Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Is the original shaft high launching ? Is it better to go with another shaft ? I am looking at something that doesn't launch too high and spin too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really getting along with the tour green at 45". I figured out I need to address the ball out towards the toe in order to get a center strike for some reason. It's a good feeling stepping on the tee box with some confidence. Today the course was packed and we had an audience on several holes. I'm trying not to read the reviews on the 815. More forgiving and less spin!!! Say it ain't so...

I worked with my instructor on this last lesson. What looked like on the toe to me at address was center face when we looked at the video from behind.

Has anybody had a replacement head for this issue? Has callaway said anything about this?
Callaway just had me go to the PGA superstore where I originally purchased the club and I paid the difference for the 815.

Tap tap taparoo

For 2015 it appears Callaway has given up on the sliding weight technology, that surprises me since they were saying it was the superior patent.

For 2015 it appears Callaway has given up on the sliding weight technology, that surprises me since they were saying it was the superior patent.

The reasons have been discussed I believe in their media productions. It has very little to do with its effectiveness. Its easy to see when you compare the companies with sliding weights to see which ones influence ball flight.

It has to do with how many people actually used it the way it is intended. Yes, it's the best from of the technology but so many people didn't use it. Plus they now have the forgiveness of that club with the gravity core in the 815.

Bertha performed well for me today. New swing in process resulted in a great drive on 9. Makes such a big difference hitting the center of the club face!

It has to do with how many people actually used it the way it is intended. Yes, it's the best from of the technology but so many people didn't use it. Plus they now have the forgiveness of that club with the gravity core in the 815.

And the Bertha 815 is a very impressive driver, just was a bit surprised that after the first year debut, and them marketing the hell out of that driver, it was left out of the 2015 line. Would I buy it, no, I would be jumping on the 815

And the Bertha 815 is a very impressive driver, just was a bit surprised that after the first year debut, and them marketing the hell out of that driver, it was left out of the 2015 line. Would I buy it, no, I would be jumping on the 815

They pretty much sold out. They had a plan in mind inventory wise to hold it price wise until products left the shelves and then release the next iteration.

I think there are people who constantly tinker with it, and people who never touched it at all.

I put mine about a third of the way off from center toward the draw side, and this club is a BOMBER! Feels good, love the less metallic sound on centered strikes, and produces just the ball flight I like. No ballooning, just a little fade toward the end, and just way out there.

I think there are people who constantly tinker with it, and people who never touched it at all.

I'm in the "tinker too much" category, which I sometimes feel has hurt me off the tee, which was never a strong point of my game. But I definitely love the slider weight, it definitely does make a difference to me at least. But I tend to mess with the settings too much, as soon as I had a cold spell, it was time to change settings even if they were working fine for me.

I'm in the "tinker too much" category, which I sometimes feel has hurt me off the tee, which was never a strong point of my game. But I definitely love the slider weight, it definitely does make a difference to me at least. But I tend to mess with the settings too much, as soon as I had a cold spell, it was time to change settings even if they were working fine for me.

Once I found the sliding weight spot that really felt good, I left it alone. I've gone to 11.5° to try and help get more distance as I do tend to line-drive it rather than hit the high bombers. Bringing the launch up a degree helped today, think I'll stick with it.

Is the original shaft high launching ? Is it better to go with another shaft ? I am looking at something that doesn't launch too high and spin too much.

It was to high for me. I switched to a tour green and the ball flight is still higher than most of my competition. Weird I'm teeing it low and it still gets up there w 9.5*. Good distance just no roll out.

After putting 2 new clubs in my bag I went out and shot a 76. Which included my first ever 9 holes under par at -1.
This is outstanding for me. I attribute ALOT of that to my newly acquired Big Bertha Driver. I hit a little over 50% of fairways but most that missed were just off and I didn't lose a ball or have a penalty stroke. I can't believe how well I was hitting it, the sliding weight just absolutely works for me.
I was consistently drawing my drives which I never do.

After putting 2 new clubs in my bag I went out and shot a 76. Which included my first ever 9 holes under par at -1.
This is outstanding for me. I attribute ALOT of that to my newly acquired Big Bertha Driver. I hit a little over 50% of fairways but most that missed were just off and I didn't lose a ball or have a penalty stroke. I can't believe how well I was hitting it, the sliding weight just absolutely works for me.

Well done

That really is great to hear. Congrats on such a fantastic round.

Thanks, I hear a lot that they improved on the bertha line with the 815. I really don't see how they could since they got rid of the sliding weight.
But if they did, that's awesome.

The sliding weight combined with the forgiveness of the head just flat out work. Real impressed so far.

Thanks, I hear a lot that they improved on the bertha line with the 815. I really don't see how they could since they got rid of the sliding weight.
But if they did, that's awesome.

The sliding weight combined with the forgiveness of the head just flat out work. Real impressed so far.

I've hit the 815 against my Bertha - I honestly prefer the 2014 model. Something about that club just clicks for me.

Yesterday I had the BB in play for 18 holes and I have to say this is one of the best feeling drivers I've ever hit. Right now it's set at 9.5 and every thing else neutral and I love the ball flight. Nice high flight with a slight fade at the end and by the fourth or fifth tee shot it was just point and shoot. I'm late to the Bertha party but I'm glad I'm here

I am looking to get a used bb or x2 hot to tinker with. I would like to stay away from real light shafts but need more launch angle. Any suggestions in head and shaft combos including non stock shafts?

I am looking to get a used bb or x2 hot to tinker with. I would like to stay away from real light shafts but need more launch angle. Any suggestions in head and shaft combos including non stock shafts?

I'm playing the Kuro Kage 60 in mine - got it for relatively cheap and wanted to try something in the 60g range instead of the stock 50g shaft. I have been happy so far. The Bertha was my favorite of those two lines, by a large margin.

I'm playing the Kuro Kage 60 in mine - got it for relatively cheap and wanted to try something in the 60g range instead of the stock 50g shaft. I have been happy so far. The Bertha was my favorite of those two lines, by a large margin.

Its been a year since I hit the bb but it was too low launching for my swing stock. It felt solid at impact with good ballspeed. I might have to try a high loft and a higher launching shaft.

Its been a year since I hit the bb but it was too low launching for my swing stock. It felt solid at impact with good ballspeed. I might have to try a high loft and a higher launching shaft.

Hmm - the Fubuki Z is pretty high launching. You might want to try lofting up, or going w the X2Hot - that went higher (for me at least).

I still really like my BB a lot. Great stick for me.

I've been thinking about this driver lately. I need to get some demo swings in with it. Can find them now with some good prices. Something a little more forgiving might be nice for once considering 4 of my last 5 drivers were j40, covert, sldr s, covert 2.0 tour.

Back