Army12Bravo

Reaction score
Handicap
I pretty sure this has been asked, but I would like to see where you all stand on this.

What tees to play? How do you decide what tees is the right tees for your game?

At my club we have 5 tees, Red, Grey, White, Blue and Gold. Red and Grey are easy, womens and Seniors. White@ 5700+/- yards, Blue 6150+/- yards and Gold 6500+/- yards.

I hit my 5 iron 180-195 and my average drive/carry is 240-250.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

I think you would be alright from the 6500 yard tees with a 7 handicap. Kind of depends on how they use the yardage also.

Blue I think would be the best option I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just distance that should help your decision on tee boxes. Your ability level comes into play here huge. If you are a 7 hdcp like your profile says, then I would say white, blue or gold. It depends on how testy you want the course to be that day for you.

White or Blue IMO but you know your game best. Play what makes it fun for you and doesn't hold everyone else up

Blue I think would be the best option I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Handicap should be the deciding factor, not gender.

My HCP is bouncing between 7-8 right now. My goal is scratch then below, if there is a HCP for below par players....?

I have been playing white and played blue once on this course. Haven't played Gold yet, I have read somewhere that multiplying your 5 iron by 36 or something like that is a good start.

Besides feel and what you think is right, do any of you use stats to help with the choice? With the White tees, I have noticed that on only a few holes, I am hitting a wedge most the time to the green. I think three holes puts me above a PW and into the 8-7 range.

Thanks

My HCP is bouncing between 7-8 right now. My goal is scratch then below, if there is a HCP for below par players....?

I have been playing white and played blue once on this course. Haven't played Gold yet, I have read somewhere that multiplying your 5 iron by 36 or something like that is a good start.

Besides feel and what you think is right, do any of you use stats to help with the choice? With the White tees, I have noticed that on only a few holes, I am hitting a wedge most the time to the green. I think three holes puts me above a PW and into the 8-7 range.

Thanks

Regarding hdcp for better players it goes the + sign for that.

Like +4 or +1

I look at the slope and rating from various tees and use that more as a judge than distance. The starter at my home course suggests only single digit handicappers play from the blue, scratches from the tips and all others that aren't seniors or ladies play from the whites. I wish that was more of an official policy as there are way too mny people playing from the blue and the tips on what is an extremely challenging course.

I mean its great having wedge that many times, but I think you could do well with the Gold tees and knock some of the dust off those 5 6 and 7 irons haha

Regarding hdcp for better players it goes the + sign for that.

Like +4 or +1

With me being a 7, I thought I was a +7? Meaning I am likely to hit 7 above par on a given Slope/Rating course. So my scoring average would be 79 on a par 72 course? Or am I just not understanding the system.

Honestly, I plug my scores in and the system says, "this is what you are".....lol

So if I shot -2 everytime I played, what would my HCP be?

Handicap is a little more complex than that. When factoring in slope and rating a handicap is used to measure scoring "potential" ...I think anyway please someone correct me

With me being a 7, I thought I was a +7? Meaning I am likely to hit 7 above par on a given Slope/Rating course. So my scoring average would be 79 on a par 72 course? Or am I just not understanding the system.

Honestly, I plug my scores in and the system says, "this is what you are".....lol

So if I shot -2 everytime I played, what would my HCP be?

Handicap doesn't work that way. Your handicap isn't your average for 18 holes. It's your potential. On a really good day you should be shooting 79ish. If you're going lower than that consistently then the system will eventually catch up and lower you more.

Others can probably explain it better than I can

Handicap is how much you subtract from your score when comparing to others. If you're a worse than scratch golfer, your handicap is negative so you'd subtract from your total score before comparing to your competitors. If you're better than scratch, your handicap is positive, so +1 or +2 or something, meaning if you're playing a handicapped tournament you *add* strokes to your score before comparing numbers.

Calculating handicap is...complicated. The basics as I understand is is that a scratch golfer is expected to shoot par. That said, I don't know if that's calculated from the tips, how rating/slope apply, etc.

While handicap, slope and rting do factor in I think you should play as far back as you can and still reach the all par fours in two. If you are hitting wedge in to most of the par 4's you should definitely move back.

Here's an odd take. Every once in a while, play the forward tips. Move all the way up. It completely changes the course.

While handicap, slope and rting do factor in I think you should play as far back as you can and still reach the all par fours in two. If you are hitting wedge in to most of the par 4's you should definitely move back.

I agree.

Our distances are pretty similar. You may be about 10 yards further than me on most drives. I play on the whites, or at THP events, the designated tee box for the group. But, my handicap is roughly 20 - 23. I don't keep an actual handicap as I don't plan on playing any tournaments. Based on your handicap, you should probably be playing from the blues. However, here's the catch. Your handicap of 7 is based on you currently playing from the whites. So if you are enjoying your game, keep playing from there. You said that you played from the blues once. How did you play when you did that? Was your score about the same? Or did doing that at 8 strokes to your typical round score? Unless you are looking to play in tournaments, and your only out there to play and hang out with friends, family and have fun, then play the tees that makes the game more enjoyable for you. If you've got an agenda, or a goal, then play to continuously challenge yourself and push yourself. I'd say you're doing pretty darn good playing from the whites, but it doesn't sound like you'd have much issue moving back a set to the blues every once in a while for the fun of it.

Here's an odd take. Every once in a while, play the forward tips. Move all the way up. It completely changes the course.

I do the same. I'll play the longest, and the shortest from time to time. You can still post the scores, you just have to enter the correct tees. Changes things up and can be fun.

We always call the "senior" tees, the forward tips for Jacqui. She plays those more often than the forward tees.

We always call the "senior" tees, the forward tips for Jacqui. She plays those more often than the forward tees.
Way to be sensitive.

I call the forward tips "going for par 4s in 1" day.

Play the tees that make the game for you. I try to look at par 3s and try to avoid playing multiple par 3s at 190+

I look at playing different tees as a way to play a "different" course and exercise different clubs and approaches to the hole/course. Others have posted some comments along these lines (play forward = "go for the green"/test your driver, play gold = longer approaches to the green/more scrambling near the green...)

Sure, it's good to have a standard way to play the course, that helps you work on a comfortable strategy and the precision to execute it. But moving out of the comfort zone and creating different challenges improves your game and makes it more portable.

I personally always play the hardest tees available. I fell it lets me see where i stand and gives me an idea on how much I (yes capital) want to improve.

White or Blue IMO but you know your game best. Play what makes it fun for you and doesn't hold everyone else up

One who understands respectable pace and cares to make the effort (generally speaking) will keep respectable pace from any tee (with "some" exception of course).

Back