Round Killers or I had it going till I made a $^&#*#@ (Your Score Here)

Johnny Hack

Proud To Have Served
Reaction score
For me I dread the "Double Bogey" because they are usually a result of trying "I hit the last one great so I'm gonna Smoke this one"

What are yours and what is the usual cause?

GIR with a 3 putt is a great way to send me into a downward spiral.

On or around the green of a Par 5 in two and walking away with Par or worse (3 putt or bad chip and two putt)

Also, a double or triple (or two) at the beginning of a round.

When holes that I usually play well and smart ends up being a double or worse. Drives me nuts

Two things get me to tank a hole:

1. Dumping it in the water off the tee.
2. Smoking a drive down the middle of the fairway.

No necessarily a score, but I absolutely lose my **** when I try to play it safe by taking less than driver off the tee and then hit a wayward shot. Nothing like being in the rough/behind trees AND over 200 yards out on a par 4

Lately I've been failing to get up-and-down from very easy spots around the green. When it happens, I just get sour...

For me I dread the "Double Bogey" because they are usually a result of trying "I hit the last one great so I'm gonna Smoke this one"

What are yours and what is the usual cause?

GIR with a 3 putt is a great way to send me into a downward spiral.

On or around the green of a Par 5 in two and walking away with Par or worse (3 putt or bad chip and two putt)

I agree with all of the above.

A four putt usually take the wind out of my sails. If I ever get that deer in the headlights look when I'm looking at a slippery downhill four foot slider, you know I've had a bad previous hole with the putter. It has a negative affect on my confidence.

A great drive on a par 5 ALWAYS kicks my butt. I will try to go for it in 2 and it means all hell breaks loose.

Making a smart decision to lay up or play less club to avoid a hazard then putting a bad swing on it and hitting it in the trouble anyway.

seeing how stupid my shot was after the fact. why try to hit a piercing flighted down hooking mid-iron when i can just choke down on a lower-lofted club and make a full swing? why try to hit the 210 shot over water to a false-front green on a par 5 when a short iron layup and a wedge in for an easy par is available? why try the wide-open face splash out of a bunker to a tucked pin when a regular bunker shot will leave a makeable 10' putt? why try to tee the ball down and play a 50y cut driver into the wind by starting the ball at the hazard? most of these are just knowing my limitations, and playing the averages.

what will really derail me is seeing a score, and then making bad decision after bad decision to render the score unattainable. yesterday was a perfect example. a really solid ball-striking 39 on the front, then bad decisions (caused by or at least exacerbated by slow play) led to a bogey train that i could not get off. i started the ol' "ok, if i par in, i can still shoot 79" and we all know how that goes. and the wheels really came off when i put myself in position a off the tee with a wedge in hand and still miss a green. just so STUPID.

Making a smart decision to lay up or play less club to avoid a hazard then putting a bad swing on it and hitting it in the trouble anyway.

No necessarily a score, but I absolutely lose my **** when I try to play it safe by taking less than driver off the tee and then hit a wayward shot. Nothing like being in the rough/behind trees AND over 200 yards out on a par 4
Agree 100%. Trying to be smart and then botching it anyway is a recipe for some mental trauma.

Also, if I straight up top or chunk a tee ball, that can put me in a bad place rather quickly.

Having a solid front nine , then getting a double or worse on # 10 , Takes the wind out of my sail everytime.

Leaving a birdie putt short which leads to a 3-putt - UGH!!!

I had one recently. I dropped a 25 ft putt for eagle on the first hole, then proceeded to hit the next 4 greens in regulation and 3 putt all of them (one of the 3 putts came from within 10 feet). Going from 2 under to 2 over because of 3-putt's completely shattered my confidence with the putter. Ended up shooting one of my higher scores of the year (82) that day. For as good as I hit the ball that day, I should have shot about 4 or 5 under, but the putter just killed me.

Well, yesterday, I had a great round going, until I let the wind get in my head. I still managed to save double bogey, after hitting a poor tee shot, duff, then shank. I actually finished well though, so I feel good that I limited that to just one hole.

~Rock

Just a few...

1. A shank. Um, yeah.
2. A double bogey or worse on a birdie hole
3. A 3-putt bogey after a birdie.
4. Penalties.
5. Penalties
6. Did I mention penalties yet?

A stabbed, bladed, or chunked chip shot around the green. It amazes me that I still struggle with this.

Oh and penalties, most of which for me come not off the tee, but from the middle of the fairway. Stupid links course and it's waist high grass around the green.

Doubles are round killers for me.

The only things that could 'kill' a round for me are back pain and having a bad attitude. The back pain I can't control, and I don't do bad attitude... anymore.

But if by a 'killed' round you mean a bad scoring round, the killer would be not putting well throughout the entire round.

having a shot at a personal goal that is a make-able shot...but getting in my own head and, lets be honest...choking. Had a chance to break 40 for first time ever on any 9 hole section yesterday and a 4-footer to do it I had been making all day. 3 putts later...how bad did it shake me? I had hit every fairway on the front. First tee shot on the back missed the fairway. But the fairway I am talking about is the one NEXT to the one I was on...

Agree 100%. Trying to be smart and then botching it anyway is a recipe for some mental trauma.
Add me to this one. Play it smart and safe, NOT trying hero shot, and lay up to a good spot. ...then shank the 100 yd wedge off the edge of the golf course.

Back