Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

Has anyone notice paint cracking above the awp track? I bought my BB from cally pre-owned about 2 months ago. It adjusted the weight this afternoon and noticed the cracks. Looks like a stress crack about an inch. I will contact pre-owned tomorrow, not expecting any trouble. I'll keep you guys in the loop.
90f3a97b7e04458ae8bc48d3e2973616.jpg

Has anyone notice paint cracking above the awp track? I bought my BB from cally pre-owned about 2 months ago. It adjusted the weight this afternoon and noticed the cracks. Looks like a stress crack about an inch. I will contact pre-owned tomorrow, not expecting any trouble. I'll keep you guys in the loop.

The only paint chipping I've noticed was around the area where the screw is.

I had the bubbling of paint on the head issue, but I contacted Callaway and they sent me a brand new head and I returned mine. I do wish I had checked back to see what the issue was.

The only paint chipping I've noticed was around the area where the screw is.

I have a small area by the screw where the paint flaked off, also another even small area by the APW. But not a crack or anything concerning at all. Probably from a nice divot I took with it once. :beat-up:

On my Alpha, the red gravity core port turns when I try to tighten the cap over the weight. This keeps me from really being able to tighten it. Anybody have this issue?

I had the bubbling of paint on the head issue, but I contacted Callaway and they sent me a brand new head and I returned mine. I do wish I had checked back to see what the issue was.
With the bubbling paint on the head. Is it the wrinkle starting at the heel and going towards the toe?

I've been dealing with that issue since June essentially... They have sent me 2 replacement clubs and they each have the same issue varying in degrees of severity....

Hoping to get it resolved soon.

Tap tap taparoo

With the bubbling paint on the head. Is it the wrinkle starting at the heel and going towards the toe?

I've been dealing with that issue since June essentially... They have sent me 2 replacement clubs and they each have the same issue varying in degrees of severity....

Tap tap taparoo
Hmmm, do you have some pics. Here is another one maybe a little clear.
a944bb447dd9e9fc4117de4faedb1ed4.jpg
9e73ee643c5d2192d34a6afde2e50e63.jpg

Mine is more on the crown.
bf4d6bb5a844e1fef06faf4862887f7e.jpg

Tap tap taparoo

Called on Monday and sent a few pics. A few hours later I had a tracking # for a replacement. Sweet!! I got home today today a had a package waiting. Well it was a complete replacement head, Shaft, headcover and wrench. Only problem it is in worse condition than mine. Made a call and send some more pics hoping to get it resolved soon. Also waiting on a 60* Mack Daddy tour grind to arrive, super pumped about it!

Glad they're working with and taking care of you!

Glad they're working with and taking care of you!
Well here we go I really would like your guys opinions. Recieved the replacement of the replacement today. Hmmm........ Still not what I was expecting. It has a small chip on the sole and also a distinct Ridge above the apw, is this common. I have three heads and 2of the 3 have this, my original actually has some paint chipped off. I don't want to be a pain or get something I didn't pay for. I bought my original approx. 45 days ago in very good condition. I think my original head is in better shape than the 2 replacement heads other than the stress cracking or whatever. Callaway pre-owned was nice enough to send me a aldila tour green Shaft this last time! I asked for a fubuki zt and they sent the Aldila instead. I'm truly thinking of just keeping the original head with the tour green Shaft. If no one else is seeing the stress ridge/cracking, I'm going to have to send it back again. What do you all think??

Well here we go I really would like your guys opinions. Recieved the replacement of the replacement today. Hmmm........ Still not what I was expecting. It has a small chip on the sole and also a distinct Ridge above the apw, is this common. I have three heads and 2of the 3 have this, my original actually has some paint chipped off. I don't want to be a pain or get something I didn't pay for. I bought my original approx. 45 days ago in very good condition. I think my original head is in better shape than the 2 replacement heads other than the stress cracking or whatever. Callaway pre-owned was nice enough to send me a aldila tour green Shaft this last time! I asked for a fubuki zt and they sent the Aldila instead. I'm truly thinking of just keeping the original head with the tour green Shaft. If no one else is seeing the stress ridge/cracking, I'm going to have to send it back again. What do you all think??
The ridges in the paint on the crown is due to the face cup and how the crown flexes at impact. I have seen this on every big bertha driver. It is a very small line and doesn't affect performance at all

The ridges in the paint on the crown is due to the face cup and how the crown flexes at impact. I have seen this on every big bertha driver. It is a very small line and doesn't affect performance at all
See the above pics, it's not the crown it's on the back above the apw.

Tap tap taparoo

It was about 6 tiny bubbles about the size of a match head over the crown of the driver. They did not question me at all and even let me swap the 10.5° head for the 13.5° when I swapped out the heads.

Any thoughts?? If it's only cosmetic I can live with it I just hate not to say anything and come spring time and the driver is useless.

I'm just going to leave this little tid bit here:

I got my hands on an as-new Diamana S+ 62 (x5ct, stiff) shaft with an optifit adapter. The monster that is Big Bertha just grew into an even bigger monster...my gosh this shaft is incredible. It's like having a completely new driver. Straight, penetrating bombs, I picked up another 10 yards at the range. I honestly couldn't believe it. Either my rangefinder is wrong or...this shaft with Big Bertha is a winner. I honestly think this shaft fits me much better than the black tie (which may be up in the marketplace soon.....just sayin').

Picked up one of these from a fellow THPer.

It's one thing to sort of feel like another driver suits my game better. It's another to watch that same driver lead to a ton of strikes where the ball starts out well, then gets ballooned in the air, and wonder if there might not be an alternative.

Tomorrow I start the testing process between a mid-spin driver and a high-spin driver. Let's see what happens.

Just picked up a new 9 deg BB with ZT60x on the crazy black friday deal on CPO for 153.00 shipped. I am so pumped.

I'm just going to leave this little tid bit here:

I got my hands on an as-new Diamana S+ 62 (x5ct, stiff) shaft with an optifit adapter. The monster that is Big Bertha just grew into an even bigger monster...my gosh this shaft is incredible. It's like having a completely new driver. Straight, penetrating bombs, I picked up another 10 yards at the range. I honestly couldn't believe it. Either my rangefinder is wrong or...this shaft with Big Bertha is a winner. I honestly think this shaft fits me much better than the black tie (which may be up in the marketplace soon.....just sayin').

I have that same shaft in my optiforce. Its a great shaft for sure.

Has anybody had a replacement head for this issue? Has callaway said anything about this?

Has anybody had a replacement head for this issue? Has callaway said anything about this?

Callaway has replaced some heads, shoot them a message or call and see what they have to say, ya never know till ya ask!

While callaway has replaced done heads for this, I see no reason. Does not affect performance at all and the new head will do it again probably

While callaway has replaced done heads for this, I see no reason. Does not affect performance at all and the new head will do it again probably
I had a new club shipped to me but the line on mine was very pronounced and looked really bad. The new one I got has no visible line in the paint but I only hit it a few times so far. Just a note that my original head had the defect in it from day 1 and callaway told me they did have some painting issues on some heads so maybe mine was worse than most others.

I'm really getting along with the tour green at 45". I figured out I need to address the ball out towards the toe in order to get a center strike for some reason. It's a good feeling stepping on the tee box with some confidence. Today the course was packed and we had an audience on several holes. I'm trying not to read the reviews on the 815. More forgiving and less spin!!! Say it ain't so...

Back