Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
Since I use my hands and arms to take the club back during the backswing, what would you suggest that I practice with to use the back and shoulders instead?

On impact since I'm a righty, I've always just been tucking my right elbow in and across my body. Are you supposed to keep your right arm in front of you or tuck it in?

TIA :)

Those are 2 interesting questions...Lets start with the takeaway part first. To get the feel of a 1 piece takeaway or using the big muscles. The benifit of this move is it helps keep the arms and hands in sync with the core. The FIX: The best thing for this drill is an impact bag (if you don't have 1 a 12inch 2x4 or a shoe box with something to weigh it down will work). I want you to place the impact bag about 4-5 inches behind your club at setup. When you take the club back I want you to push the bag straight back until the club is free of the bag. You will notice real fast that it is hard to push straight back just using your arms and hands. The shoulders will kick in to make this move posible.

For the right arm position at impact. The right elbow should be tucked into you RIBS not your side. If we stick it in our sides our body tends to get in the way and forces us to throw our hands/club head at the ball. I would like to see the right elbow glued to the ribs and stay tucked there as the body turns through impact. This is how to hit the ball with the big muscles instead of the hands. I hope that makes sense and let me know if there is more that I can do to help.

That sounds like some great advice there... I too have a hard time with keeping my right elbow tucked in so I will have to try that "glued to the ribs" suggestion.

The idea is to feel like the right arm is stuck to the ribs and it is the turn of your core muscles that gets the right arm and club head into impact. It is a different sensation for most golfers when they first try it.

Try it in slow motion at first to feel out the position! Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Great tips, will have to try it.

Back