Heading to San Diego: Torrey Pines North or South?

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
Ok, so let me start by saying my first choice would be the South course. I'm not asking which course is better or more fun to play because I think the South wins that hands down. Here is why I'm trying to decide which to play:

I will be landing in SD on the 26th at about 2PM and planning on heading out to the course as soon as I get checked in to my hotel. I will have some time Monday or Tuesday to get out there so I may play another course Sunday and then head to Torrey on Monday or Tuesday afternoon. I'm guessing whichever day I head there I'm going to get to pay the twilight rate. North course is cheaper, South course price isn't bad. It looks like I could probably walk on and get in a group on the North course (someone who has been there correct me if I'm wrong) but the South course I better book soon if I want to get on. To book a tee time I would have to pay a $42 booking fee, plus then the greens fees. Based on some things I've read, as much as people love the South course they think its overpriced and that the North course is still amazing, and if I could save the $43 booking fee by walking on its an even better value.

So I pay $153 including the reservation fee (190 if I play Sunday) on the South course by booking ahead?

Or should I play the North course for $60 ($75 if I play Sunday) *this is basing it off of not needing to book ahead.

Maybe someone here can tell me for sure if I really need to book ahead on the North course for a single golfer. If so the costs would be a lot closer, but I'm planning on playing another course while I'm there so I'm just trying to keep my costs down wherever I can.

Thanks everyone!

I played North last year and really enjoyed it. First to be in the area and play, so having ocean views and the terrain changes, and watching the military aircraft was great. I was told as a single you would probably not have much trouble getting on the North course, and should be able to get on the South other than maybe Friday thru Sunday.

As a single I am pretty confident you can get out without the booking fee.

I believe there's also a cart and range balls fee to factor in as well.

1. For costs reasons, I would skip Torrey altogether on Sunday.
2. In order to finish at twilight, you need to be in one of the first 2-3 groups. That will NOT happen on the weekend as a walk-on. You'll have a better chance on Monday or Tuesday.

If your looking to play twilight on Monday or Tuesday, let me know. All I need is an excuse to get off work early and golf. I'm a native and I'll book that twilight tee time.

Last edited:
2. In order to finish at twilight, you need to be in one of the first 2-3 groups. That will NOT happen on the weekend as a walk-on. You'll have a better chance on Monday or Tuesday.

If your looking to play twilight on Monday or Tuesday, let me know. All I need is an excuse to get off work early and golf. I'm a native and I'll book that twilight tee time.

I am actually probably looking to play that Monday afternoon (the 27th). I always love playing with fellow THPers if you're free. I'll be in meetings for part of the morning til about 11 AM and then I'd probably head out to the course and just practice or hit balls til I can get on the course.

Another note, is the courses are very walkable. I walked both in a single day. Definitely consider that if your looking to save a few bucks. The North is slightly harder to walk more elevation change.

If you only play one, play the south. It makes the farmers tourney more fun to watch after playing the course.

I'm thinking Monday will be the best day for me to play TP. Im staying downtown and it sounds like a cab would cost me $50 each way. Whereabouts in San Diego do you live? Maybe I could hitch a ride with you and we could get a round in Monday afternoon.

I'm thinking Monday will be the best day for me to play TP. Im staying downtown and it sounds like a cab would cost me $50 each way. Whereabouts in San Diego do you live? Maybe I could hitch a ride with you and we could get a round in Monday afternoon.
INgolfer I'm game buddy. I work in Pt. Loma and I can easily swing by and pick you up. After our round, I'll also give you a ride back.

Let me check Torrey Pines calendar to see when they plan on punching greens. In the meantime, PM so we can exchange information.

http://www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/golf/torreypines/course/updates.shtml

Based on their discounts, both course should be fine by the 27th. The North will have an extra week to recover. You tell me which course you want to play and when. I'm married with 2 kids so twilight is always good for my wallet. However, if you need to play early we can do that too.

Sent you a PM a little bit ago. North course is cool with me and any time works on Monday for me.

We are going to have a great time. This will be one of two tune up rounds before #TheKing.

You can't go wrong with either course and the North is no slouch at all. You guys have a blast!

JM

sandiegonative came through big time and got us a tee time at the North Course on Monday. To say I am pumped would be an understatement! I can tell he is a super cool dude just from our short conversations through email and text and we are going to have a great time. Nothing better than playing with THPers and this will be epic for me playing at Torrey Pines.

sandiegonative came through big time and got us a tee time at the North Course on Monday. To say I am pumped would be an understatement! I can tell he is a super cool dude just from our short conversations through email and text and we are going to have a great time. Nothing better than playing with THPers and this will be epic for me playing at Torrey Pines.
YES! I'm playing Torrey North the following Monday, be sure to leave some birdies out there for me bro!

Glad you got hooked up there Brad. Sounds like a great time to be had out in SD!

YES! I'm playing Torrey North the following Monday, be sure to leave some birdies out there for me bro!

I'll write my name on a few balls and see if you find them when you are out there buddy

Well done boys, sounds like a blast!

Played the North Course with my father-in-law last year. Can't speak for the South Course, but the views on the North Course on 6 and 7 are phenomenal. Enjoy!

So how did you guys play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We both started out well. I believe Bradd shot 41 front and I shot a 43. He played the back same, 41. Me not so much. Shot a 47 back. Had a great time.

Fun seeing Brad's pictures on Facebook throughout the day. Looked like a great time!

Can't thank sandiegonative enough for giving me the chance to play TP. I'll post my photos on here later once I'm done with some work meetings. Fantastic group of guys to play with and the weather was perfect at a beautiful course. I'll never forget this one. we got to watch the sun set as we finished the last few holes so it made the views even more amazing. Hope I get to play here again someday

I loved your pics you posted on Facebook, it made me even more excited about playing there on Monday after #TheKing!

I loved your pics you posted on Facebook, it made me even more excited about playing there on Monday after #TheKing!

Dude it will exceed your expectations.

Back