Short Putts: Do You Putt To The Front or Back of The Cup?

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
I think I stumbled onto something in this afternoon's practice session that made me be more aggressive on short putts. I started focusing on where I wanted the ball to hit the back of the cup instead of focusing on the front of the cup.

Does anyone else do this?

I putt to where I want it to fall in.

I typically have a heavy hand so on all my putts I try to get it to die into the hole and my putting has been so much better this past year.

I'm back of the cup with authority, take the break out. This just works for me

Depending how short I putt to the center of the cup. I kind of just look at the hole in general and putt to it.

I try for the back of the cup. If it's downhill, I'll give it just a little less.

Never really thought about the part of the cup. Anywhere in the cup will do for me!

I try and hit the back of the cup to ensure to putt drops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more of a center of the cup kind of guy.

I think by aiming for the point on the front of the cup, I was giving it a chance to move out of the hole before it got there.

Any putt that I feel I should make is hit pretty hard and usually doesn't give the hole away. I don't mind running a few 2-3' past because I can usually jar the come-backers. When I putt aggressively I drain a lot of putts, when I putt timidly I have a lot of 3 inch tap ins for bogey.

Inside 3-4 feet I'm aiming for the back of the cup all day and giving it a confident roll. Unless the pin is cut on a major slope I'm taking the break out of the line.
^^This^^

Any putt that I feel I should make is hit pretty hard and usually doesn't give the hole away. I don't mind running a few 2-3' past because I can usually jar the come-backers. When I putt aggressively I drain a lot of putts, when I putt timidly I have a lot of 3 inch tap ins for bogey.
I think this is usually why I start my rounds off with a lot off bogeys. Too many barely missed putts because I was babying them in.

I miss low side....

I generally putt to the hole and let it fall. I've been yelled at numerous times for this.

I like to have up hillers hit the back of the cup and down hillers die in.

I can be a tad tentative on short putts and try to drop them over the front edge. I wish I was confident enough to putt hard toward the back abd take the break out.

The back of the cup...try to be a little more aggressive on short putts.

I can see rationale for either way. At least for me on very grainy or slow or flat greens, firm in the back. Otherwise I try to die it to a point on the cup.

I've never thought about looking at the cup. Maybe I should try it!

I try and go back of the cup firm, the less break the better.

i just hope to hit any part of the cup...lol

I dunno, I just aim for the middle.

I try to be aggressive but I will just take them going in which is a rare occurrence for me. I struggle with them in general!

Back