrx on the subject of SGIs for high handicappers. From my understanding, the static stats below are what I need to make choices other than swing speed.

Age (for color) = 28
Rounds Played (for color) = 17 over the past 2 months

Longest Finger = 3.25"
Hand Length = 8"
Wrist to Floor = 36.75"
Height = 6' 0.75"
Club Extra Length = +0.25"
Ping Lie Angle = Upright 3 Degrees
Taylormade Lie Angle = Upright 1 Degree
Swing Speed = Unknown (Guessing Regular Flex - I take a smooth controlled stroke - not power hitting yet until I get extremely comfortable in my own skin/swing)

What I have gathered so far is that there are an assortment of clubs that would be fitting. Some that I have in mind are as follows:
- Ping G5 (white)
- Ping G15 (white)
- Ping G20 (white)
- Ping G25 (white)
- Mizuno JPX 800
- Taylormade Rocketballz
- Callaway RAZR
- Callaway X-Hot
- Adams Super S
- Titleist AP1

PING makes it pretty clear which one "fits" the player by utilizing color codes (white for example is where I fall). Others dont seem to have a "pre-fit". Am I right to think you would need to take each club and have it fitted after purchase?

Lend me your comments and suggestions on all fronts. I would GREATLY appreciate it!
(Note: lessons are being taken ;-)

Hey Everyone,

First off, thanks for having me! I look forward to contributing when I have some ka-nowledge to drop. Although, that will be in many years when I have some experience to speak of. ;-)

I have been reading and reading threads here, thp and wrx on the subject of SGIs for high handicappers. From my understanding, the static stats below are what I need to make choices other than swing speed.

Age (for color) = 28

Longest Finger = 3.25"
Hand Length = 8"
Wrist to Floor = 36.75"
Height = 6' 0.75"
Swing Speed = Unknown (Guessing Regular Flex - I take a smooth controlled stroke - not power hitting yet until I get extremely comfortable in my own skin/swing)

What I have gathered so far is that there are an assortment of clubs that would be fitting. Some that I have in mind are as follows:
- Ping G5 (white)
- Ping G15 (white)
- Ping G20 (white)
- Ping G25 (white)
- Mizuno JPX 800
- Taylormade Rocketballz
- Callaway RAZR
- Callaway X-Hot
- Adams Super S
- Titleist AP1

PING makes it pretty clear which one "fits" the player by utilizing color codes (white for example is where I fall). Others dont seem to have a "pre-fit". Am I right to think you would need to take each club and have it fitted after purchase?

Lend me your comments and suggestions on all fronts. I would GREATLY appreciate it!

There are any number of club models that might be good for you. You'll hear this a lot, but go try them out and get a fitting. Your list is a great start though.

As for "pre-fit" clubs, yes, Ping has more 'off the shelf' fittings, but honestly, it costs next to nothing to have each of your individual clubs fit to you. Most stores will bend the lie and loft for you for free if you buy the clubs from them. If you order direct from manufacturer, they'll bend lie/loft for no extra charge. I get my loft and lie angles checked once a year, it only costs $30 for 10 clubs.

~Rock

First, welcome to THP, we are happy that you found us!

Second, the best bet is to go somewhere that you can try some of your list if at all possible. On paper and in person can sometimes be two entirely different things.

Lots of PING options there. I would add the Karsten set to the list. It's a set that both beginners and better golfers could enjoy.

Definitely go and at least hit as much of the stuff on your list as possible - you might be surprised how many you just don't connect with right off the bat. And definitely try to get fit for lie and length with maybe your top 3 or 4 contenders after hitting a bunch of stuff.

And you've got a great list of irons to try there! I'm particularly partial to the AP1 and the JPX800/825 on your list, and I'd also recommend you add the Cleveland 588 Altitude/MT. If you can get past the looks, they are stupid easy to elevate and to hit straight.

Welcome
I would hit as many clus as you can then get fit for the one you like the best it will help your game

welcome to THP!

as a beginner, I would suggest buying used, but not too old, you can get some good 2-3 years old clubs for great prices

Welcome to THP. Have you got the point yet?, LOL. Go get fit. Let the numbers do the talking along with what feels good in your hand and what looks good as you are standing over the shot. Leave the preconceptions behind and if you can, I would highly recommend going to a place that can do a fitting at a range so you can get your numbers and see actual ball flight from the club(s) instead of just looking at a simulation on the screen. They will both provide feedback that you will use in deciding what club you like. The cost of this fitting is usually applied to the purchase of the clubs. But you can also take the data and then go shopping for the best deal if you want as well.

Welcome, as I am fairly new to THP myself I can tell you this is the place for the best advice and the folks here are fun and helpful. As most have stated go and hit some clubs and see what YOU like.You can lag behind a model year and be fine in terms of having the latest and greatest. Then please get fitted so you get the most out of your investment.
This is one addiction you can enjoy. It might hurt the wallet but it sure feels good.

I will reiterate what most have said already. If you have the ability, go to a PGA Super Store, Golf Galaxy, Golfsmith, etc. and hit as many of the different brand clubs that you can. What you read on paper that is supposed to work for you may not translate to the actual playing or swinging of the clubs. Looks like you have done a great bit of research so you are already better informed than most.

Oh, and welcome to THP. Glad to have you join us. :banana:

do yourself a favor and lose the link to this site, these people are crazy.....

All jokes aside, like everyone has said, get out and try all you can, but you seem to have gathered a fair bit of knowledge.

Next i would say lessons, and does not have to be high dollar personnel one on one lesson, look for group clinics, or specials.

Callaway Preowned is a great place to shop if you decide you want a Call set. Of course, on the other hand, you can pick up some sets that people drooled about two years ago for $249 to $299 new so depending on your budget, that could be a good route too. The only problem there, though, is you can't always find them to hit before buying. For instance, Woot had the TM High Loft Speedblades on sale for $299 today (4 through Approach Wedge)...lots of people liked those a lot. Similar deals can be found elswhere.

Welcome! This place has helped me renew my passion for golf after a 10 yr haitus. ​Cobra Amp cell Driver and FW woods with the Speedblades make an excellent combo if you can find the Amp Cells for a decent $!

Hey Everyone,

Age (for color) = 28

Longest Finger = 3.25"
Hand Length = 8"
Wrist to Floor = 36.75"
Height = 6' 0.75"

- Ping G5 (white)
- Ping G15 (white)
- Ping G20 (white)
- Ping G25 (white)
- Mizuno JPX 800
- Taylormade Rocketballz
- Callaway RAZR
- Callaway X-Hot
- Adams Super S
- Titleist AP1

My Update:

Got a static and dynamic fitting today and hit 20 or so sets today. I kept going back to the G20s and JPX825s. They weren't to happy when I ended up not buying anything from them but the prices on used were out of whack compared to what I was seeing all over and online. But then again... they are the only shop in the area with an indoor and outdoor area to get fitted properly.

After a bit or research and shopping around all afternoon and evening, 2nd Swing posted two sets of G20 White Dots @ 9:00PM EDT. I almost fell out of my seat. With the promo code and price on the used set of G20 White Dots, I got a screaming deal for $260 (4-PW). Also, I picked up 2 Adams a12os (4 hybrid and 5 hybrid) @ inthehole with the british open promo for 130.

Still havent hit many woods but it will be awhile before I really need one. Focus will be on playing short and working my way up to woods and drivers (in due time). For now, its irons and lessons. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
really great start, and i like how you are thinking on the woods, i played a year and a half before i touched a wood, and that was a 3 wood i played for 6 months before looking at a driver.

So I played all season (starting in late July) and broke 100 regularly into September. Come October I actually broke 90 a couple of times.

My G20s worked out well. I have straightened out my game and decided I really need something to give me more distance. I bought the 3 iron of the G20s from PING direct. It was worth it. I cranked that all year. At the bitter end (in the last 3 weeks) I bought a Cobra Amp Cell 3W... And I think I found out either I am not ready for Woods yet or the regular flex is to much flex for my swing.

Over the winter I will be getting my clubs fitted using dynamic analysis (vs. Static which I used to buy and glad I got lucky with the fitting accuracy of Ping). 56 and 60 degree Pelz wedges need another 1.5 inches or so, I know it.

I have G20 irons as well. However I'm only using 8 through gap. I have found that I struggle with the 7 and right now the 6 is useless. I have 4 hybrids,17,23,27 and 31. The 17 is a G25 and the rest are 20's. You may find hybrids fit you're swing right now. G20 hybrids can be lie adjusted, not sure how far. The 25's can be adjusted+or- 1 1/2 degrees. Give them a try.

As to woods a driver or 3 wood can be hard to get used to. Try a 5 or 7 wood. Easier to hit and can be hit off the grass. I would look at a G series wood. Golf Galaxy is dumping G20's and K15 woods at a good price. As for the flex issue, I've got an old Cleveland Launcher in 11.5 in SR flex. I can hit that straight all day long. Hit some serious moon balls but hit it I can. Get fitted for the woods. See what fits and find the flex you need. Woods are more flex touchy than irons.

Glad you are enjoying yourself. Good luck in you're journey.

Mark Shuman

This Amp Cell can adjust loft wise. I can hit it fine off a tee or the ground. I think it has to do with the speed of my swing and the flex, contact is being made with an open face. I need to learn how to hit a wood properly on way or another. Turn over wrist and get the correct shaft stiffness first before I buy something else. It's a great club.

Back